Def Tech BP7006 and Bp 8 series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in purchasing the BP7006.

I read that the newer 8 series has the following feature:

Rear array firing at 6 dB down for better imaging.

Is this feature also in the older 7006, and if not, will it make dramatic difference in imaging?

I'm on the fence with the 7006 having the built in amps and the imaging change noted above. Concern with the built in amps is if they develop a problem down the road.

Other option I'm looking at is the Def Tech BP8B passive speaker. Although I doubt it will have the sound output of the 7006.

i currently have a prosub 600. So I thought about using it with the BP8B. But really like the idea of the 2 subs in the 7006.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Personally I would rather get the non-powered BP and use separate subs.

If the sub amp breaks on the BP7006, you would have to replace the amp.

And I think the "old" BP speakers sound just fine. Some say the new ones sound better. Some say the old ones sound better.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Personally I would rather get the non-powered BP and use separate subs.
If the sub amp breaks on the BP7006, you would have to replace the amp.
And I think the "old" BP speakers sound just fine. Some say the new ones sound better. Some say the old ones sound better.

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned about having the amps/power supplies all packed into each speaker. I'm kinda new to powered stuff, (kef 104/107 owner). Do the "300 watt" amps consume a ton of electricity? They have more power than my receiver (125 watts)! Just wondering if utility costs could really run up vs. passive speakers.

On a side note, I have a pro cinema setup and really like the speakers. I had a few questions about these and tech support was really outstanding. Not long hold times, and very professional.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc421 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned about having the amps/power supplies all packed into each speaker. I'm kinda new to powered stuff, (kef 104/107 owner). Do the "300 watt" amps consume a ton of electricity? They have more power than my receiver (125 watts)! Just wondering if utility costs could really run up vs. passive speakers.
On a side note, I have a pro cinema setup and really like the speakers. I had a few questions about these and tech support was really outstanding. Not long hold times, and very professional.

The sub amp power rating is not like the regular amp power rating.

"300 watts" may often times be for 4ohms, not 8 ohms. So 8ohms may be 150 watts.

It may also be "peak" or "dynamic" power, not RMS continuous power. So RMS power may be 100 watts.

These amps are usually class D amps, and they don't consume as much energy as the class A/B solid state amps. You will not notice the electric bill increase.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page