In Ceiling Speaker Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the process of building a home and am in a bit of a predicament. Wife is giving me free reign in the media room, which will be built around the Paradigm Studio 60's I currently own (will probably pick up a cc-690).

Wife has all the say in the living-room, however, and she wants nothing more than in-wall speakers, mounted up high and out of sight. (we have high ceilings, so they have to go in the wall) And I was fine with that. I figured I'd put aim-able in-ceiling speakers on the walls and call it a day. The problem is that I did not think about the mounting depth of aimable in ceiling speakers.

Everything is wired and sheet-rocked....wires are terminated about 8 feet up in the front, and 10+ feet in the back.

Does anyone know of an aimable in-ceiling speaker with a mounting depth shallow enough to fit in a wall? Obviously a lot of compromises are being made so I'm not expecting much in terms of sound quality (get to enjoy uncompromised sound quality in the media room anyhow)...but I'd like to minimize the 'sound from heaven' effect as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystik610 View Post

In the process of building a home and am in a bit of a predicament. Wife is giving me free reign in the media room, which will be built around the Paradigm Studio 60's I currently own (will probably pick up a cc-690).
Wife has all the say in the living-room, however, and she wants nothing more than in-wall speakers, mounted up high and out of sight. (we have high ceilings, so they have to go in the wall) And I was fine with that. I figured I'd put aim-able in-ceiling speakers on the walls and call it a day. The problem is that I did not think about the mounting depth of aimable in ceiling speakers.
Everything is wired and sheet-rocked....wires are terminated about 8 feet up in the front, and 10+ feet in the back.
Does anyone know of an aimable in-ceiling speaker with a mounting depth shallow enough to fit in a wall? Obviously a lot of compromises are being made so I'm not expecting much in terms of sound quality (get to enjoy uncompromised sound quality in the media room anyhow)...but I'd like to minimize the 'sound from heaven' effect as much as possible.

Budget?
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd say 300 a piece? Maybe more if its worth it.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can recommend a decent in-ceiling speaker that I use as my center. Atlantic Technology ICTS-6LCR. I have in-walls for my mains and surrounds, but had to compromise and install in-ceiling speakers for my center channel since I plan to add a non-AT projection screen some day. The speakers sound great, but I should mention I added a 3rd party back-box to enhance the sound quality and contain the ambient sound behind the speaker. I never heard them without the back-box. The speaker runs around $400ea. The woofer is angled and the tweeter is directional (up to 30 degrees I think).

I know a guy who uses these for all of his HT speakers in his living room and is very happy with them.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Just so I get this straight, you are going in-wall mounted high vs in-ceiling? So you need in-wall speakers with pivoting speakers?

Something like this:
http://www.speakercraft.com/products/architectural-speakers/in-wall/aim-lcr?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_sc.tpl&product_id=88&category_id=50

Any chance you can get her to at least lower the speakers? You can pain the grills to match the wall color?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page