Snell Type B - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Snell Type B's and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've owned them for abut 2 years and never pushed them even close to potential. I'm pretty embarrassed to say I've been running them of a Pioneer Elite Amp:eek: ! I know I should be using a McIntosh or maybe even Marrantz but my financial situation hasn't been the best since I got out the military so I'm working with what I have. I've put consideration into selling them but I don't feel as though I'm being offered what they're worth ($150-$300 offers). At that rate I'd rather just keep them myself. I could probably get more on eBay but then I'd have to deal with a shipping nightmare with these massive beasts! I want someone to get proper enjoyment out of these but it just doesn't seem as though that's going to happen unless I get the right amp, or some local audiophile offers what I consider a decent amount. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do to sell them i.e. what's a reasonable price (maybe my expectations are to high) or maybe what I can do with them on the Pioneer Elite to get a better sound out of them. Or just any suggestions in general. Maybe someone on here has owned a pair and can help me out in that avenue. I also have a Yamaha M-4 that I've considered using them with but I wouldn't even know how to begin taking that route. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Reid View Post

I have a pair of Snell Type B's and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've owned them for abut 2 years and never pushed them even close to potential. I'm pretty embarrassed to say I've been running them of a Pioneer Elite Amp:eek: ! I know I should be using a McIntosh or maybe even Marrantz but my financial situation hasn't been the best since I got out the military so I'm working with what I have. I've put consideration into selling them but I don't feel as though I'm being offered what they're worth ($150-$300 offers). At that rate I'd rather just keep them myself. I could probably get more on eBay but then I'd have to deal with a shipping nightmare with these massive beasts! I want someone to get proper enjoyment out of these but it just doesn't seem as though that's going to happen unless I get the right amp, or some local audiophile offers what I consider a decent amount. I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do to sell them i.e. what's a reasonable price (maybe my expectations are to high) or maybe what I can do with them on the Pioneer Elite to get a better sound out of them. Or just any suggestions in general. Maybe someone on here has owned a pair and can help me out in that avenue. I also have a Yamaha M-4 that I've considered using them with but I wouldn't even know how to begin taking that route. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't know much about Snells let alone why your Elite couldn't give you good results so I went looking for some info on your speakers. Do you have the regular Snell B's or the B Minors? The Bs aren't quite as efficient as the B Minors, but still reasonable (assuming somewhat as there was not the spec as to how determined, just mentioned 86db and 90db. They're 8 ohm so shouldn't be particularly hard for an amp, but an average ohm rating only means so much, too. You just want to put some serious watts to 'em for dynamics or pure SPL? Why do you think McIntosh or Marantz will give you special results, though? I would think they should be worth more than $300 from what I saw with a list of $4500/3700 (Bs to B Minors) a pair. Are they in good condition, surrounds and cones all good? I'd keep 'em as long as they're working well myself. http://www.snell.no/the_archives.htm

post #3 of 13 Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Is this is older Type B or the newer model with the side firing woofer? What Pioneer Elite amp/receiver are you using? If it has pre-outs, have you considered using it as a pre-amp fed into the Yamaha M-4 amp? The M-4 might be a better match with the Snells. I've only heard the first generation Type B and it was pretty much a true full-range speaker that I thought offered a good sonic balance. Unless they aren't working properly, I would hang onto them and try to get the most out of them with what you've got. If you sold them, I don't think that you are going to find their equal in the bargain basement range. IMHO, in good shape, the first series are worth much more than that $150-300 you are being offered.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't know much about Snells let alone why your Elite couldn't give you good results so I went looking for some info on your speakers. Do you have the regular Snell B's or the B Minors? The Bs aren't quite as efficient as the B Minors, but still reasonable (assuming somewhat as there was not the spec as to how determined, just mentioned 86db and 90db. They're 8 ohm so shouldn't be particularly hard for an amp, but an average ohm rating only means so much, too. You just want to put some serious watts to 'em for dynamics or pure SPL? Why do you think McIntosh or Marantz will give you special results, though? I would think they should be worth more than $300 from what I saw with a list of $4500/3700 (Bs to B Minors) a pair. Are they in good condition, surrounds and cones all good? I'd keep 'em as long as they're working well myself. http://www.snell.no/the_archives.htm

