JBL SYNTHESIS LS Series SPEAKERS YES or NO?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well guys i have and elemental designs eD cinema 12 speaker i bought from them to use a a center channel speaker. i loved them so i orderd the left and right. but never got them yet and we are going on a few months now and doesnt look like im getting them but still crossing my fingers. But anyway i was looking to find something to replace them with... what do u think of the JBL LS and how would they compare to them? or better them? also would klipsch be anygood? thanks for the advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
which syntesis are you looking in detail?
But when you will buy JBL you need to replace the center as well, otherwise it wont fit.

JBL or the ED are not bad, and you didnt make a real mistake with both, but there are many other systems out there too.
What exactly are your needs?
post #3 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 631
As long as you're using 3 of the same brand up front (and not combining your ED centre and JBL left and right) you should be fine. The LS series has excellent dynamics with consistent off-axis response. The specific models I would recommend are the LS Centre and a pair of LS60 towers (same exact number/type of drivers).

Sanjay
post #4 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

sorry guys yes i will be selling the eD speaker and uses all jbl as front sound stage if i dont get my eD speakers.. after hearing dynamics and clarity with the eD thats what i am looking for. i love dynamics!! let me say what i should of mentioned before. my room size is 12x15 7 ft high cielings.. small room ik frown.gif. i do have acoustic panels on the wall but not on the cieling yet. i am go this weekend to listen to the JBL speakers. What other speaker out there that my be in the same range as these that i can look at? thanks
post #5 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075 View Post

my room size is 12x15 7 ft high cielings.. small room ik frown.gif. i do have acoustic panels on the wall but not on the cieling yet. i am go this weekend to listen to the JBL speakers. What other speaker out there that my be in the same range as these that i can look at? thanks

A review with some measurements here
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/surround-sound-speaker-systems/surround-sound-speaker-systems-reviews/jbl-ls-80-speaker-system-for-audiophiles.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:

my room size is 12x15 7 ft high cielings.. small room ik frown.gif. i do have acoustic panels on the wall but not on the cieling yet. i am go this weekend to listen to the JBL speakers. What other speaker out there that my be in the same range as these that i can look at? thanks

What about active monitors? Adam A7X would be really great in that room and would perform excellent with its tweeter, which outstand most other competitors in its class.

If you need really systems with horn, than have a look to Klipsch either, Klipsch RB81 II for example. Or RB82 II if you prefer floorstand.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link
post #8 of 40 Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
In the last shoot out the Chase SHO-10's were hanging right in there with the eD's. Have you thought about them as replacements?

https://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=596&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142&redirected=1&Itemid=142

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #9 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

i seen those before not to crazy about them.. thanks tho.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

hey guys what about these and are they real expensive? Adam audio GTC Series
post #11 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Theyr're very nice but they're awfully expensive. Are you turned off by the looks of the SHO's? Granted they're not the prettiest but what is most important to you? Performance? Looks? Or are both important to you? What you are looking at are really expensive as far as performance per dollars is concerned. Are you running a projector? If you are for the price difference you could get an acoustically transparent screen and hide your front three speakers. That way it wouldn't matter what they look like.

Have you looked at JTR, or Seaton products?

Just throwing out a few other things to consider.

post #12 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Theyr're very nice but they're awfully expensive. Are you turned off by the looks of the SHO's? Granted they're not the prettiest but what is most important to you? Performance? Looks? Or are both important to you? What you are looking at are really expensive as far as performance per dollars is concerned. Are you running a projector? If you are for the price difference you could get an acoustically transparent screen and hide your front three speakers. That way it wouldn't matter what they look like.
Have you looked at JTR, or Seaton products?
Just throwing out a few other things to consider.

I just havent heard that great of stuff about them. There okay i guess but not feeling them. Proformance is the main thing for me dont care about looks really. I dont have a projector yet but going to get one. Seaton products are to expensive and jtr i might be interested in but after this problem with ed kinda turning me away from those types of companys. So you dont think the money i will spend on the jbl or adam is worth it? Sorry if i type somethings wrong on my cell phone at work.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know where you heard bad things about the CHT products. They had some issues way back when but from what I understand all of that has been resolved and they are putting out some fantastic products for the price point. JTR is a totally professional company. It's really unfortunate that eD's poor customer service and ability to deliver is tainting other companies out there. Personally I wouldn't worry about other ID companies. They have already built the product, they aren't waiting to get an order prior to manufacturing the product. Being in NY I would bet anything there is someone near you that has the SHO-10's. The guys here are really cool and I am sure they would be happy to have you over. Go have a listen. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, the JBL's and the Adam Audio are both very nice products. If they are worth the money or not is up to you.

post #14 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:

technically the GTC products are nothing other than the original products of Adam Audio. The only difference is the enclosure, which is ready for inwall-installation.
If no inwall is required, take the Adam S3X-V or -H, which has the same drivers and ampings.

