Does the E56Ci Center Channel Speaker sound small on movie dialogue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 869
http://www.emptek.com/e56ci_bts.php

I'm curious about this center. I'm looking to get a wider center channel that matches my Wharfedale Sapphire SP89, because the Wharfedale centers all sound "small" on movie dialogue. (I've tried like four or five different Wharfedale center channel models -- all not nearly as good as the tower mains).

For reference most every center channel I've ever heard in home theater sounds 'small' including Def Tech, Salk, Wharfedale, Klipsch, etc etc etc. There are only three center channel speakers I've heard that don't sound small when you turn the volume up towards reference. Statement owned by Brausch, ED Cinema 12 owned by Carp, JTR Triple eight owned by Bluesprings1

Does anyone have any experience with this wide E56Ci center channel that can attest it doesn't sound 'small' as you approach reference volumes?

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR1007.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
good center channel speaker. Very clear and detailed. It does depend on the setting...when I have my set up set to wide, the center is de-emphisized. I actually prefer a setting where more of the content is going to my towers and less through the center.
But no, the E56ci speakers is not weak and holds its own very well!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The no risk trial is very nice, but I found this thread this morning and it doesn't inspire confidence.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/79078-hometheater-do-over-2.html

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guy didn't even break them in. And i don't he'll be happy with anything.

butter and jelly please.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I assume you are also considering the E55Ti speakers?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Elihawk,

not so much on replacing my mains, unless the center blows me away. I really like the Wharfedale Sapphire SP89 towers I have now.

If I decide to replace the mains it will be with something like the ED Cinema 12 or one of the JTR setups.

I have tried a triple 8 and a ED cinema 12 as a replacement center channel, and while they are much better speakers than my wharfedale center - they don't match the wharfedale tower sound, and the old addage of making sure your center channel matches your left and right is very applicable in these two demos.

My SP89s also use a softdome tweeter and have a similar sensitivity rating with the emptek so I'm wondering if the emptek and wharfedales would have a simlar sonic signature and the typical advice of matching the front three channels could be overlooked/ignored... If you guys think that's no good then I'll likely just skip this idea completely and look to update my entire front soundstage to a single type of speaker for LCR

I have tried four or five different model wharfedale centers and non of them stuck out from the mains...they all had similar sound despite being different lines
Modus, Valadus, Pacific, Sapphire, and one other I think. Despite sounding similar to the mains they exibit the "tiny" sound that I dislike when the volume goes up.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 08-13-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The no risk trial is very nice, but I found this thread this morning and it doesn't inspire confidence.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/79078-hometheater-do-over-2.html

That guy is an idiot. The EMP as well as the Aperion are nice speakers. The fact that he didn't like either set of speakers and favored his previous cheapo speaker makes me highly question his opinions. That, as well as what the other poster in that thread pointed out, you can't just plug in speakers and expect them to blow you away. You need to find the proper placement, set up your receiver properly and tweak a number of other things. Also, what was he listening to? He doesn't really even say. He basically, plugged in both sets of speakers, they didn't blow him away out of the box and he gave up. I'm currently running an E56 center and E55 towers and they sound great! I've had dozens of other speaker brands and the EMP sound just as good as the rest! I've ran Focal, Definitive, Polk, KEF and Klipsch. The EMP are no worse for the price than any of those brands.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.