For $1000 which are the best bookshelf/monitors I can get from Audiogon? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/nola-boxer-with-stands-piano-black

This one intrigues me only because this retails for $1500 now, and I heard they are the best speakers you can get for that money (if bought new).

I am no expert, but I have been using the original retail price as a guideline...the more expensive the better (95% of the time).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

This one intrigues me only because this retails for $1500 now, and I heard they are the best speakers you can get for that money (if bought new).
I am no expert, but I have been using the original retail price as a guideline...the more expensive the better (95% of the time).

BITW, that's an almost impossible question to answer...without knowing what "best" means to you? What kind of music do you listen to, what's your gear like; what speakers have you heard that you liked? etc.

I see some nice brands under $1k; Spendor, Revel. Without knowing more about your situation though...if it were me, I'd be looking hard at the Totem One, just under $1k...or even harder at the Dynaudio Focus 140s, just over. I've owned that speaker; it's a beaut for the price.

Good luck!

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

BITW, that's an almost impossible question to answer...without knowing what "best" means to you? What kind of music do you listen to, what's your gear like; what speakers have you heard that you liked? etc.
I see some nice brands under $1k; Spendor, Revel. Without knowing more about your situation though...if it were me, I'd be looking hard at the Totem One, just under $1k...or even harder at the Dynaudio Focus 140s, just over. I've owned that speaker; it's a beaut for the price.
Good luck!

Fair enough --I like a whole variety, but here are my current favs:

Suzanne Vega
Alice In Chains
The Sundays
Veruca Salt
Elliot Smith
post #4 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I think you are asking two different questions.

1. Is the Nola Boxer worth $1000 used?
2. What is the best used bookshelf speaker for $1000

Regarding the Nola, don't know but a retail of $1500 might suggest a used price under $1000. Also the comment, " heard they are the best speakers you can get for that money" has been said for every $1500 monitor ever made.

For the second part of your question, far too many variables. Using your criteria " the more expensive the better (95%)" you will find monitors that retailed at $2k, $3K and even $4k or more for $1000.

Having bought several bookshelf speakers at the $1000 used price point, the Dynaudio Focus 140 is tough to beat. I have a pair of Revel M20 on AG for $800ish, retail is $2000. A great buy for your criteria.

So, buy the Nola Boxer for $1000. If you love them, you're done. If you find them in someway lacking, buy another pair of $1000 used monitors. A/B them, sell the loser. Keep going until you find the one. You may have fun with the process.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
How big a space are you trying yo fill?

Will they be on stands or actually on bookshelves?

post #6 of 14 Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Also what`is your speaker sound preference Warm , Bright ,Forward Sound,Laid Back ......?

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect / Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

BITW, you still haven't commented on what gear you have...if any; and what speakers you've had in the past, and liked or disliked. If you're just starting out, that's OK...but important to know IMO. If you're just getting started, I would definitely second stevensctt's idea; be prepared to try a variety of speakers in your price-range, to find what you like best. You do it just the way he said: you buy a pair, get used to them...establish what you like, and what you wish they did better for your taste. You try another pair that intrigues you; try not to over-pay. Put them head-to-head, and you try to sell the "loser" without losing your shirt in the process.

It's the "try not to over-pay" part, that can be tough for a newbie. If you don't know what things go for, it's hard to know what you should expect to pay; and more importantly, what to expect to get back if things don't work out. However, even if you lose $100 here, a $100 there...on a pair of $1k monitors; it might be worth a couple hundreds bucks, to really end up with the best pair for you...and not what we think is the best pair.

Of course, it never hurts to get feedback and opinions. FWIW, you've had 2 people already suggest the Dynaudio Focus 140; and one of them is selling a quality monitor himself (the Revel M20) biggrin.gif That ought to tell you something. Also...as to your OP; if you are starting out, I would say the Nola is not a good choice. Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm still curious about your kit.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
For $1395, you can get the Paradigm Studio 20 V.5.

Read the review Stereophile did on them and see what you make of it.

I doubt if there is anything in their price range that will equal them.

