Def Tech XTR 50/60's vs Martin Logan Motion SLM's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to get some on-wall speakers for the living room so that I can move my current setup to my soon to be theater. I am looking at the Def Tech XTR 50's, or 60's, and the Martin Logan Motion SLM's. I have heard the XTR 50's but cant find anyone in the dallas area that has the SLM's on demo.

Do any of you have any experience with these? If so what route would you go? They will primarly be used for everyday TV watching games, and movies...not much music at all. They will be powered by a Denon 4311 and paired with 2 Def Tech Supercube 6000's.

Mainly interested in these models because I can get a considerable discount on them.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any experience with these?

Not much info on the SLMs.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM

was wondering if/how you made your decision and what you thought of it as i'm trying to make the same one.

star power in north dallas has the SLMs in their main room.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 PM

I personally would go with the Martin Logans, they don't make junk.
I have a pair of Martin Logan Motion 12's, Motion 8 for center and Motion 4's as surrounds..... those are the cheapest speakers that ML makes and they are very nice. I got the 12's for $600/pair and would put them against anything in that price range and come out on top.

Not to mention, ML has perfected the art of making "thin" speakers... nobody comes close to them, in terms of making "thin" speakers.

EDIT... didn't realize this thread is 3 months old... LOL . I wonder what the guy ended up getting?

post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
... nobody comes close to them, in terms of making "thin" speakers.

Magnepan would like a word with you...
post #6 of 13 Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 224
+1+++ !!!

And a few others, ML is not the only ESL manufacturer, and there are other planer-dynamic and ribbon speaker manufacturers as well.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 13 Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM

I'm wondering the same thing eatapeach...I'm looking at the SLMs as well and I'd like to know how they compare in sound to floor or bookshelf speakers. Also, I'd like to know if the SLM can be a good center speaker. Anyone here have these speakers that can give us some info? Thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM

I got an update for you guys regarding the MartinLogan SLM....I got one in the mail yesterday and tried it out this morning and I gotta say, it actually sounds pretty damn good! Im going to give it a few more days before I make my final decision, but based on what I'm hearing so far, I'd highly recommend getting 3 of these for your LCR if you're not dead set on floorstanding speakers and want the sleek look with your projector screen/ultra thin LED TV.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 11
Purchased the Martin Logan SLM speakers for the LCR locations in our new home theater. We wanted something that was very unobtrusive, couldn't be knocked over by kids, but would still provide very good sound. We paired it with the Dynamo 1000W subwoofer and a pair of B&W CCM663 in-ceilings for surrounds, all being powered by a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver. Installation on the wall for the SLM was a breeze! We just had a new home built and I got the opportunity to prewire everything the way I wanted this time. After running the EQ feature of the Sony AV receiver and placing the subwoofer in it's sweet spot, which fortunately was just a little off center up front, the sound of this combination really came to life. I was worried about the crossover setting of the sub and making it too easy to locate it, but it worked out very well. I did not get the opportunity to demo the SLMs or 1000W sub prior to buying them, so I took a gamble based on previous ML speaker experience.

Let's put it this way...we were completely floored by the imagining and sheer output of these small speakers. I ended up crossing over the sub at 120hz, which worked perfectly to bring it all together with the SLM bottom end of 110hz. . The sealed sub has a ton of power and output to fill our 1,000+ sq ft Rec Rm area. The B&W in-ceiling surrounds aren't quite as bright as the SLMs and their FMT tweeters, but this is what I was going for. They sound very nice as well. I would highly recommend this combination for a complete HT speaker package for under $5k.

I was able to get a local Best Bye* to price match and beat some on-line prices that I found. I was able to get the following components for these prices:

ML SLM (ea) $399 x 3
ML Dynamo 1000W (ea) $738
B&W CCM663 (pr) $500
Sony STR-DN1040 (ea) $299
Sony KDL-70R550A (ea) $1,738
Sony BDP-S5100 (ea) $49
Sanus VLL10-0B1 (ea) $.01
Monster Power HDP1250G (ea) $147
Total $4,668

The wife had given me a $10k spending limit, so I took a little extra and bought myself a new H&K handgun. wink.gif
Tophlor likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2014, 04:03 PM

You just made me chuckle with the H&K comment.

My wife gave me a budget when I bought the sound system after we moved to Scottsdale from So CAL where I left all my custom wiring from that system.  Well, I did all the research and decided on the SLM for LCR and FX2's for the back speakers.  Driving it with a Denon AVR and an eD sub.  I am 18 months into owning them and still love the sound clarity and marvel at the reproduction.

No as to the H&K...Sig Sauer will never be a bad choice.  I have 12000 rounds through my P226 and it never had a FTL or FTE.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM

Thought I was reading a on a forum about speakers?? Only in America will we also include guns in a AVS forum.. Don't get it?? But then again I was lucky enough to leave so I don't have to walk worrying about a bunch of ignoramus and their guns. ;-)

Back to subject, Sounds like the ML's are still up there. My SL3's have served me well since '98 so I guess now I need to look from XL's...:D

post #12 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophlor View Post

You just made me chuckle with the H&K comment.

My wife gave me a budget when I bought the sound system after we moved to Scottsdale from So CAL where I left all my custom wiring from that system.  Well, I did all the research and decided on the SLM for LCR and FX2's for the back speakers.  Driving it with a Denon AVR and an eD sub.  I am 18 months into owning them and still love the sound clarity and marvel at the reproduction.

No as to the H&K...Sig Sauer will never be a bad choice.  I have 12000 rounds through my P226 and it never had a FTL or FTE.

Proud owner of the Sig Sauer 229. No issues what so ever. 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Not to hijack, but also have Sig P228 w/LaserMax (replaces the pin below the barrel) - love that gun so much I sold my H&K because it was too neglected. Am an H&K fan too, but why keep multiple 9mm to manage. If I were to get another H&K, I'd like to find a fully optioned SL8 - maybe some day I'll find one at a gun show.

Meanwhile, I am also in the market for wall-mount speakers, and considering the Martin Logan SLM-XL or B&W FPM-6. Probably can't go wrong with either choice, but the ML's are less expensive and seem more easy to find (here in the States). Are the B&W FPM-6 worth the extra $?

I currently have a set of B&W FPM-4 and think they sound pretty good, but have read that they respond well to the better class of receivers/amps - especially those with the capability to drive 4ohm loads effectively (which I don't currently have in the Sony STR-DE675). I've heard good things about Denon receivers. Any advice on a better receiver choice for driving the SLM-XL's or FPM-6's?

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page