Most natural sounding 'closed style' headphones? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Alright, so i have a pair of Sennheiser HD595's which i upgraded to about a year ago, from the
HD550's and i'm absolutely in love with them. They sound amazing for gaming and when watching movies.
Problem IS, is that they leak a ton of sound like most open styled ear phones do and whenever i'm gaming
i get so paranoid that other people can hear it down the hallway, or that i'm disturbing their sleep.

Now i ended up buying a pair of closed style Sennheiser HD380's a while back because of this very reason
but i was not exactly too thrilled with the less natural more closed in sound, plus they fit too tight
and practically make your ears sweat and discumfurt starts to kick in after a while. Yet they do the job
in that they leak next to no sound which is great! But meh, in the end i just wasn't too happy with the
unatural-ish sound and comfort factor.

Budget is around $200...What are the most natural sounding closed headphones that sound simular to the
HD595's or HD550's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You have them already...the HD380.

B.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Liked: 10
I use Sennehiser PC 360s and 350s for my gaming. The 360s sound a lot more natural due to their open style but the 350s still sound great and give me the privacy for when I need it.

The only thing is I need the microphone for when I'm gaming and I'm guessing you do not.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

You have them already...the HD380.
B.

Ya, 'had' them. XP
They really are the next best thing in terms of closed design when stacked up to the HD555 and HD595?
Any other recommendations?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 AM

Liked: 12
I love my Denon AH D1001. Super comfortable, very accurate and natural sounding. The only problem with them is that after about a year of abuse they gave up and the ear cup broke from its attachment... still trying to figure out how to fix them. But if these aren't portable and you will mostly use them in one place or you are more careful than I am they will bring you much joy. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAHD100/DENON-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphone/1.html This is the newer version...

post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Try the AKG K 550. US list is three bills, but they can be ordered new from Amazon in Germany for far less, including shipping.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Try the AKG K 550. US list is three bills, but they can be ordered new from Amazon in Germany for far less, including shipping.

Have you looked at Headroom's measurements? It's about all there is to go on, objectively speaking.
I have been interested in the k550s, looking for the same thing as you.
I always thought the 595s I used to own were very similar to the K601s I still listen to nearly every day, with recessed highs that give the Senns the impression of more low end. Headroom's curve suggests this as well.
I tried the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (600 ohm version). They sound very similar to the HD595s. They just were uncomfortable for me. The headband would hurt after 20 minutes or so, and they have a lot more clamping force than the 595s. But that's as close to the 595s sonically that I've found. I ultimately got the AKG k271mkII, which is super comfortable, but really lacking below the mids. After the 595s, you would be disappointed.
I haven't heard the k550s, but Headroom's curve suggest they won't sound as "natural" as the 595s. They seem to be voiced to compete with Beats.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Another thought--
You may want to look at the new PSB headphones. I haven't heard them or seen measurements, but my experience with Paul Barton's loudspeakers tell sme they probably will follow the natural response curve you seem to be looking for.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Innerfidelity measurements seem more thorough and they seem to think they are the best closed phones in the price range. But I don't think one knows until one hears them. They measure and review positively enough that if you need a closed back phone, this is one to audition, for sure. I'm not saying it will win.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Sennheiser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page