I have the regular Snell B's. I want to try to get a more dynamic level to them and it could be a lack of me knowing how to properly connect them to the elite. There's a high and low input on the speakers but on the elite, the only outputs available are A&B fronts (R&L), Center, and surround (R&L). As far as the McIntosh and Marrantz, I've heard that they push a better dynamic range typically on vintage speakers. I guess I'm relying on hearsay too much. They are in great condition! Most of the drivers were replaced recently along with the 2 front tweeters by original OEM Snell drivers and tweets with the same specs. The surrounds are great as well as the cones. The only negative is that the rear woofer on the left tower was replaced with a KLH woofer....Why....I don't know.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

Is this is older Type B or the newer model with the side firing woofer? What Pioneer Elite amp/receiver are you using? If it has pre-outs, have you considered using it as a pre-amp fed into the Yamaha M-4 amp? The M-4 might be a better match with the Snells. I've only heard the first generation Type B and it was pretty much a true full-range speaker that I thought offered a good sonic balance. Unless they aren't working properly, I would hang onto them and try to get the most out of them with what you've got. If you sold them, I don't think that you are going to find their equal in the bargain basement range. IMHO, in good shape, the first series are worth much more than that $150-300 you are being offered.

These are the older model Type B's. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-21. I've thought about using the pre-outs but I was hung up on the high and low inputs of the Snell's with only 2-1 channel inputs on the M-4. Basically the general Hook-up configuration.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

These are the older model Type B's. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-21. I've thought about using the pre-outs but I was hung up on the high and low inputs of the Snell's with only 2-1 channel inputs on the M-4. Basically the general Hook-up configuration.

The Snells have bi-wiring terminals?

Or do you need help with the basic connections of your avr/preamp-amp-speakers?

post #7 of 13 Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Yeah, those are bi-wire terminals. The Type B wasn't designed for active bi-amping, so all you need to do is run a single length of speaker cable to the low terminals, then bridge those to the high terminals with a very short piece of cable (like THIS, but you can just make your own for next to nothing if you are so inclined). Then you are all set.

If you can find the correct replacement for that KLH woofer, then all the better. However, it is possible, I suppose, that someone actually did some research and found that it was a close match. Hard to say.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Yes they have bi-wiring terminals. I believe vraxoin has given me the info I need for the basic connections. Thanks for your input!
post #9 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, those are bi-wire terminals. The Type B wasn't designed for active bi-amping, so all you need to do is run a single length of speaker cable to the low terminals, then bridge those to the high terminals with a very short piece of cable (like THIS, but you can just make your own for next to nothing if you are so inclined). Then you are all set.
If you can find the correct replacement for that KLH woofer, then all the better. However, it is possible, I suppose, that someone actually did some research and found that it was a close match. Hard to say.

I believe I am inclined to do this. I am a very avid "listener" to audio but as far as the "correct" setup, I would rank myself in the novice range and figured there was a reason for separate high and low audio terminals...maybe there is and I'm just confused....There's still alot of gray areas in audio setup for me. Quite a bit to learn. One thing I do consider myself a "pro" at is splicing and re-wiring so I think I'll be able to handle the bridge aspect. As far as the KLH, I was told that a Dayton woofer would have been a better replacement so I guess I'll be on the lookout for that. Thanks for your input.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they have bi-wiring terminals. I believe vraxoin has given me the info I need for the basic connections. Thanks for your input!

Just don't spend $40 on two pieces of wire, that's just nuts. Do you still have the original jumper straps the speakers should have come with?

post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just don't spend $40 on two pieces of wire, that's just nuts. Do you still have the original jumper straps the speakers should have come with?

No, I purchased these approx. 2 years ago as they were (great condition to my surprise) for $25 from a friend. I didn't even know they came with these.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

No, I purchased these approx. 2 years ago as they were (great condition to my surprise) for $25 from a friend. I didn't even know they came with these.

So the reconditioning was on your side or your friend took care of? Have you listened to them since that work was done? When you say the tweeters have the same spec, does that mean they're like the woofer not original spec?

post #13 of 13 Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So the reconditioning was on your side or your friend took care of? Have you listened to them since that work was done? When you say the tweeters have the same spec, does that mean they're like the woofer not original spec?

My friends uncle replaced some of the drivers and the crossover caps. I'm not sure who put the KLH Woofer in nor the tweeters. I haven't done anything to these since I've owned them but I did hear them prior to the replaced drivers and caps. The increased clarity is leaps better. Prior to the replacements the lows were over powering and the overall sound was extremely muddy. As far as the tweeters, I've got to get a more clear understanding from my buddy who came to check them out for me. From what I understand, the 2 front firing tweets were replaced with those from another Snell set with the same spec, but I am not 100% on that.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page