Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

The klipsch ref surround speakers such as the rs-62 II's mentioned above are bipole, not dipole.

I misspoke. Yes, you're correct. Error in my post is corrected.

tongue.gif

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 524
If you guys like that rs-62II you should try the KS-525 from their THX ultra 2 line. They worked great!

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

If you guys like that rs-62II you should try the KS-525 from their THX ultra 2 line. They worked great!

Specification differences taken into consideration, other than the extra three hundred bucks, what's the benefit of the THX surrounds over the plain folk surrounds found in the RS-62 II's. confused.gif

The point, based of specs alone (the RS-62 II having the better specs), both being bipole, if one has a decent THX capable subwoofer set-up, coupled with properly applied bass management, my opinion, with sexy actor/actress on the screen in an intense action sequence, both speakers will perform the same at THX reference levels; minus the THX logo of course.

tongue.gif
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

If the system is really 100% HT, no 2 channel music, then you could ditch the Versus Grand Towers and get the Versus Grand Bookshelves instead. Since you are likely to set the x-over at 80Hz, having the extra bass from the towers will be kinda wasted. 2 Bookshelves are $600 while 2 towers are $1800. Then you could even get a better sub, like the PB12-Plus or Rythmik FV15HP and still overall spend less money. How big is your room and how much space do you have for the sub? Is WAF a factor?

With that in mind, what other bookshelves near that price point would you suggest? Also I would like a nice pair of Bipole surrounds (I think). So many options dont know what to pick!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Well if this is your choice,I have to said option 1.
Not too long ago I was trying to decide between the Aperion verus and energy rc-70 but decide to go with the energy rc-70s for the price,performance and quality it was hard to beat.

Those look like some awesome speakers~! COmpetitively priced too. What about if I used 3 of the Centers out of that line up front.. RC-LCR I think they are.

Since its all HT not sure now, based on this thread, if there is benefit to getting the rc-70.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Specification differences taken into consideration, other than the extra three hundred bucks, what's the benefit of the THX surrounds over the plain folk surrounds found in the RS-62 II's. confused.gif
The point, based of specs alone (the RS-62 II having the better specs), both being bipole, if one has a decent THX capable subwoofer set-up, coupled with properly applied bass management, my opinion, with sexy actor/actress on the screen in an intense action sequence, both speakers will perform the same at THX reference levels; minus the THX logo of course.
tongue.gif

Well, in my room the THX ultra speakers, any of them, sound much more neutral than the reference series. It is personal preference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It is personal preference.

Right now I'm being killed by the WAF. frown.gif

Today we came to the compromising solution of, I'll do what I want, when and how I want (with all due respect in mind) and along the way, I don't ask her what she thinks as our options are severely limited, none to her liking. eek.gif
Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Oh sure, now you're trying to confuse me. tongue.gif
My understanding, unless severely under-amping your speakers when cranking the volume knob (introduced distortion from over-amping), there's no benefit to bi-wiring them either.
Think of it in the light of a turbo'd six cylinder vs an eight cylinder engine. If you need a turbo'd six, you should have bought a V-8. tongue.gif

Thats not a good analogy, as there are MANY turbo'd 6 cylinder cars that run laps around V8, V10s and even V12s. Porsche 911 and GTR come to mind.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 549
As others have said, for 100% HT use, I would not be looking at any low sensitivity speakers, especially if you like to push your system any for movie playback. After hearing a system that has the dynamic capability to produce the peaks cleanly, few go back to a low sensitivity speaker.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

Thats not a good analogy, as there are MANY turbo'd 6 cylinder cars that run laps around V8, V10s and even V12s. Porsche 911 and GTR come to mind.

Sure it's a good analogy as most V-8 cars are heavy cars and need the extra grunt and if you need extra grunt because you're running a six, you're underpowered.

I seriously doubt your turbo 6 cylinder Porsche will come close to out pulling or be able to carry a similarly heavy load up a steep hill as my V-10, F-250. And I bet, equal weight being carried; loaded tool boxes, ladder racks and four thousand pounds of sacked concrete, my pickup truck can do Pike's Peak faster than your Porsche 911, in the Summer, with the A/C on high, without overheating. The point, "horses for courses" so I stick by my original analogy.

biggrin.gif

-
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
But think of a high sensitivity speaker as an ultra light sports car. You don't need a lot of horsepower to make it go fast.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

But think of a high sensitivity speaker as an ultra light sports car. You don't need a lot of horsepower to make it go fast.

LOL. I'm running 100dB sensitivity in the mains, each main with it's own 12" sub, bass managed at 120Hz. cool.gif

What I was responding to was the question regarding the need to bi-wire one's speakers. The point I made, if one needs to either bi-Amp or bi-wire their speakers, then they haven't properly matched their Amp's capabilities to their speakers needs.

"Need more power Scottie!"

"I'm giving ya all I have Captain!"

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a sound engineer."

tongue.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Bi amp, bi wire it's all BS either way. Power is power tubes or chips.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Bi amp, bi wire it's all BS either way. Power is power tubes or chips.

In the case of tubes, tubes introduce distortion and have the benefit of mellowing out the harshness of highs. This is objective (easily tested for) as opposed to subjective.

In the case of bi-amping, my understanding, there's inductance that can affect the tweeter, making them sound harsh.

Not being an ET type, I'll let somebody better qualified to clarify my above as I'm simply sharing my limited understanding on the two matters.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If you like more distortion, want to spend a lot more and want less power then I guess tube amps are ok.tongue.gif

I've biwired and biamped several times and I never heard a lick of difference. I think it's BS right up there with exotic cables and stuff.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

If you like more distortion, want to spend a lot more and want less power then I guess tube amps are ok.tongue.gif
I've biwired and biamped several times and I never heard a lick of difference. I think it's BS right up there with exotic cables and stuff.

No argument with your above but there's truth to my post about tubes. See tubes as sort of a cult sort of thing. Not a kool-air kinda cult but one where folks dig the tubed sound and what you describe in your above, is why they're into tubes. Tubes, vinyl and ribbons were made for each other. Tubes are not made for home theater although you can use tubes to drive a home theater system. Tubes are better served with jazz, a darkened room served only by accent light, a glass of wine and a loved one over for an evening's interlude.

Tubes are romance and a warm Summer evening breeze. Tubes are a light evening mist as a couple scurries across a parking lot after a intimate dinner in a far away restaurant or Miles Davis playing in the background while in private, enjoying a twelve year old bourbon and a fine Dominican cigar with just you and the haunting nature of the music while looking out into the distance, never wanting the music to end.

Did I mention I have a thing for tubes, romance and music?

cool.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Tubes do look cool I'll grant you that.