post #91 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by babak147 View Post

Im leaning toward ATI AT3004 ( BI-AMP the fronts) and AT3003 to power the center and rear speakers. But since Im in no hurry Ill try to audition as many as I can. I made a long list Im surprised that only a few of those AMPs were commented on.
Anyone class D amps ?

Just get the AT3007 for $3700 (msrp is $5000).

http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/amplifiers/ati-at3007-seven-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier-b-stock-120-v.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

Those amps offer great value as compared to say Krell, Mark Levinson, Halcro and others.
A few post back someone shouted out Lap Gruppen. They are great as well. Shoot I have tried and sold a few FACE AUDIO amps.
Many choices for sure.
Just two more maybe. Cary Audio Design and Conrad Johnson

Did I mention ATI makes some amps for Levinson and Cary? biggrin.gif
post #93 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Cool. Did you compare those in your room with your speakers or are they amps you heard somewhere else? Which speakers did you use when you compared the Behringer to the other amps? Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you as that is not my intention. Just curious about what your path to the Behringers was and how you got there.

Harbeth SHL5. I've had the Behringers for a few years and used them for Magnepans / B&W 805N / Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M. They have been wonderful with all of these. I have tried to swap in an Emotiva XPA-2 but could not hear any difference. I've heard the Harbeths in a room a bit larger than mine but treated with Naim, Leben, Audio Note. Sounds good but not better to me. I can understand why many say amazing amp quality is a lot of placebo. I'm sure if I had an amazing amp that runs 10K-20K and I really, really listened I could hear a difference with the right material. But for my daily varied listening of vocals / punk / rap / rock / adele / jazz / FM / AM I think the Behringers get me 98% of the way there. Then I think about the $9K I saved and that gets me the other 2% of the way. smile.gif
post #94 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I get a pretty good kick knowing that Andrew Robinson uses a $500 Crown XLS2000 amp with his $25,000 B&W 800D2. biggrin.gif

The difference an amp makes is so very small and subtle compared to speakers.

I've used my Crown XLS2500 on my Salon2 and they sound great as well.

I think the AT3007 ($5K msrp) for $3700 is the answer for the mighty Salon2.

But if you wait long enough, Classic Audio Parts (CAP) may have it on sale @ 50% off, which is $2500.

I've bought 4 ATI amps from CAP all @ 50% off. biggrin.gif
post #95 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked: 11
BeeMan458, I can't tell if you are trying to get a rise out of everyone here, or perhaps you really believe what you are saying. Oh well!
post #96 of 460 Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Im leaning toward ATI AT3004 ( BI-AMP the fronts) and AT3003 to power the center and rear speakers. But since Im in no hurry Ill try to audition as many as I can. I made a long list Im surprised that only a few of those AMPs were commented on.
Anyone class D amps ?

Babak147, What are you using for your source component? What kind of music do you listen to? And last, do you listen at high volumes?

Sparks81
post #97 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks81 View Post

Babak147, What are you using for your source component? What kind of music do you listen to? And last, do you listen at high volumes?
Sparks81
Im collecting a small collection of SACDs , DVD-As and music Blu-rays , I have about 2TB worth of FLACs. And last but not least I use MOG all day long.
I have 3 DACS , FIIO 17 that I carry with my Macbook. I have a Fostex HP-P1 to use with my iphone and a Cambridge audio DacMagic Plus for my headphones.

I listen to music loud when possible , For some reason ( Maybe some hearing defect or just my perception) I feel like I dont hear the details if its not loud enough. ( My loud enough seems to bother some others).
When I was shopping for speakers I noticed that I was disliking some speakers just because I thought they were never loud enough which actually was lack of my perceived detail.
So I decided to eliminate this issue with a powerful enough amp and a trusted tried pair of speakers like Salon2s.
Maybe lack of detail was from the power cord or inexpensive surge protector or USB cable.biggrin.gif

I listen to Classic rock, Classical and a mixture of pretty much everything else.
If I was going to an Island and was asked to take just one artist with me I would chose Pink Floyd.
post #98 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I get a pretty good kick knowing that Andrew Robinson uses a $500 Crown XLS2000 amp with his $25,000 B&W 800D2. biggrin.gif
The difference an amp makes is so very small and subtle compared to speakers.
I've used my Crown XLS2500 on my Salon2 and they sound great as well.
I think the AT3007 ($5K msrp) for $3700 is the answer for the mighty Salon2.
But if you wait long enough, Classic Audio Parts (CAP) may have it on sale @ 50% off, which is $2500.
I've bought 4 ATI amps from CAP all @ 50% off. biggrin.gif
Well , There is a small problem. All ATI amps above AT3004 ( AT3005,....) have a 20Amp power cord.
When they were wiring my room I asked them to put a dedicated line just for the amp that they did , I dont know if they used a 12G wire for 20Amp line or not. I case they didnt ( which is likely) What should i do ?
post #99 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adupree View Post

I have used lots of pro amps. Lab Gruppen, QSC, Crown, Mackie, Crest.
Please let me know what you think, I appreciate your input.
post #100 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

What other amps have you compared the Behringers to?

