Old 05-26-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

lol that's nothing more than a pre-made integrated amplifier built by B&O with a new box around it and a 100% increase in price. For a $800 ICEPower kit D-sonic will build you a aluminum box and charge you an extra $900 for it.

It's nothing more Lexicon releasing an Oppo BDP-83 with a silver box and increasing the price by 500%.
AFAIK, D-Sonic no longer uses B&O modules and hasn't for awhile.
And I know for fact that D-sonic doesn't sell integrated amps.
You may not like D-Sonic amps but that hardly makes them a rip-off or their pricing model out of the norm.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I assume this is addressed to me?
I think I paid maybe $10-$12 for 20 amp Hubbell outlets.
IMO, good contact is as important for AC components as it is for ICs and speaker cable.
The Hubbells have probably 3 times the metal content as home grade Leviton etc., and the contact for the male plug is far better.
If you missed the gist of my post it was NOT to spend money on whatever Panamax device it but to go straight into the wall.
There is a real reason that these type of outlets are made and it's not for audiophile voodoo but to insure a solid contact and guts that allow all of the circuit's capacity to be used.
This was advice I got from the guy that installed and maintained the electrical\electronics infrastructure in our data center.
You may not agree with that and that's fine of course.
that makes sense. I was under the impression you thought it made an audible difference. Thanks for the clarification.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is no comparison between the construction and marketing of the Lexicaon/Oppo unit, and the D-Sonic amplifiers.

Obviously you have never seen and hear a D-Sonic amp, nor read the reviews mentioned at the www.d-sonic.net website, or checked the relevant comments in
the Revel speaker forum.[/B]

I have seen the custom designed circuit boards designed to work with the carefully selected power modules that sound even better then the excellent ICEPower modules.

I have also heard how great the D-Sonic amps works when used with the Revel Salon speakers.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post

D-SONIC amps are wonderful mates for the Revels. Powerful, clean, cool, quiet and fault tolerant, check the specs and reviews at www.d-sonic.net

lol that's nothing more than a pre-made integrated amplifier built by B&O with a new box around it and a 100% increase in price. For a $800 ICEPower kit D-sonic will build you a aluminum box and charge you an extra $900 for it.

That's probably not fair. If nothing else - and I don't know what module they use, nor care - but if nothing else they seem to include 12V triggers.

What's more interesting is to know how the output filter is handled. Do they offer similar mid/HF performance as Hypex and the newest Icepower, or are they cool-running crayons like many older Class D amps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post

Obviously you have never seen and hear a D-Sonic amp, nor read the reviews mentioned at the www.d-sonic.net website, ***

Then again, anyone who buys a audio part based on "reviews" at the audio part marketer's website, or who considers such "reviews" remotely credible...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Old 05-28-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99

Obviously you have never seen and hear a D-Sonic amp, nor read the reviews mentioned at the www.d-sonic.net website, ***
DS-21, if you're going to quote me make sure I posted what you are attributing to me.

That's not my post.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Fixed. My apologies.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Fixed. My apologies.
No big smile.gif

Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a pair of Ultima Salon IIs and an Ultima Voice II to match. I'm in the process of rebuilding my system to match everything up properly but I couldn't wait. I hooked it up to my Anthem MRX 700 and it works fine for background & moderate listening levels. No doubt the 700 isn't enough power for some serious listening sessions. I already see these babys can take power being dumped into them. So I will wait till I get everything the way I want before I can truly run these through their paces, but in the mean time I am loving life.

You don't NEED 500 watts per, but it isn't a bad thing if you have it. Me? I'll be getting by with 325 per and feel that'll be fine for the room it's in.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt@ca View Post

I bought a pair of Ultima Salon IIs and an Ultima Voice II to match. I'm in the process of rebuilding my system to match everything up properly but I couldn't wait. I hooked it up to my Anthem MRX 700 and it works fine for background & moderate listening levels. No doubt the 700 isn't enough power for some serious listening sessions. I already see these babys can take power being dumped into them. So I will wait till I get everything the way I want before I can truly run these through their paces, but in the mean time I am loving life.

You don't NEED 500 watts per, but it isn't a bad thing if you have it. Me? I'll be getting by with 325 per and feel that'll be fine for the room it's in.
Congrats! Salon2 and Voice2, extremely nice. The MX700 is a nice piece. What are you going to use as an external amp?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt@ca View Post

Congrats. Very nice.

Even if the Salon2 only need a 150 WPC amp (HTM got blessings from Kevin Voecks to use an ATI 150 WPC amp when they reviewed the Ultima2 system), I bet most of us owners will use a 200-500 WPC amp. We don't need to. We just have to. biggrin.gif

Tags
Component Amplifiers