Def Tech XTR 50/60's vs Martin Logan Motion SLM's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
eatapeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to get some on-wall speakers for the living room so that I can move my current setup to my soon to be theater. I am looking at the Def Tech XTR 50's, or 60's, and the Martin Logan Motion SLM's. I have heard the XTR 50's but cant find anyone in the dallas area that has the SLM's on demo.

Do any of you have any experience with these? If so what route would you go? They will primarly be used for everyday TV watching games, and movies...not much music at all. They will be powered by a Denon 4311 and paired with 2 Def Tech Supercube 6000's.

Mainly interested in these models because I can get a considerable discount on them.

Thanks for any input.
eatapeach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
eatapeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience with these?

Not much info on the SLMs.
eatapeach is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
jallen013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was wondering if/how you made your decision and what you thought of it as i'm trying to make the same one.

star power in north dallas has the SLMs in their main room.
jallen013 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Member
 
wichitadisciple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally would go with the Martin Logans, they don't make junk.
I have a pair of Martin Logan Motion 12's, Motion 8 for center and Motion 4's as surrounds..... those are the cheapest speakers that ML makes and they are very nice. I got the 12's for $600/pair and would put them against anything in that price range and come out on top.

Not to mention, ML has perfected the art of making "thin" speakers... nobody comes close to them, in terms of making "thin" speakers.

EDIT... didn't realize this thread is 3 months old... LOL . I wonder what the guy ended up getting?

wichitadisciple is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Newbie
 
Frogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
... nobody comes close to them, in terms of making "thin" speakers.


Magnepan would like a word with you...

MacBook Air - Oppo BDP-105D - Audioquest Golden Gate - McIntosh MA6500 - Cardas Crosslink - Focal 1028Be II
Frogz is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 9,612
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
+1+++ !!!

And a few others, ML is not the only ESL manufacturer, and there are other planer-dynamic and ribbon speaker manufacturers as well.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Newbie
 
tomiy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering the same thing eatapeach...I'm looking at the SLMs as well and I'd like to know how they compare in sound to floor or bookshelf speakers. Also, I'd like to know if the SLM can be a good center speaker. Anyone here have these speakers that can give us some info? Thanks
tomiy1 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Newbie
 
tomiy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got an update for you guys regarding the MartinLogan SLM....I got one in the mail yesterday and tried it out this morning and I gotta say, it actually sounds pretty damn good! Im going to give it a few more days before I make my final decision, but based on what I'm hearing so far, I'd highly recommend getting 3 of these for your LCR if you're not dead set on floorstanding speakers and want the sleek look with your projector screen/ultra thin LED TV.
tomiy1 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Newbie
 
matt1colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased the Martin Logan SLM speakers for the LCR locations in our new home theater. We wanted something that was very unobtrusive, couldn't be knocked over by kids, but would still provide very good sound. We paired it with the Dynamo 1000W subwoofer and a pair of B&W CCM663 in-ceilings for surrounds, all being powered by a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver. Installation on the wall for the SLM was a breeze! We just had a new home built and I got the opportunity to prewire everything the way I wanted this time. After running the EQ feature of the Sony AV receiver and placing the subwoofer in it's sweet spot, which fortunately was just a little off center up front, the sound of this combination really came to life. I was worried about the crossover setting of the sub and making it too easy to locate it, but it worked out very well. I did not get the opportunity to demo the SLMs or 1000W sub prior to buying them, so I took a gamble based on previous ML speaker experience.

Let's put it this way...we were completely floored by the imagining and sheer output of these small speakers. I ended up crossing over the sub at 120hz, which worked perfectly to bring it all together with the SLM bottom end of 110hz. . The sealed sub has a ton of power and output to fill our 1,000+ sq ft Rec Rm area. The B&W in-ceiling surrounds aren't quite as bright as the SLMs and their FMT tweeters, but this is what I was going for. They sound very nice as well. I would highly recommend this combination for a complete HT speaker package for under $5k.

I was able to get a local Best Bye* to price match and beat some on-line prices that I found. I was able to get the following components for these prices:

ML SLM (ea) $399 x 3
ML Dynamo 1000W (ea) $738
B&W CCM663 (pr) $500
Sony STR-DN1040 (ea) $299
Sony KDL-70R550A (ea) $1,738
Sony BDP-S5100 (ea) $49
Sanus VLL10-0B1 (ea) $.01
Monster Power HDP1250G (ea) $147
Total $4,668

The wife had given me a $10k spending limit, so I took a little extra and bought myself a new H&K handgun. wink.gif
Tophlor likes this.
matt1colorado is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Newbie
 
Tophlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

You just made me chuckle with the H&K comment.