Or any smaller monitor like the recommended A7X.

biggest benefit of the Adam is the superb tweeter, where not many other can compete against.
The con is the low, Adam officially states, that they address the "soft" region, means the bass is not as precise as from other competitors, it is more soft (which is intended by Adam), but doesnt sound bad because of that. Especially with a high x-over.
post #15 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Ribbons are very nice tweeters until you push them. They are not the ideal tweeter for HT. CD's mated to horns do a lot better.

post #16 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

i would like the hear the SHO maybe ill see if i can find someone near me that would let me listen.. then i can see if i really like them. i found the review http://www.hometheater.com/content/adam-audio-gtc77-speaker-system they seem to love them.. and i think they say they pushed them pretty hard if i remember.. but the only way to make up my mind is to give them a real listen only way to tell.. i think CD speakers will have the best dynamics. im not crazy about speakers with built in amps.. i rather use my own amplification.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But the center GTC77’s sonic performance was as free of coloration on voices as I’ve heard from a center-channel speaker. It was devoid of chestiness, heaviness, edge, grain, brightness, and sibilant excess. And it completely avoided the discontinuity some center-channel speakers produce that simultaneously creates an excessively chesty and sibilant quality in dialogue and musical vocals. Some center-channel speakers sound warm but somewhat closed in. Some sound crisp in the best sense of that word (which I don’t like to use), but at the cost of overly prominent sibilants or female voices that often sound shrill. In addition, the GTC77 can whisper or scream and never loses its timbral character or impressive dynamic abilities at both the micro and macro levels. At high SPLs, dynamic compression was never evident
From the home theater review..
post #18 of 40 Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Ribbons are very nice tweeters until you push them. They are not the ideal tweeter for HT. CD's mated to horns do a lot better.

it isnt a simple ribbon. It is a folded ribbon, called "air motion transformer", or in short hand, something like a improved ribbon with the benefits of CD+horn and normal ribbon. The AMT of ADAM outperformans most CD+horn constructions. The bigger ones can reproduce a sound pressure far over 120dB!

it is definitly worth a look, even against some bigger competitors.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Sounds pretty cool.

post #20 of 40 Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

nice!! going today to listen to JBL SYNTHESIS LS.. doubt im going to find ADAM GTC speaker to audition.
post #21 of 40 Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Let us know what you think!

post #22 of 40 Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well just got back from the audition and to my surprise they had the adam gtc there... i listen to the ls40 first and then the ls60 they didnt have the 80s.. the 40s were hooked up to the anthem 300 receiver and just sounded okay nothing great to me at all. was pretty disappointed. then i went up stairs to listen to the LS 60.. but he had the adam classic speakers hooked up which were 5000$ a pair so i listen to those and they were great detailed great bass.. transparent. just awsome. so i said can i hear the JBL LS 60 and he hooked them up and i was just as amazed with them. not expecting that at all! The bass was a lil shy of the classics but everything else was just about on par with the adam classics. he told me he had a pair of open box ls60 and the ls center he can give me for 2000$ i didnt take them but im thinking about it.. and the GTC for the front sound stage was 3300$. to be honest tho i still like my eD cinema 12s frown.gif. what do u think for that price on those? im still hoping for a miracle with eD.
post #23 of 40 Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If you really like the sound of your eD's then I strongly suggest you find a pair of SHO-10's. I'm sorry to keep harping on theses things but from what I can tell they are right down your alley. Read this thread, it may interest you which speakers got the most praise.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422525/speaker-shootout-ed-cinema-12s-jtr-triple-8s-cht-sho-10s-bill-fitzmaurice-dr-250s

post #24 of 40 Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Ok will do thanks
post #25 of 40 Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What did you end up going with?
post #26 of 40 Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
I have a pair of ls80's and ls center on their way. Do you know if your guy has the ls40's available?
post #27 of 40 Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Well just got back from the audition and to my surprise they had the adam gtc there... i listen to the ls40 first and then the ls60 they didnt have the 80s.. the 40s were hooked up to the anthem 300 receiver and just sounded okay nothing great to me at all. was pretty disappointed. then i went up stairs to listen to the LS 60.. but he had the adam classic speakers hooked up which were 5000$ a pair so i listen to those and they were great detailed great bass.. transparent. just awsome. so i said can i hear the JBL LS 60 and he hooked them up and i was just as amazed with them. not expecting that at all! The bass was a lil shy of the classics but everything else was just about on par with the adam classics. he told me he had a pair of open box ls60 and the ls center he can give me for 2000$ i didnt take them but im thinking about it.. and the GTC for the front sound stage was 3300$. to be honest tho i still like my eD cinema 12s frown.gif. what do u think for that price on those? im still hoping for a miracle with eD.

I have a pair of ls80's and ls center on their way. Do you know if your guy has the ls40's available?
post #28 of 40 Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 AM

I have my ls-80's and ls center and I am very pleased. Excellent sound stage and detail. Listened for hours with no fatigue. I had a triple feature on Saturday, and double features Fri. and Sun. The sound is sweet despite the high frequency presence. I have often avoided metal hf drivers because they often sound slightly harsh to me, but not so with these. these are replacing jbl hls 80 LCR.
post #29 of 40 Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Congrats! That's got to be a big improvement.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #30 of 40 Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice speakers. They'll give you many years of enjoyment.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rb 81 Bookshelf Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Speaker Systems , Jbl , Center Channel Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page