in wall wire wall plate? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
is this the best option for running wires inside the wall for side and rear surrounds? thanks

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3326&seq=1&format=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
That looks like very nice product for a very good price.

My only concern about it is the density of the connectors.

They are certainly too close together to use lugs, which I prefer. Bare wire ends could be used, but only if they are carefully formed into a question-mark shape and then tinned with solder, to prevent bare strands from shorting to an adjacent connector.

I guess I would use banana plugs to terminate the wires on both sides and plug them in. That would seem to be the easiest way to insure good connections and make sure there is no potential for shorting out.

Using banana plugs is also handy if you need to temporarily disconnect for vacuuming or realigning equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

is this the best option for running wires inside the wall for side and rear surrounds? thanks
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042503&p_id=3326&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I opt for no plate and simply stick the wires through the wall at the back of the surround or up through the floor; 100% hidden. I leave enough length in the wire to reach the receiver and finish the wires with banana plug ends for the receiver or crimp lugs for the speaker connectors. All wires are hidden in the wall and run under the house to come up through the floor behind the entertainment credenza.

I despise plates as utilitarian and unsightly.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i was planning on banana plugs with them, thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If your speakerwires are hidden behind an A/V rack or stand you can also use these and avoid an additional banana connection (and they can be painted to match your wall color):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042509&p_id=3997&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm, the speakers will be wall mounted mirage nanosats. I guess I'm not huge on wires coming out of a hole in the wall. Plus there is the chance they could fall into the wall. I guess I need to decide before I hang drywall. Can banana plugs plug into the nanosats? Cause then the banana plug could keep the wires from falling back behind the drywall. Hmmm...

And I was just going to run inwall wire fore the side surrounds and rear surrounds and hide regular wire in the corners for the front stages
post #7 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

Hmmm, the speakers will be wall mounted mirage nanosats. I guess I'm not huge on wires coming out of a hole in the wall. Plus there is the chance they could fall into the wall. I guess I need to decide before I hang drywall. Can banana plugs plug into the nanosats? Cause then the banana plug could keep the wires from falling back behind the drywall. Hmmm...
And I was just going to run inwall wire fore the side surrounds and rear surrounds and hide regular wire in the corners for the front stages

If the hole is the size of the cable, friction holds the cable in place and yes, once you add plug ends it becomes more difficult. One can also wrap tape around the cable ends to make the cable size larger than the cable hole in the wallboard. And if you must have a finished look, simply screw the finishing plate directly to the wallboard.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

pretty much decided on the AM20 mounts and will run the speaker cable to a 1 gang box
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page