I'm building my first HT system and would greatly appreciate any input you might have. The main factors influencing my purchase are two fold: 1) We are definitely on a budget 2) as such I'll be purchasing components in several stages. The initial purchase I'm considering is a budget entry level receiver and a "great value" pair of bookshelf speakers which I'm hoping to purchase for around $500 total. I will probably make the sub and center my next purchase and eventually upgrade to larger fronts and move the bookshelf pair to the rear. Does this seem like a good plan for someone on a minimal budget?
Our space is about 12'x 15 but with fairly tall ceiling with large windows on 2 sides. This system will be about 50% movies and 50% music for the room. I've looked into several receivers and I'm pretty well sold on the Denon 1612 since its now available for $229, however I'm still open to suggestions if someone wants to convince me otherwise.
As for speakers I've gone and listend to these in the same room:
1) Bowers and Wilkins 686B's - I really like these but they are outside my price range
2) Definitive Technology ProMonitor series - I liked the 800's and they seem to have pretty good reviews from a lot of sources
3) Energy CB-10's - I didn't like these as much as the ProMonitor 800's. They didn't have as good a soundstage and the highs were a bit sharp in my opinion.
I've read a lot about and am considering the following in the similar price range:
4) PSB Alpha B1's - seem to have a ton of good reviews as an excellent value in the lower price range. I tried to go listen to these today but the only dealer in the area was closed
5) Paradigm Atom Monitor - The v.6 is not the most recent version but is within my price range and reviews have placed it alongside the Alpha b1's
6) Pioneer SP-BS41-LR - read several good reviews and is well within budget
7) Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's
I know a lot of it boils down to personal preference but I can't find anywhere nearby to compare the Paradigms and the Wharfedales and the ones I have heard have been in different rooms and powered by different equipment. I would appreciate any suggestions or tell me your personal preference and why. - Thanks!