 

My wife gave me a budget when I bought the sound system after we moved to Scottsdale from So CAL where I left all my custom wiring from that system.  Well, I did all the research and decided on the SLM for LCR and FX2's for the back speakers.  Driving it with a Denon AVR and an eD sub.  I am 18 months into owning them and still love the sound clarity and marvel at the reproduction.

 

No as to the H&K...Sig Sauer will never be a bad choice.  I have 12000 rounds through my P226 and it never had a FTL or FTE.

Tophlor is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 01-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Newbie
 
Swederacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thought I was reading a on a forum about speakers?? Only in America will we also include guns in a AVS forum.. Don't get it?? But then again I was lucky enough to leave so I don't have to walk worrying about a bunch of ignoramus and their guns. ;-)

 

Back to subject, Sounds like the ML's are still up there. My SL3's have served me well since '98 so I guess now I need to look from XL's...:D

Swederacer is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophlor View Post
 

You just made me chuckle with the H&K comment.

 

My wife gave me a budget when I bought the sound system after we moved to Scottsdale from So CAL where I left all my custom wiring from that system.  Well, I did all the research and decided on the SLM for LCR and FX2's for the back speakers.  Driving it with a Denon AVR and an eD sub.  I am 18 months into owning them and still love the sound clarity and marvel at the reproduction.

 

No as to the H&K...Sig Sauer will never be a bad choice.  I have 12000 rounds through my P226 and it never had a FTL or FTE.

 

Proud owner of the Sig Sauer 229. No issues what so ever. 


Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Newbie
 
RiceToy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Not to hijack, but also have Sig P228 w/LaserMax (replaces the pin below the barrel) - love that gun so much I sold my H&K because it was too neglected. Am an H&K fan too, but why keep multiple 9mm to manage. If I were to get another H&K, I'd like to find a fully optioned SL8 - maybe some day I'll find one at a gun show.

 

Meanwhile, I am also in the market for wall-mount speakers, and considering the Martin Logan SLM-XL or B&W FPM-6. Probably can't go wrong with either choice, but the ML's are less expensive and seem more easy to find (here in the States). Are the B&W FPM-6 worth the extra $?

 

I currently have a set of B&W FPM-4 and think they sound pretty good, but have read that they respond well to the better class of receivers/amps - especially those with the capability to drive 4ohm loads effectively (which I don't currently have in the Sony STR-DE675). I've heard good things about Denon receivers. Any advice on a better receiver choice for driving the SLM-XL's or FPM-6's?

RiceToy is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Newbie
 
AudioArchitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In case anyone stumbled on this thread about powering Martin Logan SLM's or other 4 ohm speakers that are power hungry and/or want to be played loud... The Integra 80.3 would be a good choice or something similar. Not the best but will do the trick. Even better, use an AVR that has all the features you want (decoding...), don't worry about power ratings, make sure it has pre-outs to connect a better amp(s) like an ATI 1805...
AudioArchitech is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I too am trying to decide between the SLM's and XTR-60's for a living room setup. My main concern is subwoofer integration. Can anyone comment on how the bottom end of these speakers sound? I've owned subs with passive radiator designs before, and always found them "slow." My concern is that with these thin speakers, the manufacturers have taken the Bose route (though Bose does it by cabinet and port tuning) by letting passive radiators try to reproduce frequencies that the active drivers will not. I cant see how this could be done without at least a little smearing.


I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking these things will sound like my CM9's, but accuracy would be nice.


And as long as we're on the subject...I owned a P229 and just couldn't shoot the thing well, as the trigger break was WAY back compared to my Glock 19, which I can shoot well. Both are and have been VERY reliable pistols, but it is pretty hard to beat a Glock when you take all things into consideration.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - Martin Logan SLM-XL - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB-2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON RED
adrummingdude is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Newbie
 
RiceToy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I too am trying to decide between the SLM's and XTR-60's for a living room setup. My main concern is subwoofer integration. Can anyone comment on how the bottom end of these speakers sound? I've owned subs with passive radiator designs before, and always found them "slow." My concern is that with these thin speakers, the manufacturers have taken the Bose route (though Bose does it by cabinet and port tuning) by letting passive radiators try to reproduce frequencies that the active drivers will not. I cant see how this could be done without at least a little smearing.


