Best 2 channel speaker setup for living room, $2,000 new or used...thoughts? recommendations? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
TA 95

If you want to come by and demo some Salk HT2 -TLs ,I live near Tulsa ,shoot me a PM for details

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

A sub probably isn't an option due to WAF. What are the primary differences between the Q and R series? Is it really worth
twice the price?

Gotcha. In a large room a subwoofer is definitely a benefit for the SongTower's, but it isn't necessary for the HT2-TL's. They reach down into the mid 20's in TJHUB's room, which is a good sized room with an opening into the dining room and kitchen. Every speaker benefits from a subwoofer or two in my opinion, but the larger Salk's don't "need" one.

Regarding the Kef's I think the Q series is decent but not in the same league as a speaker like the SongTower or HT2-TL. However, the R series has a much more balanced sound to my ears; timbre accuracy and instrument tone is much better. YMMV, of course.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #33 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

There's only so much a non-high efficiency speaker can do in a real large room fellas; that applies to any speaker. Subwoofers will help, as nocrapman stated, but it won't help much if the room is really swallowing up the acoustic energy. Each room is different, but for huge rooms experimentation is extremely important. The Salk SongTower's may or may not work (I've heard them sound great in a room that size, but it was treated and measured very well).
If it was me, for a large room I'd up the budget and go with something like the Salk HT2-TL's or Kef R-series. When crossed to a subwoofer they don't break a sweat in large rooms unless you're under powering them (also applies to all speakers).
Good luck in your search.

Yeah well that's an issue. No matter what budget you post on here or anywhere...when it comes to home theater everyone always wants you to "up it". If someone has a 1k budget, everyone says go to 1500...if someone has 1500 its' go to 2k...if it's 2k everyone says you need 3k...

The R's are likely significantly better but at 3x the price or at least 2x the price they should be. I'm definitely not opposed to upping the budget but 2k should yield some respectable results I would think.
post #34 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Yeah well that's an issue. No matter what budget you post on here or anywhere...when it comes to home theater everyone always wants you to "up it". If someone has a 1k budget, everyone says go to 1500...if someone has 1500 its' go to 2k...if it's 2k everyone says you need 3k...
The R's are likely significantly better but at 3x the price or at least 2x the price they should be. I'm definitely not opposed to upping the budget but 2k should yield some respectable results I would think.

You're right: we do always say "up the budget." Guilty as charged. biggrin.gif

2-channel in a room that size won't be easy, but you've been given some great recommendations to check out. The SongTower's are a better speaker for music than the Kef Q900 (my opinion), but the latter is more efficient and might play better in your room. It's all about trade-offs, and you'll just have to choose the ones you can live with. Good luck.
6SpeedTA95 likes this.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #35 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

I have a simple budget axiom when it comes to home theater purchases; do your best to set a realistic budget......and then triple it.

What you won't see posted is; I have a $50k budget for a 7.2 system that I want to put in my 25k sq ft mansion. Can you guys give me some recommendations? I want it to have A/B speakers so I can put some speakers on the veranda which overlooks an infinity pool and the L.A. basin.

tongue.gif

-
post #36 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

You're right: we do always say "up the budget." Guilty as charged. biggrin.gif
2-channel in a room that size won't be easy, but you've been given some great recommendations to check out. The SongTower's are a better speaker for music than the Kef Q900 (my opinion), but the latter is more efficient and might play better in your room. It's all about trade-offs, and you'll just have to choose the ones you can live with. Good luck.

Yah for sure. I do it to people all the time too LOL...had a conversation with a friend of mine at work today about Home Theater and another about watches and told them both to up their budget LOL.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I have a simple budget axiom when it comes to home theater purchases; do your best to set a realistic budget......and then triple it.
What you won't see posted is; I have a $25k budget for a 5.1 system that I want to put in my 25k sq ft mansion, can you guys give me some recommendations? I want it to have A/B speakers so I can put some speakers on the veranda overlooking the infinity pool and the L.A. basin at sunset.
tongue.gif

Yah, I'll see what happens with the house, if we come in under budget in other areas and/or bonuses are better at the end of the year I may up the budget. 2k by the time I add in amplifier, pre-amp etc will have me up to 3k or so...but I may be able to find some R900's used as well or on a good sale too smile.gif
post #38 of 38 Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman View Post

I have a similar large area as yours and am not enjoying my beloved Salk STs very much anymore. They were stellar in a large bedroom.
I have been looking for options to remedy the situation.
I am looking at getting Gallo Classico-4. With a 60 day in home trial, its not a bad proposition with shipping free both ways.
I have tried Aperions in the past, one of their large floor standers, and loved it, but it was too much for my 2-ch bedroom setup and had to return them. I have their center channel in my current setup and it is very good. They also have very reasonable pricing along with free shipping from what I remember and their B-stocks are priced even more aggressively.
Good luck!

So did you get the Classico's? How large is your room? Its funny I came across your post. I have a pair of Mozart Grands powered by a Cambridge 840a. Fantastic sound for jazz, female vocals, easy listening, etc. But a complete disappointment when listening to rock or anything that involves some "excitement" unless the volume is really ratcheted up. They are placed in a large room (~3000 cubic feet, 20*18*9- doesnt help that is almost square) with openings into kitchen, study, etc.
I was hoping a pair of Songtowers might be something to look forward too until within the past week I started reading about the Classicos and the Tekton Pendragon. I noticed that classico need to be placed closer to the wall- the opposite of the Mozart Grands.
Curious to know what you finally decided.

Living RoomSqueezebox Touch+ Cambridge Audio 504D --> Cambridge Audio 840a --> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
Office - Sonos ZP90 -> Audioengine A5+
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page