Dorm setup - looking for best speakers to fit what we've picked out so far. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

As a few have suggested.... how about a 2.1 set up??

Well that's is exactly what he will have. A sub, and 2 bookshelves. Sorry if I implied anything other than that; we are only looking for the 2 speakers, and then that's it...everything else is ordered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Yeah, I highly suggest a 2 or 3.1 setup. Less tangle of wires to deal with also. Less speaker wire to buy, and get 12ga wire.

butter and jelly please.
post #33 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you are looking for something a little more compact:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059

Or these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325053

Both are smaller but have good sound for music and movies.
post #34 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I understand your above and based on the post I responded to, I made a recommendation. There was no mention of a sub having been purchased at the time of my response.
"Ummm...so your recommendation for speakers is...?"
"My opinion, the point, a dorm is not a place where one expects to have quality sound at a socially acceptable level. If one wants quality sound at a socially acceptable level, then one needs to consider headphones."
At this price point, my opinion, people's expectations are too high. A college dorm is not synonymous with quality sound and despite the purchase of a sub, if one is expecting quality sound, then my recommendation is still a decent pair of Sennheiser cordless headphones. If one must have speakers, my recommendation, due to the size of a standard or larger dorm room, would be to go with bookshelf speakers which would be complimented by the sub which has already been purchased.
Based on reading your sub thread comments, with all due respect, as a father, my recommendation would be to let your son figure it all out as it's his money and they're going be his speakers. The frustration of choosing speakers is obviously money. And yes, lack of money limits choice in quality. My apologies that I'm not able to do better than to suggest or recommend away from what you're wanting to do.
This is my poor yet humble effort at making a quality recommendation close to your stated price point. At $300.00 plus shipping, these speakers are more than your stated budget of $200.00 but you asked for quality recommendations and I have full faith in Hsu's ability regarding speaker design.
And as a further suggestion, there's no reason a pair of surrounds, coupled with your existing subwoofer can't be used as mains.
-

Actually I did mention the sub at that time. I had not purchased it, but I did say that I had decided on one. My expectations are certainly not "too high". This is why my son wants ME to choose this stuff...he has absolutely no experience with any equipment, other than what we have at home. I am certainly not looking for the best sound - I don't know why you would make such assumptions. I AM looking for the best sound for the money. Bookshelf speakers are exactly what I am looking for. Surely you did not think I was looking for floor speakers! tongue.gif He does have a decent set of headphones by the way, but these are college students, and they will be shaking the walls when they can. As a mother that is pretty respected for my "techie-ness", I completely understand my son wanting me to assist him in choosing his system. Next time out, he'll be on his own. wink.gif
post #35 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thanks for the reply back Chessie as that simplifys its quite a bit. Well given the fact you posted that I will give you the "real" world situation, as I know it anyhow. Given its a dorm room, unless its some executive room to where its fairly large, most are as I know it a bit larger than a jail cell room... been there done that wink.gif. Even a computer 2.1 set up would work out fine! I would suggest a down fire & ported sub just in case a thong its into the port. LOL Ok just kiddding smile.gif! I would just look within his budget & size and go with that.
post #36 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

post #37 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

One more smaller speaker that has good sound and is in your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero-2-0-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B0049FA1TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344828828&sr=8-1&keywords=nht

Oooh...I like these.
post #38 of 58 Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie View Post

Oooh...I like these.

You really cannot go wrong with these speakers In a dorm with the sub you purchased. NHT is a great company with a heritage of making good speakers at affordable prices.

The nice thing is that once you son moves out of the dorm and wants something more expensive and dynamic, these would be nice surrounds.
post #39 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm..found these today, and the price makes them very tempting. Reviews seem to be better than decent. Bigger than I would like...but for the money...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

Thoughts?

I am sending links for both of these (the Pioneer and the NHT) to my son and I'll let him make the decision. His money, so up to him if it's worth the $100 or so. He still has to buy books, so he might rather keep the hundred in his pocket!

