Brand new Focal 705Vs or used Audiogon speakers for $1500 or so? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I listened to the Focals at a local store and loved the sound, though I have to get the good speaker wire in order to have it playing nicely.

I have seen some nice bookshelf/monitors on Audiogon today, and I'm tempted to buy a pair to use solely for listening to music CDs and lossless files.

The great thing is some of these retailed for twice as much or close to it.

The Focals are demos in the store, but are $599 with no cosmetic or internal damage. Goal is to make listening to music with female vocals, like Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, The Sundays, Lacuna Coil, etc sound even more sensual and thrilling.

Focals were darned great, but I think I can find an even better pair on Audiogon.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I though I have to get the good speaker wire in order to have it playing nicely.

Just basic 12-14ga speaker wire works just fine. Don't believe the hype, that you need fancy expensive speaker wire to have a speaker sound its best.


http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2747&seq=1&format=2 Works just as good as the Monster, Audioquest and all the other crazy expensive brands.

I have Monster THX 1000 Ultra speaker wire (didn't buy was given to me) and it doesn't sound any different compared to the bulk wire you can get a Home Depot.
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have heard from someone at work who owns $7000 worth of HT speakers (Paradigms) and he says speaker wire does make a difference and that the internal materials, how they are wrapped, the outer part, etc all affect distribution of electricity and thus affects sound.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I have heard from someone at work who owns $7000 worth of HT speakers (Paradigms) and he says speaker wire does make a difference to him and that the internal materials, how they are wrapped, the outer part, etc all affect what the wire looks like and thus affects sound to people who don't know better..

Fixed that post for you! wink.gif

Semi-retired Technology Insider.
Insist on Quality Posting.
beaveav is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I listened to the Focals at a local store and loved the sound, though I have to get the good speaker wire in order to have it playing nicely.
I have seen some nice bookshelf/monitors on Audiogon today, and I'm tempted to buy a pair to use solely for listening to music CDs and lossless files.
The great thing is some of these retailed for twice as much or close to it.
The Focals are demos in the store, but are $599 with no cosmetic or internal damage. Goal is to make listening to music with female vocals, like Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega, The Sundays, Lacuna Coil, etc sound even more sensual and thrilling.
Focals were darned great, but I think I can find an even better pair on Audiogon.

Too bad you made the speaker wire comment. I would have wagered $1000 that the first post to your question would mention Monoprice! Your chances of getting responses related to your main question are about 1 in 100 and here is the one.

First, the price for 705V is high at $599. A local dealer here sells these for $499 new. On the used market, 705V sell for $200-$250 pair. So comparing the 705V to $1500 used speakers is really not a comparison.

The $1500 price point for used bookshelf speakers on AG or elsewhere really opens up some very good choices. For example, Dynaudio Focus 140 are around $1000 used. If you like Focals, you can move way up the chain to the Electra. The Electra 1007s sells new for $2000.

Look at used for speaker cables also, a 3m, terminated pair of Audioquest Type 6 should be about $100.
stevensctt is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Damn, I meant 706V. The 705V is the smaller one, and just got mixed up with the model numbers. 806 and 807 were also of interest but they are $1100 here in Canada, possibly $100-$200 more depending on the finish.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,166
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I listened to the Focals at a local store and loved the sound, though I have to get the good speaker wire in order to have it playing nicely.

I have heard from someone at work who owns $7000 worth of HT speakers (Paradigms) and he says speaker wire does make a difference and that the internal materials, how they are wrapped, the outer part, etc all affect distribution of electricity and thus affects sound

The crossover network and voice coils are inside the box and speaker drivers - I have yet to find
speaker wire that transforms the network, or changes the voice coil of the speakers. However >>
getting the proper wire guage is important. A good speaker is a good speaker.

__________________________________________
Who AM I

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7, EOS 150SP
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Not picking on the OP, sorry in advance not aimed at you. You see some users who invest a lot of money into fancy speaker wires and then not pay any attention to proper setup, seating position, room acoustics, source material (ie low bit rate MP3). But they some how think the speaker wire improved the sound confused.gif

Good rule is to use what you would have spent on wire and use it toward bass traps or acoustic panels for reflections.
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Damn, I meant 706V. The 705V is the smaller one, and just got mixed up with the model numbers. 806 and 807 were also of interest but they are $1100 here in Canada, possibly $100-$200 more depending on the finish.


Thought that may have been the case. So is your budget $600 for new and $1500 or so used? Doesn't make sense. Have you browsed Canuck Audio Mart?
stevensctt is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Thought that may have been the case. So is your budget $600 for new and $1500 or so used? Doesn't make sense. Have you browsed Canuck Audio Mart?

No, if I have buyer's remorse at this store I cant refund--only store credit with a 15% restocking fee. The more expensive, the higher the restock fee. True, I can't return stuff if buying from private sellers, but it will be something I am 100% certain I will like, whilst taking the seller's word for the quality and condition of the speakers.

Guy at store said he sold his friend $9000 worth of speaker wire, and he's been in the music/speaker/audio field for over 30 years.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 659
With friends like that, who needs enemies??!! eek.gif

Semi-retired Technology Insider.
Insist on Quality Posting.
beaveav is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-08-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Not picking on the OP, sorry in advance not aimed at you. You see some users who invest a lot of money into fancy speaker wires and then not pay any attention to proper setup, seating position, room acoustics, source material (ie low bit rate MP3). But they some how think the speaker wire improved the sound confused.gif
Good rule is to use what you would have spent on wire and use it toward bass traps or acoustic panels for reflections.

I will be using CD and FLAC files and may even skip the iTunes store only because Focals are high resolution speakers and 256 bit AAC may not be high quality enough and the speakers will likely detect the compression.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

taboola here
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off