So anybody heard what's going on with Elemental Designs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many customers are complaining even at their own forum site. Phone calls not being returned, no email response from them as well. Facebook page has tons of complaints that are being deleted as well.

Does anybody know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I am not exactly sure what is happening there, but I will say this.

I, at the beginning of this week, decided that I would not wait any longer for my setup. I spoke with all three of the guys, who are all gentlemen in my book, and they all agreed that I could be refunded bsed on the delays. I asked for my refund on Tuesday and It is back on my account as of this afternoon. There is something to be said for that.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I phoned them earlier in the week and the mail box was full. Yesterday I tried again and actually got through to the voice mail and left a message. Within an 1hr I had a return call from Alex and he answered my questions regarding some drivers.!!

post #4 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

I am not exactly sure what is happening there, but I will say this.
I, at the beginning of this week, decided that I would not wait any longer for my setup. I spoke with all three of the guys, who are all gentlemen in my book, and they all agreed that I could be refunded bsed on the delays. I asked for my refund on Tuesday and It is back on my account as of this afternoon. There is something to be said for that.

That is good to hear, and clearly you did the smart thing getting your money back. Any idea what speakers you will be purchasing next?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

That is good to hear, and clearly you did the smart thing getting your money back. Any idea what speakers you will be purchasing next?

Looking at lots really...I auditioned Legacy this week and last. I would like to get to hear JTR and/or Seaton. I have to start out on the search again for something that can perform with great finese and the authoritive punc to knock me on my a$$. No easy task I gues.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM

I am in the same boat, Chop. Waited over three months for a seven speaker setup (eD[c]12's up front and the 6's for surrounds, all with upgraded compression drivers) that they said they would have done in five weeks. I had specifically asked if upgrading the compression drivers would delay the order and was told no. I called after five weeks and was told they were waiting on the compression drivers. I got that story same for the last two months and now have not been able to contact anyone there since 7/30/12. Note that not once did they ever email or phone me an update during this entire period. They were friendly when I got them on the phone, but promises become meaningless after a while.

I see you got response via their forum, but yours was a pretty high profile project there. I had never registered on their forum to begin with and they close registrations at some point since then. I can see Alex there has posted a couple times over the last couple days, so he must be around, or at least have access to the net if he is not there. They have not responded to email and the voicemail box there has been full up until the last time I tried calling yesterday morning. So, finally I initiated a dispute with my credit card company yesterday morning.

The sad thing is they have a good product but seem unable to get it out the door for whatever the reason.

That said, I am now also back looking for LCR and surrounds. I suspect I will go with the JTRs; probably the triple 8's but maybe the 12's. I had also ordered a Submersive HP and couldn't be happier with Mark's customer service. I ordered almost everything for my theater over a couple day period and the Submersive was the first item to arrive. I think the JTRs would complement it nicely. The Catalyst 8C's are just beyone what I am willing to pay and I think you get more bang for buck with the tiple 8's compared to the Sparks. The SHO10's may also be a contender. Sounds like they impressively well at last week's blind test. I currently have an old pair of Kipsch Chorus II's and a 5.1 Klipsch Synergy set (similar to the B-20 set, but from 10+ years ago), that I am using in the theater and it sounds better than I would have expected considering the horribly mismatched center. I could try to find another Chorus II to use as the center and ??? for surrounds. Open to suggestions, but don't want to hijack thread either.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with eD.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Looking at lots really...I auditioned Legacy this week and last. I would like to get to hear JTR and/or Seaton. I have to start out on the search again for something that can perform with great finese and the authoritive punc to knock me on my a$$. No easy task I gues.

I have not heard the eD speakers, but I loved the JTR speakers when I heard them. They would be on my shortlist for sure (100% home theater).
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

It seems that it is inevitable that they will be out of business very soon, does that mean there goes your warranty on the products you purchased from ED?
post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelousMarvin View Post

It seems that it is inevitable that they will be out of business very soon, does that mean there goes your warranty on the products you purchased from ED?

If there is no company, I don't see how they would be able to honor the warranty. For what it is worth, it is not like they honor the warranty now. I know when I tried to work with them when I had an issue I got the sense that I was paying for it one way or the other.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Very detailed instructions on how to deal with your issues with Elemental Designs copied from Subwoofer Thread and posted by concerned AVS member Chu Gai.

Contact was made today with an investigator from the Iowa Attorney General's office who handles consumer complaints.

If you have a legitimate issue with ED such as....

•long time unfulfilled warranty issues
•orders that you've paid for but not received in a timely fashion
•orders that you've paid for but only received a partial shipment and you've been waiting and waiting
•refunds that you still have not received
•other reasonable matters, etc.

Please send an email to steve.switzer@iowa.gov and let him know the particulars. That means stuff like what and when you ordered, how much, what you've been told, etc. Keep it factual and leave the emotions out of it.

As it stands right now, ED is a blip on the radar. If only one person complains the usual procedure is for the government to contact ED and ask for a response. This can take time. However, if everyone that is legitimately affected emails him, then quicker and more forceful measures can be undertaken. He (Steve Switzer) has been made aware that ED is delinquent in their business filings with the Iowa Secretary of State. How this impacts matters remains to be seen.

If you also want to summarize your complaint in this thread, while it may be somewhat redundant, it does provide a convenient place. I only ask that just complaints be listed and only once. This will keep it tidy and easy to navigate. If your situation needs to be updated, well that's another story.

Should anyone know other websites where ED has a presence (I doubt they'd let you post this at theirs!), please copy the particulars and make a post there.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page