Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I guess I put this off far too long and now am looking for a 3.0 speaker setup L/C/R..

I currently have a HSU VTF-1 Sub in the mix with a Sony SS-MF600H main Speakers and Sony Center Channel.. Now I would like to stay budget minded for all 3- L/C/R but reasonably better then what I currently have.. So I would say anout $600-800 for the 3 speakers..

I did make the room mainly for Home Theater use which I still use but I mostly recently been using it for Music.. So I would say about 60% Music and 40% HT..

I have a 92" Front Projection screen I sit about 12' back.. Now I would like to get some Good Big Mains NO WAF To Quabble about.. Something similar in size to the Sony';s but of Better Quality..

I do listen to Mostly DVD-A/SACD Multichannel music (5.1 Analog Connected) so put that in your considerations for the 3.0 setup..

I also have a bluray player that uses the lossles codecs they offer through an analog connection..

I have a Marantz 4001 Receiver NOT looking to upgrade that or my Players just the speakers right now as I have a Tight budget..

I would prefer an Internet Direct as they usually offer more reasonable Prices or basically I am looking for a noticable Improvement for 6-800$$..

EDIT: I found these Jamos are they decent?? http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544351896/jamo-s-426hcs-3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Hi All,
I guess I put this off far too long and now am looking for a 3.0 speaker setup L/C/R..
I currently have a HSU VTF-1 Sub in the mix with a Sony SS-MF600H main Speakers and Sony Center Channel.. Now I would like to stay budget minded for all 3- L/C/R but reasonably better then what I currently have.. So I would say anout $600-800 for the 3 speakers..
I did make the room mainly for Home Theater use which I still use but I mostly recently been using it for Music.. So I would say about 60% Music and 40% HT..
I have a 92" Front Projection screen I sit about 12' back.. Now I would like to get some Good Big Mains NO WAF To Quabble about.. Something similar in size to the Sony';s but of Better Quality..
I do listen to Mostly DVD-A/SACD Multichannel music (5.1 Analog Connected) so put that in your considerations for the 3.0 setup..
I also have a bluray player that uses the lossles codecs they offer through an analog connection..
I have a Marantz 4001 Receiver NOT looking to upgrade that or my Players just the speakers right now as I have a Tight budget..
I would prefer an Internet Direct as they usually offer more reasonable Prices or basically I am looking for a noticable Improvement for 6-800$$..
EDIT: I found these Jamos are they decent?? http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544351896/jamo-s-426hcs-3

Well I been running some Room Analyzation with REW.. Now I had also went to Hifi House yesterday and heard some Expensive speakers and from what I gather my System is lacking in the Highs.. Even the Graph I took showed that I should of caught it but it went right over my head until I had looked at the Graph Again..

Now I was listening to a Speaker By Wilson Audio, Personnely I have never heard of them was just wondering if they are a Really Good Speaker as I do know one thing they were about 19k for the pair..

WEll since I got to listen to some High End stuff considering my entire 7.1 speaker set was about $1200 it did NOT fair to bad I guess except in the High range..

I also demoed a 9k Sub wich was supposed to have 8 10" woofers and was running through a James Bond Blu ray pretty effertlessly..It was one of the new James bond movies..

Now I have had this post here for some time and still no responces is that because my Budget is just too low or I I am not sure but I thought I would get some sort of postings..

post #3 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
out of budget.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I would just as soon listen to the clock radio in a Motel 6 as listen to the speakers you have now...lol. I understand that they were very cheap, but...they were very cheap. What can one say.

For $600, you can get a pair of Boston Acoustics CS226C speakers and a CS225C center speaker (priced on Amazon). Those are very good-sounding speakers and have an 8 ohm impedance and good sensitivity, which makes them ideal for your receiver.

Those will sound so much better than what you have that you may have a hard time believing it. It will be NICE!

