Need help deciding between two speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting ready to start my home theater. Planning on starting with a pair of bookshelves for a small room and adding on later. I've done lots of research over the past several months and narrowed it down to a couple speakers that I plan to pair with a Pioneer Elite VSX-42. The two speakers are the Def Tech SM55s and B&W 685s. They will be used 60% for music and 40% movies/other tv. I don't feel that I can go too far wrong with either, but some helpful advice would be appreciated! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclende4 View Post

They will be used 60% for music and 40% movies/other tv. I don't feel that I can go too far wrong with either, but some helpful advice would be appreciated! smile.gif

Today's TV/Movie soundtracks are engineered for 5.1 or better as opposed to stereo and the sound quality will suffer if expecting to play them back through a pair of speakers. The point, it's no longer a stereo world and everybody's thinking needs to deal with this point when planning a sound system. If you're just going listen to music, you'll be fine but my apologies in advance, your plans quickly go South when you decide to include movie sound tracks.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I think the B&W's would sound superior for music listening, and the Definitive Technology speakers will sound better for movies. Are you planning on getting matching center and rear speakers as well? What is your budget? If you were willing to buy used speakers, I am almost positive that you could get something much much better than either the b&W's or Def Techs. Keep you eyes open for a pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's. Those can often be had for $500 to $600 dollars and they will stomp on the other two speakers you are looking at.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page