Personally I would go with the Super Zeros - they look really nice!
post #40 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 152
A 4" woofer and you will likely miss (have a drop off) from where the sub quits and the speaker starts, in terms freq. However, I have heard those Pioneers are very good entry level speakers!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #41 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

Thanks for the reply back Chessie as that simplifys its quite a bit. Well given the fact you posted that I will give you the "real" world situation, as I know it anyhow. Given its a dorm room, unless its some executive room to where its fairly large, most are as I know it a bit larger than a jail cell room... been there done that wink.gif. Even a computer 2.1 set up would work out fine! I would suggest a down fire & ported sub just in case a thong its into the port. LOL Ok just kiddding smile.gif! I would just look within his budget & size and go with that.

LOL at the thong, Skally. tongue.gif I wouldn't put anything past them. They got lucky and got upgraded to a much larger dorm this year. So they'll have some room to breathe, and jam, and.....well I don't even wanna think about anything else. rolleyes.gif
post #42 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

A 4" woofer and you will likely miss (have a drop off) from where the sub quits and the speaker starts, in terms freq. However, I have heard those Pioneers are very good entry level speakers!

Oh good - thanks, that helps to know that. I actually found them locally (hard to beleive - we never have anything in stock around here!) so I am going to tell my son to check them out when he gets back in town.
post #43 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:

The Energy sub plays up to -3db at 111 hz

The Pioneer plays below 100 hz

The Super Zero is -3db at 110 hz

The Cambridge S30 plays strong down to 60hz

I also have owned other 4" woofer speakers, that play below 90 hz

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #44 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim Z knows way more than I do and actually took the time to look up the stats...so if he says the Pioneer will work with that sub, then it likely will. I just know that my SLS Q line speakers, with dual 4 inch wooofers, have a slight gap in the freq response when working with my sub in the midbass area!

post #45 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so if he says the Pioneer will work with that sub, then it likely will. I just know that my SLS Q line speakers, with dual 4 inch wooofers, have a slight gap in the freq response when working with my sub in the midbass area!

The new Pioneer speakers are on sale at Best Buy - if buying Pioneer, I would look at
the new ones - newly designed drivers and a new tweeter waveguide > I am thinking
about buying a pair and giving them a shake down.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-BS22-LR

Some info
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57490890-47/mission-impossible-design-great-sounding-affordable-speakers/

post #46 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just know that my SLS Q line speakers, with dual 4 inch wooofers, have a slight gap in the freq response when working with my sub in the midbass area!

The bass drops off fast on your speakers
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/sls-audio-q-line-silver-surround-sound-system?page=0,2

ThIs is the Cambridge S30
http://cdn.avsforum.com/1/1c/1ceb88f9_525x525px-LL-9de8411c_vbattach248087.jpeg

post #47 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea, I have read that. I am not too concern about it, as I haven't used those speakers as mains in either of my set ups for a couple years. Man, the ribbon tweeter in those little speakers is outstanding, however! They are surround speakers in both of my 5.1...

post #48 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yea, I have read that. I am not too concern about it, as I haven't used those speakers as mains in either of my set ups for a couple years. Man, the ribbon tweeter in those little speakers is outstanding, however! They are surround speakers in both of my 5.1...

I have listened to them before - they make decent surrounds.

post #49 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The new Pioneer speakers are on sale at Best Buy - if buying Pioneer, I would look at
the new ones - newly designed drivers and a new tweeter waveguide > I am thinking
about buying a pair and giving them a shake down.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/5086955.p?id=1218610014045&skuId=5086955
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-BS22-LR
Some info
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57490890-47/mission-impossible-design-great-sounding-affordable-speakers/

Oh awesome! My son and I went back and forth, texting...about these speakers today. He was on the fence, and then he said basically that money was critical so he wanted to go with the Pioneers. I sure would like to see him get the newer ones - as luck would have it, both are in the Best Buy here...I think I might have to go give a listen. If they sound worth the diff, I might just chip in for the extra $$. smile.gif Thank you so much for this information - I really appreciate it.
post #50 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
If you are going to BestBuy, also give the Polk TSi series a listen. The TSi series is only a very minor upgrade by Polk over the Polk Monitors that Newegg carries. So you'd have that option, too.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #51 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Oh awesome! My son and I went back and forth, texting...about these speakers today. He was on the fence, and then he said basically that money was critical so he wanted to go with the Pioneers. I sure would like to see him get the newer ones - as luck would have it, both are in the Best Buy here...I think I might have to go give a listen. If they sound worth the diff, I might just chip in for the extra $$. smile.gif Thank you so much for this information - I really appreciate it.

