Speaker Shootout - eD Cinema 12's, JTR Triple 8's, CHT SHO-10's, Bill Fitzmaurice DR 250's. - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 249 Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101

Looking at the DR graph, I'll bet squashing that 8k peak would do wonders for their sound quality....

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 249 Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 50
that would be a good thread, especially with members like you that test a lot of different speakers and subs in the same room. I am finishing up some theater work this weekend (adding T12 and another T8 tot he mix) when I am done with that maybe I'll start a thread with my new measurements, if you start one first I'll just join in.

br

Pre-Pro: Emotiva UMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #243 of 249 Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 471
post #244 of 249 Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Ordered 5 SHO 10s today and I couldn't be more excited! I hope they dont take too long to get here but if so its ok cause I still have to order a pj and AT screen but im giving myself untill this time next week to make my final decision.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #245 of 249 Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I am creating another speaker to best my current setup, it should be very interesting. More to come and of course once in motion I will post in my thread.
post #246 of 249 Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for those of you who really liked the SHO-10 speakers: Was there something in particular that could have been added to make it better? How high was the cross over? I know carp used to have an MBM-12 and I wondered if one or more of those would have made it even better or not?

Awesome comparison between these speaker BTW. I ale wish I had the room to enjoy set a sweet set-up! Some day... lol
post #247 of 249 Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Question for those of you who really liked the SHO-10 speakers: Was there something in particular that could have been added to make it better? How high was the cross over? I know carp used to have an MBM-12 and I wondered if one or more of those would have made it even better or not?
Awesome comparison between these speaker BTW. I ale wish I had the room to enjoy set a sweet set-up! Some day... lol

While mid bass isn't lacking on ours, I've planned making towers and surrounds with dual 10s. Other thoughts on the CHT forum are could use a Eminence lab12 for LF and make 3way full range towers. My opinion there's plenty of mids with more wattage like what was available at this get together.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #248 of 249 Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 144
What are you creating MK? Will it be available for other people to use? If you are correct in saying that it will best all of your other speakers, then I am definitely interested in seeing what you are coming up with!
post #249 of 249 Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

We used a 80 hz crossover for everything if I remember right, DesertDome will know for sure. At the time of the GTG I would have said that the midbass in all the speakers was fine and nothing was missing. However, now that high efficiency speakers in my room that have dual 12's and dip down to 60hz instead of 80hz the difference is obvious. With the much improved mid-bass I find that I don't really need to boost the subs and run them hot with music anymore.

So, yeah the mid-bass could be improved. HSU MBM's can help, but I was never a big fan. If I put it too far away I didn't get the punch I was after and if I put it too close I could localize it. However, if you had 2 MBM's and had them up by the mains that would be interesting and could work out very well but I don't know for sure. I do think that a tower MBM with dual 10's would be an obvious improvement in the midbass, but it's looking like we aren't going to see that.

Also, the highs in the eD's, 888's, and MBM's sound a little... scratchy? Is that the word? I never would have noticed it before hearing the other H.E. speakers. Before hearing a direct head to head comparison I thought the highs were great in my speakers and the other 2.

Still, the great value in the MBM's is undeniable. Such great dynamics and sound for so little money.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page