They are MUCH better than anything you will get from Jamo, Energy, Polk, or Mirage for a similar price IMO; definitely the best sound going in that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Hi All,
post #5 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Plenty of decent options for 6-800 dollars (including the BA suggestion)! A couple others...
-Polk M70s and matching center
-Infinity Primus P362 and matching center

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #6 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #7 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The infinities aren't a bad choice. To help put in a little perspective, perhaps the Polk audio monitor 70 and Polk cs2 center might be better because I started with the smaller brother monitor 60 and they weren't enough. The m70 was nice step up. You can get 2 m70's and a cs2 shipped for $500 total from new egg if you wait for the $200 and $100 price point respectively. Maybe a little cheaper if you get lucky and find the better than usual sale. But for the price the infinities cost they're hard to beat for a budget speaker.

butter and jelly please.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Just be aware that Inifinty/HK has misrepresented the impedance on the 363s. Audioholics tested them and found that they should be rated at 4 ohms. For me, that would be a deal breaker unless I had a receiver rated for 4 ohms, although other people on AVS are less concerned about it.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 19 Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I was lucky to be able to compair the Polk Monitor speakers with the Infinity Primus speakers, in my house with my AVR. After about a week of going back and forth between the two, I ended up buying the Polk Monitors becuase I felt them to be fairly equivalent and the Polks were about 100/pr cheaper. Polk are alittle brighter, Infinity's alittle warmer, the Infinitys win in the efficiency (although I couldn't see much difference)...but both had enough bass and volume and were quality entry level speakers.
PS for clarity (and not bass) my SLS Q line speakers with a ribbon tweeter are better than both!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey,

I was looking at some Subs HSU/SVS and saw they have some Pretty good priced speakers, I was wondering what everybody thought of those sets..either SVS or HSU 5.0 set with my HSU Sub and Marantz 4001 Reciever..

I really like the VTF-15H Sub.. in paticular the review someone did about the Organ Symphony #3 and how it plays those low notes as effertlessly as a Flute solo..

post #11 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would just as soon listen to the clock radio in a Motel 6 as listen to the speakers you have now...lol. I understand that they were very cheap, but...they were very cheap. What can one say.
For $600, you can get a pair of Boston Acoustics CS226C speakers and a CS225C center speaker (priced on Amazon). Those are very good-sounding speakers and have an 8 ohm impedance and good sensitivity, which makes them ideal for your receiver.
Those will sound so much better than what you have that you may have a hard time believing it. It will be NICE!
They are MUCH better than anything you will get from Jamo, Energy, Polk, or Mirage for a similar price IMO; definitely the best sound going in that price range.

Actually I just bought 2 A360s, A225C, and 2 A25s for $580 to the door.

post #12 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulalleybs View Post

Actually I just bought 2 A360s, A225C, and 2 A25s for $580 to the door.

A solid deal

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
what kind of music do you listen to?
post #14 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

A solid deal

Off accessories4less by the way.

I'm pretty pleased with it especially since the towers alone were what, $800 each a year ago?

post #15 of 19 Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

what kind of music do you listen to?

WEll I listen Mostly to SACD/DVD-A Multi-Channel music of all kinds.. mostly Rock/Classic Rock.. I also listen to Telarcs CD of Organ Symphony #3 and some SACD of Pipe Organ music..

Pink Floyd DSoTM/WYWH SACD
ELP BSS DVD-A
Queensryche Empire DVD-A
Peter Frampton DVD-A
John Frank Organ music SACD
Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3
Van Halen Early Years all Remastered CD's..

I guess you get the idea..

post #16 of 19 Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I see why you would like that 15 inch powered subwoofer to feel the bass vibrating from the organ music. it would sound pretty awesome.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I see why you would like that 15 inch powered subwoofer to feel the bass vibrating from the organ music. it would sound pretty awesome.

YES while my VTF-1 Sub handled it pretty good, I could ONly imagine what the VTF-15H can do ..

post #18 of 19 Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

this is just my opinion, but for your music I think that a 12 or 15 inch powered subwoofer would be best for you. I used to listen to classical music and classic rock on 15 inch woofers and liked the way that it sounded. One of my friends thinks that 12 inch subwoofers sound better in the trunk of a car and 15 inch woofers better in a house.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page