Any advice regarding surround sound in basement? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. My name is Matt and this is my first post, though I've read my fair share. My wife and I just bought a new house, and the basement is mine(!) to do with how I please. I was hoping you guys/girls could give me some speaker advice. My basement dimensions are 11x14ft with 9' ceilings. The layout is such where the hall is about 6 ft wide and the entire basement is open (no doors). My sofa is flush to one wall and faces the televsion on the opposite wall. The viewing distance is about 10 ft.

I have read/heard great things about the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for smaller rooms, but am not sure if this is the best system from me. I am debating between a 5.1 system and a 2.1 system and am looking to spend no more than $500. I will mainly use the speakers for sports and movies.

With the size of the room and sofa being flush to the rear wall, should I even be considering 5.1? If no, what would you recommend for a 2.1 system?

I already have an onkyo txt-n609 receiver.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey Matt--welcome to AVS. One idea is a package deal from HSU. Your room is small enough where a good 2.1 or 3.1 might work nicely. You could also upgrade later on to a 5.1 setup as budget allows. Also take a look at deals on the Energy RC-10 and Energy 10.3 sub.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hello Matt, welcome to AVS smile.gif. For your future "man cave" I would reccomend going with a 3.1 set up as you listed your preference is movies & sports. A 2.1 set will work but it would be much more suited towards music as a center channel will provide a much better experinace with movies, the main dialog is set towrds the center channel. There are many brands to choice from thats for sure, so you may want to go out ( if you can that is) and have a listen for yourself.... even if its Best Buy they carry Polk, Klipsch & such. A 5.1 is an excellent set up for movies but as holt7153 mentioned that can always be added down the road.

As far as the couch flush wi the wall a 5.1 system will work fine as the surrounds ( sides ) should be mounted to the side of the seating area, but that also depends on your layout to rather or not you can mount or use stands .... just depends on layout that is.

IMHO I believe tower speakers ( L&R) will give you a much better experiance than say bookshelf type.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response! Now that you mention it holt, I did mean 3.1. Do Hsuresearch speakers ever go on sale? Also, skalley, what brand and model of tower speakers would you recommend for my situation? Would a 3-way tower remove the need for a sub?

So overall, you two wouldn't go with the energy take classic then?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else have a different opinion or agree with the previous posters? I'd really appreciate any other comments/opinions/advice.

Also, can anyone recommend floor standing speakers for less than $500 a pair? Or at that price, should I just go to bookshelves?

Lastly if I go with l/r floor standing speakers should I still get a center speaker? Tia again
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
You should get a center and sub no matter if you get towers or bookshelf speakers. Don't forget like some ppl do bookshelf speakers don't really cost less money than floorstanding towers because you have to buy some sort of stand or mount for them so I say get towers they sound more dynamic and look more impressive and usually have a deeper bass response for more headroom.

If you want crystal clear speakers with tons of dynamics that are very affordable and look amazing too, check out these (I own their bigger brothers)

BIC Acoustech PL-76 L&R http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1538&sc=32

BIC Acoustech PL-26 Center http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1537&sc=33

SUB:

BIC Acoustech PL-200 http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc=28

OR

Energy S10.3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

Shawn
post #7 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Update: So I am piecing together my ht, slowly. Currently I am at 3.0 with energy rc-lcr as center channel and rc10's as fr and fl (on stands). Still breaking them all in but extremely happy thus far.

Now onto the .1 part. For a budget of $200, is the energy s10.3 my best bet? I would go higher but the WAF for the entire setup is pushing it.

Lastly, for rear satellites down the road, I was thinking rc micros or another set of rc10's. Kinda like going with the same brand though I've read it's only important with the fronts. Any suggestions for rear speakers that might stay around $300 for the pair?

Thanks again everyone.

When I figure out how to post pics, I will post one of the setup.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
For $200 yes the Energy S-10.3 is the best..... However if you can stretch your budget to $280 to $300 the BIC/Acoustech PL-200 is pretty good as well and is a nicer looking sub so higher WAF value.

Shawn
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 AM

Liked: 16
BIC F12 for the sub. One of the least expensive but nicest subs I have heard.

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page