Speaker Layout Help for my new Apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved into a new apartment. Originally I was going to use the second bedroom as a entertainment room, but unfortunately the only setup that would work for the room involved putting the tv/speakers/sub against a shared wall, and the first movie I watched already had the neighbors pounding. Even if I kill the sub I'm pretty sure it would be too loud, so that whole idea is now out and I'm looking to put my setup in the main room.

Here is a picture of my living room. Its 12.5' by 9' within the rectangle formed (the bottom wall is 11' wide). Those are windows on the left - I have 3 feet thick outer walls because my building was an old brewery. I'm trying to figure out if I should put my setup on the upper wall in the recessed area (flush with the front of the extended part) or along the bottom wall. I have a 60" Plasma and an Onkyo HTIB and I think it would sound fine either way, but each has its pros and cons. My main concern is that the bottom wall is another shared wall, so either way my sub will likely go in the upper left corner. But would it be less noisy for the neighbors if I had the speakers at the top facing towards them (but 12 feet away) or against their wall facing away? Also, the rest of the apartment extends towards the upper right of this picture, so if the setup was along the top, the only way to see the TV would be to come all the way around into the living room because of that section that sticks out, where as if it was along the bottom you could see it no problem from the hallway/kitchen. But then that limits seating to really only be within the recessed area.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I'd put the sub on the top left corner, avoid shared walls. In that case, your main issue with neighbors would be above and below you (assuming not blasting the audio). Do you have a subdude or something like it to set the sub on?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I'd put the sub on the top left corner, avoid shared walls. In that case, your main issue with neighbors would be above and below you (assuming not blasting the audio). Do you have a subdude or something like it to set the sub on?
Room placement and isolation devices have little to no effect on low frequency transmission through walls, floors or ceilings. The only thing that stops bass is mass, and a lot of it, as in six or more inches of solid concrete. Being into HT and apartment living tend to be mutually exclusive, unless you use headphones and buttkickers. That, or when you want to watch a movie invite the neighbors over, as they're going to hear it anyway,

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 233
You're right Bill, maybe I lie to myself a bit with that, I think my contribution to the general neighbor welfare is to dial down the subs and use small ones.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on the first floor and have tall, concrete ceilings so the only neighbors that matter are the ones next to me.

If we take the sub out of the picture, would it still matter which side I set up the rest of speakers on? On the shared wall firing away, or across the room firing towards it, or are they not low enough frequency to matter? If that's the case maybe I can still go with the entertainment room idea, just sans subwoofer (or at minimal volume)

I've lived with this setup in 2 other apartments without any problems, but the setup/layout I had was always in a living room where I could avoid shared walls...and perhaps my previous neighbors didn't care as much since it was a building with mostly college student.

Edit: Found a number of other topics asking my same question, and it sounds like it doesn't matter that much either way, though farther away firing towards may be slightly better.

Tags
Speaker Systems