Studio Monitors for Music (Entertainment) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it plausible to use studio monitors in an entertainment system (100% music)? I am shooting for a 2.1 system but it looks like people with studio monitors don't have subs?

Why is this class of speakers used by recording professionals but from what I can tell avoided in entertainment systems? Please excuse my ignorance lol.

I plan to do most of my listening at a desk (which is where the speakers will be), which seems to be ideal for studio speakers but from time to time I like to sit on my bed roughly 10 ft away. At this distance are studio monitors, in general, total crap? Room is average non-master bedroom size if it matters.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Liked: 53
Yes it is possible to use studio monitors. Many studios have subs. I don't know why they are overlooked but there can be a lot of advantages to the powered monitors over passive designs. They will be fine at 10' away. There are a lot of great studio monitors and no reason to avoid them.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have been wondering the same thing. A couple of years ago I had the chance to listen to a pair of Dyn BM5s. I was there to buy a pair of C-1s, but long story short I spent more then a couple of minutes in front of the BM5s and was VERY impressed for the amount of sound and clarity that this pair of "monitors" had to offer. According to their website, the MK IIs can hit 117db. I'm not plugging Dynaudio, they DON'T need my help for sure, this just happened to be the first pair of powered monitors that I actually paid more then just a little attention to. Danes don't lie.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 10
this is cool because i'm looking at doing the same thing bm5's for music and tv a 2.1 system with a old mcintosh preamp.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaceship1 View Post

Is it plausible to use studio monitors in an entertainment system (100% music)? I am shooting for a 2.1 system but it looks like people with studio monitors don't have subs?
Why is this class of speakers used by recording professionals but from what I can tell avoided in entertainment systems? Please excuse my ignorance lol.
I plan to do most of my listening at a desk (which is where the speakers will be), which seems to be ideal for studio speakers but from time to time I like to sit on my bed roughly 10 ft away. At this distance are studio monitors, in general, total crap? Room is average non-master bedroom size if it matters.
Thanks!

A suggestion, based on your above, think about a pair of, oft overlooked, high quality, cordless headphones by Sennheiser.