In-wall bluetooth speakers for bathroom. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello,

I am looking for a solution to provide dedicated sound to my bathroom. I bought a portable bose bluetooth speaker and although i like it, the sound is muffled when i am in the shower.

I am building a new house and am looking for a solution to provide dedicated audio that I can send from my iphone to just those speakers. I initially thought of doing an in-wall iport and having that hard wired to an A/V receiver which would power an in wall speaker that is located in the ceiling above my shower. But I didn't really want to install the iport b/c if rumors are true, this will eventually become obsolete when apple introduces their new connector with iphone 5. I was wanting to do something that would not become obsolete.

What I was thinking was one or two speakers installed in the ceiling above my shower that is/are directly powered by hardwiring to the house's electrical system so I don't have to worry about batteries or any a/v receiver to power it. I want it to be bluetooth compatible so I can directly play wirelessly from my iphone/ipad/whatever other bluetooth device I want.

Does anybody know of anything like this? I tried searching the internet and these forums to no avail.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
If a product like I detailed in my OP doesn't exist, would a setup like this work (pic from an amazon.com reviewer)?

This is a Logitech bluetooth speaker adapter hooked up to an inexpensive ($20) independent amp that gets great reviews. Just hide these under a cabinet or something and have them always plugged in. And run speaker wire from the amp to some inexpensive in wall speakers.

I'd still prefer an all-in-one solution as discussed above, but this would suffice if you guys think it would work.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,
Im looking to do the same thing you did last year. Looks like you did a lot of research to figure this out.
Please let me know how you made out.
Thanks, Bill
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Have any of you decided what you are doing? I'm in a similar situation, 160sqft bathroom and i'd like to put in recessed speakers with a receiver mounted in the wall/cabinet. I was thinking maybe marine speakers & radio like the Clarion M502 hooked up to a 12VDC power converter.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
First of all, if you're going to the trouble of installing in wall speakers - don't use crummy gear, like that Lepai amp.

Second, I really wouldn't want powered speakers in a bathroom. Too much potential for problems.

Just use regular speakers, run to a source and an amp. There are a ton of amps designed for in-house systems.

For iPhone - Airplay is another option for source, integrated into a lot of apps. Maybe one of these:
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Amp options:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-100a-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B004JK8BDK

http://www.amazon.com/Russound-X75-2-Channel-Source-Amplifier/dp/B003OAKADA

And of course the Sonos gear is another option.
http://www.sonos.com/system
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Similar

Hi guys,
I have a similar situation. I have a similar situation and some audio/wiring experience but could use some insite. I moved into a house, that has two nice in-wall speakers in the bathroom. For weeks I looked around trying to figure how how the previous home owners used them. I even e-mailed the previous owner and they said they didn't know either, a previous owner had installed them. I took them out of the wall and they were in fact wired, but they are in an external wall that is spray foamed, so figuring out where, was about impossible. One day up in the attic I spotted some speaker wire. Coming out of the general area above the bathroom. I tracked them half way across the house and they dipped back into a wall. I roughed what wall it would have been in the house. I could not figure out for the life of me where they went. I could find nothing that say "hey speakers wires were used here". So I grabbed the wires and they pulled up into the attic pretty easily. I did test them on a portable stereo and they are in fact to the speakers. Obviously I'm not going to put a stereo in the attic. I want the speakers to run off bluetooth to make it easy for the wife to use. I could use a logitic bluetooth and run to a mini amp somewhere. But I want the system to come on without having to go turn the amp on. Is it possible to have a D type amp that would turn itself on when the bluetooth connected to the logitech and the logitech sent out a signal. Sort of similar to a powered Sub amp coming on with a signal from a receiver. Then I noticed a system like this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1CZRHY/...5f97aba2c9cbda
Seems to be similar to what I might want all in one package, but its more expensive than a logitech and an amp. Thoughts on how to maybe make this sytem totally hands free with no switches that does not keep an amp going all the time? I'd like to hide this in the closet next to the bathroom. I could drop the speaker wires to it and find a way to bring power to the system.

User Tag List