Speakers Popping when Sound Interrupted on Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this is a totally normal thing that I am being completely OCD about, but I've noticed in certain games that when the sound is interrupted I sometimes hear a "pop" in the audio. Say for example, in the XBLA game From Dust, if I pause the game during a loud thunder crack or rolling wave, I tend to hear a "pop" as it pauses. In other games, if I cut off a cutscene mid-play by skipping it etc. I'll also get a pop when the sound is interrupted.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my speakers? I connect my 360 to a monitor via VGA connection, and then run the audio to my PC speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump
post #3 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Probably normal. You are cutting off the sound in the middle of a transient; the popping noise is the system re-equilibrating around the common-mode point. Also, some audio tracks do not break off cleanly so it may be happening in the audio codecs or sound card. Probably not a problem.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I've definitely heard pops coming from track changes in purely digital signal streams, like when playing music on my computer (rarely) or through the USB port on a couple of my receivers (less rarely). I think this is just a switching goof-up in the sound processing hardware; I think it's similar to what you've been experiencing and I think it's harmless.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page