New home theater speaker search...again - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Yeah, and when you get them home they sound different and then you think you made a mistake. The search is never ending BUT you need to have fun while searching. I have been thru so many setups but I have always had a working theater in the process. I am going to audition another set soon even though I love my current system. So you want a laid back dynamic speaker capable of reference levels? The problem with most laid back or even audiophile type speakers are their lack of spl capabilities. This is where type of room and distance to the speakers matter so much and can the speaker even take the power needed to get loud. I know the Maggies I had could take lots of power but they would just compress and not get any louder. They sound loud and clear but not dynamic once compressing. At low levels they were dynamic

So true...

I may have to correct my phrasing on preference too. I thought that I wanted a "warmer" sounding speaker at first, but my search has proved that maybe I don't. The PSB synchs had nothing for me, the more I listened to them..kind of closed off and didn't get me excited. The B&W 802D(just listen to compare) sound nice, but was kind of just there, it didn't make me feel its presence. I described it to the shop owner this way: The 802D allowed me to listen and the Focus SE Legacy speakers MADE me listen to them, but they made me listen without a rdiculously sharp top end that would fatigue me.
ChopShop1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If I were you, I'd go straight for the Legacy Focus, along with their Marquis center speaker, which is a beast of a center channel. It's hard to beat that setup for all around performance. They will do great for home theater, but also will not disappoint if you throw on some large scale classical music, hard rock, jazz, whatever.

Also, if you find that the tweeters end up being too high for you, you can angle them downward a bit using the leveling spikes.

mtrot is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

So true...
I may have to correct my phrasing on preference too. I thought that I wanted a "warmer" sounding speaker at first, but my search has proved that maybe I don't. The PSB synchs had nothing for me, the more I listened to them..kind of closed off and didn't get me excited. The B&W 802D(just listen to compare) sound nice, but was kind of just there, it didn't make me feel its presence. I described it to the shop owner this way: The 802D allowed me to listen and the Focus SE Legacy speakers MADE me listen to them, but they made me listen without a rdiculously sharp top end that would fatigue me.

I know many don't like to hear this but taking measurements of the response can pinpoint you to what you like. When I have a slight bump(3 dBs or so) within the 80-300hz area I tend to think the speaker has more punch and makes things sound big and powerful. Besides the response I really believe the sensitivity at various frequencies matter because even though you can have a flat response the speakers will sound different. For example, if one speaker is very sensitive within the vocal range compared to the rest of its bandwidth it might sound too forward or bright. Many people think the highs cause this brightness but all my speakers have flat response at the LP with about the same high frequency extension and some are bright, forward, whatever and others are not. My JBL's had two very sensitive and very powerful 15's and even though they had a flat response they had stronger midbass on the same material as other speakers. I played them all at the same level without compression. I am going to try out some ribbons in my DR's and see if I can get the best of both worlds. I am also going to try some QSC K12's which I think you should hear. They have a smooth laid back sound(especially for a horn) that can play 131 dBs!
MKtheater is online now  
post #34 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I just checked out the Legacy speakers, some of those seem to bridge the gap between HT and music. Do they sound that good? How much are they? Their little bookshelf with a ribbon can play 116 dBs! Still not enough for my room but they would work as surrounds. Of course my DIY speakers are monsters for only $500 each. Even if I add ribbons the cost would be $1100 each. That is JTR 888 pricing with a speaker that could play 139 dBs, 110 dB sensitive, dual horn loaded 10's, and 6 line array fountek ribbons! I think I just sold myself!
MKtheater is online now  
post #35 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I just checked out the Legacy speakers, some of those seem to bridge the gap between HT and music. Do they sound that good? How much are they? Their little bookshelf with a ribbon can play 116 dBs! Still not enough for my room but they would work as surrounds. Of course my DIY speakers are monsters for only $500 each. Even if I add ribbons the cost would be $1100 each. That is JTR 888 pricing with a speaker that could play 139 dBs, 110 dB sensitive, dual horn loaded 10's, and 6 line array fountek ribbons! I think I just sold myself!

I really do think the Legacy speakers sound that good. They aren't cheap is the problem.

MSRP:
Signature se: $6450
Mrquis center $3750
Deco surrounds: $2000/pr

Street price will vary, but I have seen as much as 20%.

The focus are even more at $8700pr.
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Have you looked at Selah audio or something like the line arrays? High spl speakers with ribbons seem the right way to go. I also like ribbons. They play so clear without getting harsh. Is this because they don't go that loud? Maybe brightness is just how loud one's ears can take? Can't be, I have heard loud and not harsh. Maybe Salk can customize something for that kind of money. Like I said, I can build my DR's with ribbons for much less but the result is a ?
MKtheater is online now  
post #37 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Hookedonc4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Those James in-walls certainly look interesting. Out of curiousity, what have you had prior to this for equip??

Definitive Pro Cinema 600. These are nice also. Might be moving to sitting area or caft room.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Hookedonc4 is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Have you looked at Selah audio or something like the line arrays? High spl speakers with ribbons seem the right way to go. I also like ribbons. They play so clear without getting harsh. Is this because they don't go that loud? Maybe brightness is just how loud one's ears can take? Can't be, I have heard loud and not harsh. Maybe Salk can customize something for that kind of money. Like I said, I can build my DR's with ribbons for much less but the result is a ?

The brightness, for me, isn't about volume...it happens at all volumes, just like an annoying extension of the frequency. In short, I aggre with you. I think it is very difficult to combine the right amount of open extension and controlled smooth top end.

I will have to look more into the arrays, they really don't suit my taste, appearance wise. Selah's floor standers look a lot like the Legacy concepts.

I have looked at the salk soundscapes, the reviews look good for the most part, but some have said they don't live up to all the hype. I would like to try to hear them too.
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Hookedonc4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
James loudspeaker 812BE... Check it out... smile.gif

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
Hookedonc4 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Paradigm

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off