Quote:

post #9 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

BITW, you still haven't commented on what gear you have...if any; and what speakers you've had in the past, and liked or disliked. If you're just starting out, that's OK...but important to know IMO. If you're just getting started, I would definitely second stevensctt's idea; be prepared to try a variety of speakers in your price-range, to find what you like best. You do it just the way he said: you buy a pair, get used to them...establish what you like, and what you wish they did better for your taste. You try another pair that intrigues you; try not to over-pay. Put them head-to-head, and you try to sell the "loser" without losing your shirt in the process.
It's the "try not to over-pay" part, that can be tough for a newbie. If you don't know what things go for, it's hard to know what you should expect to pay; and more importantly, what to expect to get back if things don't work out. However, even if you lose $100 here, a $100 there...on a pair of $1k monitors; it might be worth a couple hundreds bucks, to really end up with the best pair for you...and not what we think is the best pair.
Of course, it never hurts to get feedback and opinions. FWIW, you've had 2 people already suggest the Dynaudio Focus 140; and one of them is selling a quality monitor himself (the Revel M20) biggrin.gif That ought to tell you something. Also...as to your OP; if you are starting out, I would say the Nola is not a good choice. Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm still curious about your kit.

I have an Onkyo NR609 receiver, Cambridge Minxes (5.1 setup for HT use), and have only owned mainly computer speakers--the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III being the best that I have bought.

I like realism and accuracy I suppose, and the feeling of "being there" if listening to a well recorded CD. I don't want to replace the Minxes, and this will be a separate 2 channel setup, though I wish I can use the same receiver and connect the speakers to them without having to buy an amplifier, preamp, etc.

And I will check out the Paradigm 20's. Listening to the Studio 10v5s at a store, they are more or less equal to the Focal 706Vs which is also on my "watch list". The only problem is it is much more expensive than the Focals, though they do look slightly better and are smaller.

I plan to have these on stands and not on a shelf or wallmount.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Used provides incredible value - but for $1100 you can get new Salk WOW1 monitors; small beautiful, excellent sound, and reach incredibly deep for such small monitors.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

And I will check out the Paradigm 20's. Listening to the Studio 10v5s at a store, they are more or less equal to the Focal 706Vs which is also on my "watch list". The only problem is it is much more expensive than the Focals, though they do look slightly better and are smaller.
I plan to have these on stands and not on a shelf or wallmount.

I would look at the Revel in post #4

If you like Focal - the 807V is here, and is said to be new.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/jm-focal-chorus-807v-loudspeaker-moka--2

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
There are a pair of Dali Helicon 300's for $900. There retailed for $3k. Very good speaker

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #13 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

There are a pair of Dali Helicon 300's for $900. There retailed for $3k. Very good speaker

See, BITW; this is where your question becomes really hard to answer. OT1H, I agree with Dr. Mark...those Dali are nice speakers for that price; and based on the formula in your OP, $3k new...going for $900 or less, is a bargain (although, that's entirely the wrong way to look at things IMO). But in a million years, I don't think I'd recommend Dali for a guy starting out...as it appears you are. They are not for everyone, IMO (wood-pulp mid-bass, and purported to be light in the low-end...lol).

That's why this is such a tough call; there's "best" for me, "best" for Dr. Mark..."best" for everyone else, and then "best" for you. I'm a Dynaudio guy; but that's not the only reason I recommended the Focus 140s. I don't roll like that; I'm not a fan-boy, and think my speaker is best...for everyone, and all situations. No, on second thought, here is the only advice I could probably give you...FWIW; since you are just starting out, and have an AVR...I'd stick with something fairly "well-known", and easy to drive.

You're just getting to know the "hi-end". You don't even know, what you don't know yet. You're going to get these speakers, and IMO...you're going to want to try others. You should; that's the only way you get to know what you truly want, and don't want out of a speaker or system. Point is...you might have to put this pair on the market someday, and you can have a tougher time moving "esoteric" stuff like Dali (which is maybe why a $3k pair, is listed for $900 to begin with?). Now...if you were going on your 5th pair of monitors...and you had an idea of a speaker that matched what the Dali offers, in terms of its sonics; sure, it would be a fine choice (and I'm not just trying to pick on the Dali specifically. I'd say the same thing of the Nola, etc.).

And as for the Dynaudio Focus 140? Well, it's a great all-arounder...but can be hard to drive; I don't want to catch guff from the guys who think it's nonsense...they're entitled to their opinion...but I'm not sure your AVR is up to it. If you like Paradigm, that might be a good place to start. They're a little bright for my taste...but one man's "bright", is another man's "just right". Only one way you're going to find out, where you fall on the spectrum.

Hope that helps? Let us know what you end up doing, and good luck. P.S. Don't think too hard; pick something, and get enjoying music! (as opposed to getting too caught up in the gear).

post #14 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 10
I have the Ascend Acoustic Sierra 1's and love them. They are less then 900 brand new and are id only. Worth at least twice the price. They sound like a block of wood with a knock test...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page