Speakers damaged? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I apologise in advance for the somewhat newbish question.

I had invited some guests over this evening for dinner, and to my horror their little kid began poking his fingers into my B&W CM9s and CMC2s tweeters before I could run to stop him. Unfortunately, part of the tweeters of both speakers are now recessed... please see the attached pictures. Not knowing anything about how speakers emit sounds, are these tweeters now damaged, or is it purely cosmetic damage? If my worst fears are confirmed and there is enough damage to cause audio degredation, is this an easy and cheapish fix from B&W or will it set me back quite a lot?

Thank you for your kind help

IMG-20120805-00025.jpg 1292k .jpg file IMG-20120805-00026.jpg 1421k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120805-00025.jpg (1.26 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20120805-00026.jpg (1.39 MB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 32
You could try the heated straight pin to pull the drivers out, then you just dab a very small amount of clear nail polish over the pin hole. This is why small kids and a adult's "toys" do not mix. Sounds like we have a parenting problem though, that the parents should take blame for their child not behaving.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the super quick reply gregzoll, much appreciated. So is the sound now compromised if I leave the drivers as they are? Or do I have to pull the drivers out to restore what I had?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragfeaster777 View Post

Thanks for the super quick reply gregzoll, much appreciated. So is the sound now compromised if I leave the drivers as they are? Or do I have to pull the drivers out to restore what I had?

Try pulling out first by taking tweeters out. See what you come up against if possible. If lucky it should be a standard unscrew, pull out tweeter, push tweeter back out and reinsert.

butter and jelly please.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 32
The heated pin is a very old trick that works, but you need patience. Tweeters are sealed units, there is no pushing the domes back up, just by taking them out of the units. If anything, I would just contact B&W first before doing anything and see what they say about fixing the damage. Next is then making sure that all parents with children that enter, sign a release waiver, that the party of the first part has every right to slap the party of the second part's child's back of the hand with a ruler.

I have waited almost 16 years to finally invest into a decent system. Of course, I have and will be repeating to my son numerous times about the rules when using dad's system.

I remember when my sister's kid pushed in the domes of my dad's floor speakers, and of course, I being the youngest son and only kid left in the house, got the pleasure of fixing the tweeters. Those speakers lasted our family well over 19 years, due to I also replaced all of the speakers back around 1999 with all new drivers. I know that my nephew still had them after he moved out, so at this point my fair guess is who knows where they went after that.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 PM

Attached with tape and gently pull out. Having worked in audio retail over the years have don this many times.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page