Def Tech Procinema 1000 or Studiomonitor series ???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I'm a newbie to the forums here and would greatly appreciate your advice:

I am just about to move house and am going to upgrade my home theatre kit.

I have done my research and had settled on the Def Tech procinema 1000 (but substituting the procenter 1000 for the 2000)..............that was until i saw a review of the new studiomonitor 55 setup (see link)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/definitive-technology-studiomonitor-55-speaker-system

The room i will be using is 5.2m x 3.6m and i will be using the room lengthways (ie. fronts and rears on the short sides).

Can anyone tell me how these systems compare? I can find very little about the studiomonitors but everything i can find is all praise. Is it suitable for hometheatre and music and would i do well to spend a little extra on the studio monitors. I prefer the look of the procinema, but at the end of the day it has got to be the sound that prevails.............would there be much of a difference?

would the 55's be ok of that size room or do i need to be looking at the 65's?

My current setup is a pair of wharfedale mfm-7 floorstanding speakers with wharfedale surrounds driven by a sony receiver. I will be replacing the sony with a denon avr-2313 receiver

hope someone has some experience or reasoned opinion to help me on this! biggrin.gif

thanks in advance...Charlie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazza55 View Post

I have done my research and had settled on the Def Tech procinema 1000

what so special on this system, that you have choosen it?

Are you certain about the receiver? Especially the budget region of receivers I hardly recommend ot test and compare yourself the receivers, because the differences in sound can be pretty huge. I personally dont like the Denon, it sounds a bit "lifeless", I preferr for example the Yamaha receivers or Onkyo.
Best thing would be, to listen to the receiver together with the new speakers.

You ask about the size of the speaker. How loud you want to hear the music?

greetz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Hello all, I'm a newbie to the forums here and would greatly appreciate your advice:
I am just about to move house and am going to upgrade my home theatre kit.
I have done my research and had settled on the Def Tech procinema 1000 (but substituting the procenter 1000 for the 2000)..............that was until i saw a review of the new studiomonitor 55 setup (see link)
http://www.hometheater.com/content/definitive-technology-studiomonitor-55-speaker-system
The room i will be using is 5.2m x 3.6m and i will be using the room lengthways (ie. fronts and rears on the short sides).
Can anyone tell me how these systems compare? I can find very little about the studiomonitors but everything i can find is all praise. Is it suitable for hometheatre and music and would i do well to spend a little extra on the studio monitors. I prefer the look of the procinema, but at the end of the day it has got to be the sound that prevails.............would there be much of a difference?
would the 55's be ok of that size room or do i need to be looking at the 65's?
My current setup is a pair of wharfedale mfm-7 floorstanding speakers with wharfedale surrounds driven by a sony receiver. I will be replacing the sony with a denon avr-2313 receiver
hope someone has some experience or reasoned opinion to help me on this! biggrin.gif
thanks in advance...Charlie.

Hey Chazza55, I was in the same exact situation as you. I was set to buy the pm1000's and learned of the sm55's. I went and listened to both side by side and like the sound of the pm1000's over the sm55. To me the sm55's sounded a bit muffled in the mid range and the pm1000's sounded brighter and cleaner. I too ordered the procenter 2000. I am still waiting on delivery to set up with my Yamaha rx-a820. I highly recommend going to best buy if you can and listen for yourself as you may have a different opinion. Hope this helps and good luck..
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

I must be honest, the thing that has driven me toward the def techs are a combination of size, looks and reviews of the sound. Everywhere i look people are recommending these as bookshelf speakers and any "competitors" are over my budget. I have approx £2000 to spend on the 5.1 speakers. The def tech pro cinema 1000 and procenter 2000 come just inside that budget (unfortunately when importing from US to UK, they usually just swap the $ for a £ sign and then bump the price up......they dont believe in exchange rates)

I am in the unfortunate position of being in the UK......so it is very difficult to audition speakers and amps around here and certainly not def techs. They are not common in the uk. (i can get hold of them from a couple of distributors but not for audition).

I am keen to keep the speakers reasonable small and definitely want to move away from floorstanders. I think the bookshelf size is a good compromise. I personally like to listen to music quite loud but the other half doesnt always allow!....but it will be a detached house i am moving to so will have a bit more freedom to turn it up. I think there will probably be a 65% / 35% split in favour of movie watching over music listening.

I am interested in the comments regarding the denon amp. I have heard a couple of denons (cant remember which) but didnt notice it sounding lifeless. And everywhere i am reading these days i am not seeing rave reviews on onkyos....in fact i have heard some quite nasty comments about them......i guess there are good and bad reviews for every product.

I think i will probably stick with the def tech procinema 1000 then unless anyone has another viable suggestion to look at for me? But may see if i can audition a yamaha and a denon reciever side by side.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 02:41 PM

I wish I could be able to advise you on how the two compare. I can vouch for a Procimena 1000 kit with Onkyo 609 setup.

Even with only a ProCenter 1000. It sounds great.

One thing to note is that receivers have the capabilties of accounting for different audio settings. i.e. All stereo, 3 channel, THX, High etc. You can also adjust the volumes on specific channels after your speakers break in, meaning yes the calibration at the start can be different tomorrow.

Then there are diagnostics like Auddessey that can optimize performance based on your specific room by accounting for distances you sit away from the speakers, speaker height, how wide apart or narrow your home theatre is.

If it's all about sound, I'd also note that most music is heard coming from the front, like going to a concert. Home theatre is an emersion of sound. So you shouldn't know specifically where the source is.

These are two different forms of listenting that I feel the DefTech procinema series are flexible enough to work around.

I bought the Procinema because of budget, asthetics (studio monitors look boxey) and performance.

Today, I just like the way the PM1000's look. The sound performance is treated as a given.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I am in the unfortunate position of being in the UK......

but you have a couple of other options here in Europe and even in the UK. There are some state of the art producers located in the UK, like ATC, Harbeth or precision devices for example. Especially ATC is worth a look. The SCM7 starts around £300 each, and the quality of the sound reproduction is one of the best on the world in its class. 5 of them together with 2 good subs and your out, and I bet you that system withstand any competition against the deftech.

And if ATC is not your taste, what about importing from Euro-zone? Should be less expensive then importing from the US and there is much nice gear around here too.

greetz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM

i just recently auditioned the procinema 1000s v. the studio monitor 55s. There are both nice, but to me there was no contest - the sm55s provided a much fuller sound in that they were able to reproduce highly usable bass on par with a decent set of floor standing speakers. yes, the sm55s were not as bright as the promonitors, but they did not sound muffled to me. you can use the sm 55s without a subwoofer for music listening, but I wouldn't want to listen to the promonitors without a sub. hope that helps.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page