I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking these things will sound like my CM9's, but accuracy would be nice.


And as long as we're on the subject...I owned a P229 and just couldn't shoot the thing well, as the trigger break was WAY back compared to my Glock 19, which I can shoot well. Both are and have been VERY reliable pistols, but it is pretty hard to beat a Glock when you take all things into consideration.
I have the Martin Logan SLM-XL's as my mains and recently installed 4 Martin Logan ML60i's in the ceiling for 7.1 surround. I have been very pleased with all the Martin Logan speakers, and see them as a great value in higher-end solutions. You can find them very competitively priced online at New Audio Video (NAV). At the time I was looking for wall-mounted flat panels comparing ML SLM-XL and B&W FPM-6. I already had a pair of B&W FPM5's so I knew what they sounded like and I chose SLM-XL's. My main concern was that they are only rated down to 110 Hz.

I have not heard the Definitive Technologies XTR50/XTR60/Mythos9/Mythos10, but looking at the specs, I'd rather have the Mythos10 than the XTR60 for the same price, because the Mythos10's go down to 32Hz and have 93dB sensitivity, whereas, the XTR60's only go down to 70Hz and 92dB.

NAV seems to have attractive pricing on both Martin Logan and DefTech, where you could get a set of Mythos10's90 for just a couple hundred more than the SLM-XL's - which is what I'd probably do. The mains going down to 32Hz should solve your issue with bass integration. I'm not saying anything bad about the SLM-XL's mind you - I love them. ML makes an outstanding product, and I especially like the wide-angle dispersion of the ribbon tweeter, which is why I shy'd away from DefTech back then - I don't typically care for hard-dome (aluminum/ceramic) tweeters, having always preferred silk domes or ribbon or electrostatic due to their smooth sound.

My center channel is still a little old Bose I've been using for many years. Eventually, I'll likely get another SLM-XL to replace that.

I got very interested in subwoofers for this system recently, but ended-up getting a BIC PL-200 to see if it would do the job. Since they are so cheap (>$280), I figured if I absolutely didn't like it for home theater, then it could be moved to the garage. After listening and adjusting location a little, I like it well enough for now. It is ported, and I was immediately reminded why I don't like ported subwoofers. Poor accuracy when listening to music and boomy at certain frequencies (likely around the 50Hz range). I've built many custom subwoofers over the years, for both car/truck and home - all sealed enclosures because I learned that lesson many years ago building home speakers (as a teenager). Sometimes a great value lures you into going against what you know. On the positive side, the PL-200 is plenty strong for the room, and very good (for the price) for home theater duty - mind you not earth-shaking like an SVS or other similarly priced competitor, but satisfactory. Funny thing about that is the Audyssey (in the Denon receiver) set the sub to -12dB (it's lowest setting), and I have the gain on the sub set to about 2/5 of the way up - so there is plenty of bang for the buck with that sub, and it doesn't do anything terrible like enclosure noise, bad build quality, unattractive, etc. I think they may be some of the best values in subwoofers (ether the BIC F-12 or the slightly up-scale PL-200).

Speaking of bang - every enthusiast has their favorite gun. Usually the one that feels best in the hand... the one that 'fits'. Like a motorcycle, it is the one that feels like an extension of yourself - where you become one with the machine. For me it is the Sig... and BMW's. Had a Glock 19 (bought at the PX on Camp Pendleton in 90), great gun, wasn't inspired by it.
RiceToy is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 04-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceToy View Post
I have the Martin Logan SLM-XL's as my mains and recently installed 4 Martin Logan ML60i's in the ceiling for 7.1 surround. I have been very pleased with all the Martin Logan speakers, and see them as a great value in higher-end solutions. You can find them very competitively priced online at New Audio Video (NAV). At the time I was looking for wall-mounted flat panels comparing ML SLM-XL and B&W FPM-6. I already had a pair of B&W FPM5's so I knew what they sounded like and I chose SLM-XL's. My main concern was that they are only rated down to 110 Hz.

I have not heard the Definitive Technologies XTR50/XTR60/Mythos9/Mythos10, but looking at the specs, I'd rather have the Mythos10 than the XTR60 for the same price, because the Mythos10's go down to 32Hz and have 93dB sensitivity, whereas, the XTR60's only go down to 70Hz and 92dB.

