Basic Subwoofer Connection Question - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
FWIW, I contacted Polk, who is one of the mfrs I'm looking at, and they said that for their subs that do not have a dedicated LFE input, just use the R/red input for the LFE cable coming from the receiver. There is no advantage at all to using a "Y" connector or degradation in sound/volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

FWIW, I contacted Polk, who is one of the mfrs I'm looking at, and they said that for their subs that do not have a dedicated LFE input, just use the R/red input for the LFE cable coming from the receiver. There is no advantage at all to using a "Y" connector or degradation in sound/volume.

Then, based on your above, for your choice in Polk, it don't matter and the point is moot.

cool.gif
post #33 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Then, based on your above, for your choice in Polk, it don't matter and the point is moot.
cool.gif

Agreed. But I also learned a few things during the course of this thread so it was worth it to me. Thanks to everyone who participated.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Again, depending on the topology of the summing it could have higher sensitivity. But as for how loud it will play that's determined by the amp power supply rail voltage and driver excursion limit, and neither is altered by how many inputs are used.

Also a boost in the source signal will result in the sub being louder. But splitting the source signal in half, then hooking up each half, doesn't result in the source signal being twice as powerful which would result in the sub being louder.

Assuming the Klipsch sub isn't a dual voice coil (having 2 sets of + and - terminals, one for each channel), then the amp can only send 1 signal (+ and -) to the speaker. If you have signal coming in via both L and R inputs, if it bridges these internally and sends to the single + and - terminals on the speaker, then I might see how this could possibly make the speaker slightly louder.

I'll have to try it out on my RW-12D to see if I notice any difference. When I first read someone post that you could make it louder by just adding a Y splitter to a single LFE cable I thought it was BS and wasn't possible. But reading more about it, now I'm not so sure.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post

If you have signal coming in via both L and R inputs, if it bridges these internally and sends to the single + and - terminals on the speaker, then I might see how this could possibly make the speaker slightly louder.
The maximum output of a speaker is determined by how far the cone can move. If your amp input sums the L/R to double the voltage that's going into the power amp it still can't put out any more voltage than the driver excursion can make use of. If it did all you'd get for your effort is high distortion and eventually a blown driver.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The maximum output of a speaker is determined by how far the cone can move.

Exactly: Which is why driver size makes no difference.

Oh. Wait. Driver size does make a difference. So it turns out that the maximum output is determined by size and how far it can move.
... and is frequency dependent.

Ok. So the maximum output is determined by driver size, how far it can move, and the frequency being output.
... and the effect of the baffle

OK. size, movement, frequency, baffle.. That's definitely it.
... and how well it couples to the air (see ported, transmission lines, and tubes)

That's so many other factors: I'm gonna have to say that Bill was talking out his butt. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here Bill.
post #37 of 38 Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here Bill.

Can I? wink.gif

Of course he was talking about how loud a given sub can play... i.e. if you sum the inputs you still can't get it to get past xmax to play louder overall.

post #38 of 38 Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Can I? wink.gif

Of course he was talking about how loud a given sub can play... i.e. if you sum the inputs you still can't get it to get past xmax to play louder overall.
A reasonable enough counter-point :P
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page