I have used Lab Gruppen, Crown, Mackie, QSC, Crest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Behringer has a mixed rep for reliability, not sound quality. If you are only going to place them in a climate controlled home audio setting where they will rarely be moved, they ought to do fine. It's when you take them on tour that things go wrong. He was undoubtedly referring to their reliability.

I'm not referring to only reliability. They have really bad quality control, they truly do sound bad. And they have a bad rep because they copy other's designs, in-particularly Mackie gear.

Ignorance is a choice
post #101 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Quote:

If I was going to an Island and was asked to take just one artist with me I would chose Pink Floyd.

Me too

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #102 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

If you go ATI and I am assuming Voice2 for center, I would recommend 3003 for front 3 and 2004 for eventual 7.x. Unless you get it set up right, biamp will not help much. For class D check this out but above your budget. http://www.devialet.com/index.php. Class A hybrid??
I was planning to Bi-AMP my front Salon2s with a 3004 ( to give them enough power) and use a 3003 for center and Rear speakers ( havent decided between Studio2s or Gem2s).
What should I do to set it up right ? Why wouldn't bi-amping help ? ( Im counting on biamping to give me almost equal to 600wpc using an AT3004)
post #103 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks81 View Post

BeeMan458, I can't tell if you are trying to get a rise out of everyone here, or perhaps you really believe what you are saying. Oh well!

In reflection on your above, let's see what I posted: "(climbs into flame resistant suit)"

As I posted, I'm stating my observations. If that causes a rise in people, then it's a well deserved rise. An example, what amplifier standards are considered neutral vs what can humans hear. If the standards of an amplifier's neutrality exceeds the majorities hearing capability by a factor of two to six, then it's an unrealistic standard and should be stated as such. If there are fifty manufactures of high end amplifiers with more being added every few months, then it needs to be stated that amplifiers have entered the realm of a commodity, amplifier circuitry is cookie cutter and there's no justification for the exorbitant prices other than supporting manufacturing costs and profit; another person's lifestyle.

If that creates a rise, then it's a well deserved rise and needs to be stated as such. Realistic conversations are based on realistic conversation. So in direct answer to your question, yes, I'm expecting to get a rise out of everyone based on what I sincerely believe, based on the facts everybody knows is on the table; the king has no clothes on. But in all honesty, if at all, I expect my comments to be responded to at the emotional level as opposed to the empirical level.

The jury is not out on this issue.

-
post #104 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Please let me know what you think, I appreciate your input.

The Lab Gruppens are INCREDIBLE! They are indestructible and make HUGE power. I have always been a really big fan of Crown and QSC also. I did a show awhile back with a JBL VRX arrays powered with Crown, sounded amazing. Those are probably the most common amps I see. The Crest I've only used a few times but was pleased with them.

Ignorance is a choice
post #105 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well , There is a small problem. All ATI amps above AT3004 ( AT3005,....) have a 20Amp power cord.
When they were wiring my room I asked them to put a dedicated line just for the amp that they did , I dont know if they used a 12G wire for 20Amp line or not. I case they didnt ( which is likely) What should i do ?

It doesn't matter if you get a AT3004 & 3002. You will need a 20A circuit for that kind of power. So you need to get a 20A installed.

Same thing if you get any high power amps x 7ch.
post #106 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:

It doesn't matter if you get a AT3004 & 3002. You will need a 20A circuit for that kind of power. So you need to get a 20A installed.
Same thing if you get any high power amps x 7ch.

Three important qualities to be had in your case above, an electrician you've used before, lots of easy attic or crawl space access and "BUILDING PERMITS."
post #107 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just to add another nod to Crown, I just purchased a used crown K2 amp - 500 watts at 8 ohms, 850 at 4 and 1250 at 2 ohms. It is dead silent, very transparent, has a decent look to it, has great bass slam as it is known for and also plays beautifully at low volume. I have wanted to try a pro amp just for fun for years and I am pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately though, it is way under budget.
post #108 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/amplifiers/xls-drivecore.html

The Harman Crown (hey, Harman owns Revel Salons too eek.gif ) XLS 2500 is 440wpc x2ch 8 ohms/ 775wpc x2ch 4 ohms/ 1200wpc x 2ch 2 ohms (Salons are 4 ohms).

Just get 3 of these amps = $1650. Even though they fit your 15A outlets, you must install 20A.

775wpc x 5 ch is more than you will ever need for speakers. Even if you buy 2 ohms speakers, these can crank out 1200wpc. eek.gif

They are very silent. I cannot hear any fan noise. And very cool - very little heat.
post #109 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Three important qualities to be had in your case above, an electrician you've used before, lots of easy attic or crawl space access and "BUILDING PERMITS."