You are welcome.

I bought the new bookshelves today, I am giving them a shake down - they are nice. Best Buy is not the
best place to demo - however, there is a difference. Once I got them home, they really stood out. There
is a nice balanced sound with no sizzle or boom - and the midrange has improved. That little woofer is a
nice one.

post #52 of 58 Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you are going to BestBuy, also give the Polk TSi series a listen. The TSi series is only a very minor upgrade by Polk over the Polk Monitors that Newegg carries. So you'd have that option, too.

I didn't see this before I went...I only checked out the Pioneers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You are welcome.
I bought the new bookshelves today, I am giving them a shake down - they are nice. Best Buy is not the
best place to demo - however, there is a difference. Once I got them home, they really stood out. There
is a nice balanced sound with no sizzle or boom - and the midrange has improved. That little woofer is a
nice one.

My son got home late tonight, but I went to Best Buy after work and listened to both of the Pioneers...and I was impressed with the difference. The 22's were much improved, and the 21's were no slackers either. And once I realized that the 22's were on sale for LESS THAN the originals...well, I called my son, and he was "get them!". I mean, $89 for the PAIR? Wow. What a great deal. I swear I am tempted to buy a pair for my BF just so he can have better speakers for his TV. tongue.gif

The sub and receiver are due from NewEgg in a few days. Son thinks the speakers look nice, at least, and he can't wait to try them out when the other stuff gets here. (Yes we could unhook my Paradigms and hook these up, but I'd rather he hear them on his own new system). Thanks everyone. I SO appreciate all the advice - my son is pretty happy with the choices.
post #53 of 58 Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got the Polk M40s and those SLS speakers are w/o question, better. The Polks get lower, but have a distinct problem in the midrange area...would that likely be the crossover issue? or a driver issue?
Chessie, I think your son will be pleased. Must be nice to have a cool mom! What, your BF is using TV speakers and you are still going out with him!? smile.gif

post #54 of 58 Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I've got the Polk M40s and those SLS speakers are w/o question, better. The Polks get lower, but have a distinct problem in the midrange area...would that likely be the crossover issue? or a driver issue?
Chessie, I think your son will be pleased. Must be nice to have a cool mom! What, your BF is using TV speakers and you are still going out with him!? smile.gif

LOL. The Energy sub came today. He just called me while ago and told me he already unplugged my old Rava and hooked up his in its place. tongue.gif He said, literally: "Oh it sounds great mom...really really great. And it is LOUD." He sounds like he's grinning ear to ear. The receiver comes tomorrow...so I guess the neighbors might be getting a little free music sampling tomorrow when he gets home from work. rolleyes.gif

Trust me, my BF has many qualites that make him worth tolerating his lack of techie-know-how. wink.gif
post #55 of 58 Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

LOL. The Energy sub came today. He just called me while ago and told me he already unplugged my old Rava and hooked up his in its place. tongue.gif He said, literally: "Oh it sounds great mom...really really great. And it is LOUD." He sounds like he's grinning ear to ear.

Good to hear - the system will be fun.

post #56 of 58 Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Awesome! Sounds like your son's going to be very happy once he gets them all setup together smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #57 of 58 Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You did great. Those Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers for $89 a pair are a steal. Your son has a cool mom smile.gif
post #58 of 58 Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You did great. Those Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers for $89 a pair are a steal. Your son has a cool mom smile.gif

Thanks, but you guys provided the information I needed. wink.gif I'm very pleased with what he ended up with; I think his $500 (which he already paid me back for smile.gif ) was very well spent.

He is home right now getting ready to open the Onkyo receiver. Not sure I have any extra speaker wire, but hopefully he can find enough extra cables (I have a "cable drawer" in the living room...I think the cables must breed in there!) to hook everything up for now. I'll order him some speaker wire for the dorm, from Monoprice, later tonight.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page