Building new house and need help with surround sound quote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are building a new house and have never had a surround sound system before but are considering one now. Our budget is ~$2500 and the sound guy who works with our builder gave us the following quote:

SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS: (IF DESIRED)

2 – Proficient C660 125 watt Ceiling Mount Front Speakers
2 – Proficient C620 100 watt Ceiling Mount Rear Speakers
1 – Proficient F400gn 100 watt Surface Mount Center Channel Speaker
1 – Proficient PS10 Powered 120 watt multi-voltage Subwoofer

TOTAL COST: $2,350.00

Is this a good price and are these good speakers? I would need to add a receiver to this correct? The tv I am going to buy is the Sharp Aquos 70' and I currently have a Sony Google TV blu ray box that I want to keep as well.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snvyas View Post

We are building a new house and have never had a surround sound system before but are considering one now. Our budget is ~$2500 and the sound guy who works with our builder gave us the following quote:
SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS: (IF DESIRED)
2 – Proficient C660 125 watt Ceiling Mount Front Speakers
2 – Proficient C620 100 watt Ceiling Mount Rear Speakers
1 – Proficient F400gn 100 watt Surface Mount Center Channel Speaker
1 – Proficient PS10 Powered 120 watt multi-voltage Subwoofer
TOTAL COST: $2,350.00
Is this a good price and are these good speakers? I would need to add a receiver to this correct? The tv I am going to buy is the Sharp Aquos 70' and I currently have a Sony Google TV blu ray box that I want to keep as well.
Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would completely argue against the use of in-ceiling speakers for home theater/surround sound purposes unless they were the type which are technically mounted in/on the ceiling but the drivers are directed or aimed at the listening area (and still wouldn't want that set up as the speakers are way, way too high!). Also, the center channel is not listed as being a 'ceiling mounted' speaker. This would imply that it is (roughly) closer to the plane of your head/ears while the fronts are in the ceiling. Very bad idea. My opinion is that you are working with someone who does not truly understand surround sound design and could get far better product for $2,350.00 (realizing that this figure may also include labor, wire, etc.).

My two cents, soon to increase to three cents due to inflation.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb09 View Post

I would completely argue against the use of in-ceiling speakers for home theater/surround sound purposes unless they were the type which are technically mounted in/on the ceiling but the drivers are directed or aimed at the listening area (and still wouldn't want that set up as the speakers are way, way too high!). Also, the center channel is not listed as being a 'ceiling mounted' speaker. This would imply that it is (roughly) closer to the plane of your head/ears while the fronts are in the ceiling. Very bad idea. My opinion is that you are working with someone who does not truly understand surround sound design and could get far better product for $2,350.00 (realizing that this figure may also include labor, wire, etc.).
My two cents, soon to increase to three cents due to inflation.

I have to agree. Especially with regards to your mains. You ideally want the mains to be in-wall speakers or in-room speakers, not in-ceiling speakers. It is much harder to get a good soundstage and imaging when your speakers are in the ceiling, and for the most part, the sound is coming at you from above, and not in front of you. You also typically lose some of the dynamics of the sound since much of it is coming down and hitting in front of the listening position. The Proficient C660 speakers are mounted at an angle for the mains but it is only 15 degrees. Trust me, I own in-ceiling speakers in my main living room, and even with an angled woofer and tweeter, the sound is not the same as a good in-wall or in-room speakers where the tweeter is closer to ear level. There are some better in-ceiling speaker solutions out there for mains, but you will have to increase your budget. If at all possible, go in-wall.

For rear or side surrounds, in-ceiling is less of an issue. I would still recommend in-wall if possible, but if you are forced in-ceiling here, it is compromise that is doable.

Unless you told the installer you had to have in-ceiling main left and right speakers and an in-room center channel, I would question his/her competance. This is just a bad idea.

Proficient is decent stuff, but you can most likely get better. I would definitely go with a different sub. The problem is your installer is a huge part of that quote. Honestly, installing in-ceiling and in-wall speakers is not hard. If you have the builder run the cables for you, you could spend more money on getting better quality speakers and install them yourself. It is as simple as using a stud finder, the speaker template, and a drywall knife to cut out a hole the size of the template. Any novice can do this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page