NAV seems to have attractive pricing on both Martin Logan and DefTech, where you could get a set of Mythos10's90 for just a couple hundred more than the SLM-XL's - which is what I'd probably do. The mains going down to 32Hz should solve your issue with bass integration. I'm not saying anything bad about the SLM-XL's mind you - I love them. ML makes an outstanding product, and I especially like the wide-angle dispersion of the ribbon tweeter, which is why I shy'd away from DefTech back then - I don't typically care for hard-dome (aluminum/ceramic) tweeters, having always preferred silk domes or ribbon or electrostatic due to their smooth sound.

My center channel is still a little old Bose I've been using for many years. Eventually, I'll likely get another SLM-XL to replace that.

I got very interested in subwoofers for this system recently, but ended-up getting a BIC PL-200 to see if it would do the job. Since they are so cheap (>$280), I figured if I absolutely didn't like it for home theater, then it could be moved to the garage. After listening and adjusting location a little, I like it well enough for now. It is ported, and I was immediately reminded why I don't like ported subwoofers. Poor accuracy when listening to music and boomy at certain frequencies (likely around the 50Hz range). I've built many custom subwoofers over the years, for both car/truck and home - all sealed enclosures because I learned that lesson many years ago building home speakers (as a teenager). Sometimes a great value lures you into going against what you know. On the positive side, the PL-200 is plenty strong for the room, and very good (for the price) for home theater duty - mind you not earth-shaking like an SVS or other similarly priced competitor, but satisfactory. Funny thing about that is the Audyssey (in the Denon receiver) set the sub to -12dB (it's lowest setting), and I have the gain on the sub set to about 2/5 of the way up - so there is plenty of bang for the buck with that sub, and it doesn't do anything terrible like enclosure noise, bad build quality, unattractive, etc. I think they may be some of the best values in subwoofers (ether the BIC F-12 or the slightly up-scale PL-200).

Speaking of bang - every enthusiast has their favorite gun. Usually the one that feels best in the hand... the one that 'fits'. Like a motorcycle, it is the one that feels like an extension of yourself - where you become one with the machine. For me it is the Sig... and BMW's. Had a Glock 19 (bought at the PX on Camp Pendleton in 90), great gun, wasn't inspired by it.


Bummer you're not using one of the SLM-XL's for the center channel as well, as this would actually be my biggest curiosity with that particular design. That is to say, would the ribbon tweeter be coherent across the front three channels if the center were turned on it's side.


I've learned not to skimp on subwoofers, and indeed the more you pay, the (usually) better subwoofer you will get. Now, the caveat to this theory is that the biggest, most expensive subwoofers are so massive and powerful that they are, in my experience, actually harder to seamlessly integrate into your system unless your mains are equally massive and powerful. Otherwise, you either aren't going to realize the full potential of your massive sub, or you'll drive your other speakers way past where they should be going and it still won't sound right.


I've found mostly that there are two types of guys who run giant speakers - single guys, or guys with dedicated listening/theater rooms. I am neither, but chuckle when I hear guys say "My wife doesn't care if I fill our living room with speakers the size of refrigerators..." Yeah right, dude. She's actually plotting your demise. You'd better sleep with one eye open and not sign any insurance papers.


I agree that guns which fit your hand are preferable, but for me the top priority is that it goes bang every time I need it to, which actually puts quite a few nice guns out of my consideration (cough...1911...cough). I don't own enough guns, nor am I so much of an enthusiast for inspiration to play any kind of role in my decision making. I view guns as tools...though I would like to have a M1-A with a walnut stock. All joking aside, I've been down the guns as a hobby road (including 1911's), and found it to be at least as expensive as audio or drums, and I only have the budget for so many expensive hobbies.

HT: B&W CM9 S2 - Martin Logan SLM-XL - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB-2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A51 - Marantz AV7702 MKii - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON RED
adrummingdude is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10,330
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3029 Post(s)
Liked: 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiy1 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing eatapeach...I'm looking at the SLMs as well and I'd like to know how they compare in sound to floor or bookshelf speakers. Also, I'd like to know if the SLM can be a good center speaker. Anyone here have these speakers that can give us some info? Thanks
I'm using a Martin Logan SLM XL for a center channel, with my Motion 40's. It is hands down the best center channel I've had yet in my theater. I don't know why I didn't think to try one sooner. Those height speakers in the photo are Motion 4's in case anyone was wondering.





By the way, we sell Martin Logan ( and Definitive Technologies ) speakers at AV Science - call or email for a quote.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off