Keep the ELT's or go with in walls? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just moved into our new home and I plan on wall mounting our 55" Vizio on the wall. I have a set of Onix ELT's and I love them but I would like a clean look. I could mount the left and right on the wall almost out of view but the center would have to go under the TV. It's a big wall with just the TV and pictures and all the components will be located in a closet. I just don't want to sacrifice any sound and plus I already have the ELT'S, but I would strongly consider it if it will sound as good.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post

We just moved into our new home and I plan on wall mounting our 55" Vizio on the wall. I have a set of Onix ELT's and I love them but I would like a clean look. I could mount the left and right on the wall almost out of view but the center would have to go under the TV. It's a big wall with just the TV and pictures and all the components will be located in a closet. I just don't want to sacrifice any sound and plus I already have the ELT'S, but I would strongly consider it if it will sound as good.
Thanks

I would try wall mounting them first and see how you like them. That said, these speaker are rear ported, so having them right against the wall is not going to be ideal and could result in muddy sound. But again, try it and see what you think.

If you go the in wall route, what budget are we talking about and do you have a subwoofer?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have some Omni mounts that keep them off the wall and they would be mounted up high in the corners facing down. As far as a sub, I have 2 incredible DIY subs that shake the house. If I decided to go with the in walls, my budget would be around 1,000 for the set of 5. After thinking more about it, I think I will mount these speakers and see how it goes, if it works then I saved a grand. I will post some pics hopefully next week. I'm wiring everything next weekend and hopefully will have the media closet all together.

Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago52 View Post

Well I have some Omni mounts that keep them off the wall and they would be mounted up high in the corners facing down. As far as a sub, I have 2 incredible DIY subs that shake the house. If I decided to go with the in walls, my budget would be around 1,000 for the set of 5. After thinking more about it, I think I will mount these speakers and see how it goes, if it works then I saved a grand. I will post some pics hopefully next week. I'm wiring everything next weekend and hopefully will have the media closet all together.
Thanks for your help.

It is not ideal to mount your left and right main speakers high on the wall, especially in the corner. Give it a try, I think that makes sense, but an in wall speaker would definitely give you a cleaner look and more optimal placement (and I am guessing better sound). For $1K you could get three matching in wall speakers for your mains and use the Onix speakers for surrounds.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, just an update. I mounted the 2 fronts and surrounds this weekend. I still have some tweaking to do but they sound great. I purchased some sans speaker brackets and the speakers are approximately 8" from the wall. I was also able to get all the components cemtralized and the hardware for the roomie remote. I'm loving the fact that I can't see any wires. I will try to post some pics.

Thanks for the input
post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

The last picture is a DIY sub and it shakes the house. I even built a second one but have no room for it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page