How much does it usually cost to install (retrofit) a 20A circuit?
post #110 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:

How much does it usually cost to install (retrofit) a 20A circuit?

FWIW, there's no retrofitting as you'll be running a separate circuit from the service box. As to costs, it's a bit of a wide target as to make sure it's all done to code, it's going depend on permit costs with the city or county. Next, it's going depend on if your service box is up to current code standards. The rub being, once your box is touched, the service will, by law, be required to be brought up to code and that can be two or three thousand dollars alone.

Right or wrong, assuming you don't have to upgrade your service box, it's going depend on attic or under house crawl space accessibility. The more difficult the access, the higher the price; this couple with the prevailing per/hr wage structure. In our case, where we're located, I'd fully expect, to have a separate 20 or 30 Amp service installed, to be charged between $500.00 0 $1,000.00 and we have "VERY" easy access and no need to upgrade our service box; house and wiring is ten years old. eek.gif

In my opinion, at that price, considering it's all about entertainment, money well spent.
post #111 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FWIW, there's no retrofitting as you'll be running a separate circuit from the service box. As to costs, it's a bit of a wide target as to make sure it's all done to code, it's going depend on permit costs with the city or county. Next, it's going depend on if your service box is up to current code standards. The rub being, once your box is touched, the service will, by law, be required to be brought up to code and that can be two or three thousand dollars alone.
Right or wrong, assuming you don't have to upgrade your service box, it's going depend on attic or under house crawl space accessibility. The more difficult the access, the higher the price; this couple with the prevailing per/hr wage structure. In our case, where we're located, I'd fully expect, to have a separate 20 or 30 Amp service installed, to be charged between $500.00 0 $1,000.00 and we have "VERY" easy access and no need to upgrade our service box; house and wiring is ten years old. eek.gif
In my opinion, at that price, considering it's all about entertainment, money well spent.
Dang,
Class D Here I come .....
post #112 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:

Man, it did not cost me that much at all. I don't know how much work was involved but I just had 4 more 20 amp circuits installed and it cost me about $500. I now have 5 20 amp circuits for my theater.
post #113 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

Just to add another nod to Crown, I just purchased a used crown K2 amp - 500 watts at 8 ohms, 850 at 4 and 1250 at 2 ohms. It is dead silent, very transparent, has a decent look to it, has great bass slam as it is known for and also plays beautifully at low volume. I have wanted to try a pro amp just for fun for years and I am pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately though, it is way under budget.
I dont pride myself into expensive stuff, The 10K title came from the fact that a 400WPC amp from big boys will cost around or more than 10K.
I dont have a 10K that want to get ride of it.
If I can do with Crown or ATI and get the same result Ill do it without hesitation.
post #114 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hear you. The K2 is a sealed amp, has no fan, draws only 12 watts when at idle. The K2 bridged, puts out 1600 watts at 8 ohms and 2400 watts at 4. You can get two of them for fun, and will have a huge amount of headroom and know you will never run out of power, test them out and more than likely resell them for the same money if you don't like them.
post #115 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM

You can't go wrong with a Crown, Crest, QSC, or Lab Gruppen. All of those companies make some great stuff.

Ignorance is a choice
post #116 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Man, it did not cost me that much at all. I don't know how much work was involved but I just had 4 more 20 amp circuits installed and it cost me about $500. I now have 5 20 amp circuits for my theater.

Did you have permits pulled? Was this a side job by a thoughtful buddy or a job completed by a union shop?

As I posted, the costs of any installation will be directly proportional to the amount of work completed as there's the cost of materials for four circuits and then there's prevailing labor costs, coupled with easy of access and local permit costs; hence the price range I posted.

FWIW, In the case of new electric circuits and any advice I might share, I want permits pulled; it's da law. In California, when it's time to sell the house, disclosure requirements require all work completed to be permitted or after the fact, permits will need to be pulled and a signed off inspection report on file before escrow can clear.

-
post #117 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Not to be too technical, but Pink Floyd is a group of artists...tongue.gif

I would take Beyonce, not that she'e the greatest singer in the world. But she could have other uses wink.gifbiggrin.gif.....
post #118 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

I would take Beyonce, not that she'e the greatest singer in the world. But she could have other uses wink.gifbiggrin.gif.....

Gathering wood. Hunting fish. Helping put up a shelter...... (Where's that whistling emoticon?)

tongue.gif
post #119 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
One more option to consider is an Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve 600R amp. They're on sale right now at $2,975 and put out a solid 300wpc into 8ohms and double down to 600wpc into 4 ohms. If I were buying another amp, that is what I would get right now. Heck, you could buy two and run them as monoblocks for under $6k and have 900wpc eek.gif

It got a great review in The Absolute Sound and you can download their buyer's guide which contains the review for free.

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-absolute-sound-guide-audio-electronics-2012

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #120 of 460 Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

3 living smile.gif and 1 dead frown.gif .
You are right.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Component Amplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page