Want to install outdoor speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone give me some input on putting together an outdoor speaker setup?

I have my home theater set up but I want to have music out on my patio. The problem is the Home theater is at the front of the house and the patio at the back. What options do i have for powering outdoor speakers and also controlling the audio via something like an android tablet over wifi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth1 View Post

Can anyone give me some input on putting together an outdoor speaker setup?
I have my home theater set up but I want to have music out on my patio. The problem is the Home theater is at the front of the house and the patio at the back. What options do i have for powering outdoor speakers and also controlling the audio via something like an android tablet over wifi?

You could get a small AVR that has Wifi capability. Some thing like the Marantz NR1603 or any Denon with Wifi and use Air Play. If you have any questions, shoot us an email.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ideally i'd like to purchase the least amount of new equipment possible. I currently have a yamaha HTR series AVR in the theater area. I was hoping i could somehow control my laptop that's connected to this with a tablet outside. Then it just comes down to providing power to the outdoor speakers and controlling the avr volume. If necessary i could look into selling the avr for a new one with airplay but would it work with an android tablet?

Also who offers good well priced outdoor speakers? Just looking for 2 to wall mount.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
With your current equipment, the only thing lacking is Receiver volume/input controls from the patio. IR components would solve that issue.The laptop would be controlled by an app on the tablet or netbook pc.

Upgrading to Yamaha's Aventage line would eliminate the need for IR equipment since all of the current models have the web control feature available for multi-zone use. However, then you'll need a network connection from Receiver to router (ethernet or wireless dongle). The Aventage RX-A720 would probably be comparable to your current Receiver and has the airplay feature, but airplay certainly isn't necessary. You could save a couple of hundred bucks and get the A710 instead.

I prefer using a netbook pc over tablet for my outdoor zone because I find it easier to handle, but either would work fine.

With outdoor speakers, there are a myriad of options. Most are very well built to withstand the elements. I bought pairs from Amazon and Crutchfield. Polk Audio Atriums, PSB CS1001, and the Axiom Algonquins. I don't recommend the Axiom product, but quite sure Polk's Atriums have something to suit your needs. They have a larger selection than any of the competition from what I've seen.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We use Control4 to control 11 zones 2 are front porch rock speakers and rear deck wall speakers. Use iPhone and iPad for control... We can stream Rhapsody and 240 Internet radio stations through C4.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Sorry to say, but Control 4 isn't relevent since the OP would have to buy a Receiver with the capability, then buy the Control 4 unit, and probably pay an installer. Definitely overkill for a simple setup.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM

That's what I thought when I bought my first controller. It all depends on what you want to do now and in the future...

Control4
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 PM

That's what we thought when we bought our first controller. It all depends on what he wants to accomplish now and in the future.

What receiver are you using my Pioneer elite controls my deck through channel B with iPad or iPhone. Our Denon 1611 controls front porch with channel B. its IR control. Again we stream Rhapsody and 240 Internet radio stations with Control4. We just keep adding on so that's the benefit you can add on if you want.

Control4
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM

When the future reveals itself, more listening zones are wanted, then MAYBE Control 4 is the solution. It can be added later. But at this juncture?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I ran speaker wire to my patio, connected to my receiver's Zone 2 output. I control it from either my iphone4 or my ipad. Works flawlessly over wifi. My receiver was a Yamaha RX-A1000 and now is an Onkyo 818. Both have the same capabilities. I must say the Yamaha's interface was a little easier to use for zone 2. The receivers have been hardwired on to the network, although a wifi dongle is available for either one. I recently moved my FIOS router from the basement to the first floor to reside near my AV equipment. I did this to get a stronger signal to my iphone while in the backyard so that STREAMING audio from itunes had less drop outs. Pandora was never an issue for some reason.

So you have options. The least expensive way is to get an older receiver that is network capable, download the free app for your phone, run some wires, and start enjoying music on your patio. I LOVE being able to control my music from my phone or ipad when I'm out there. Company is amazed at the sound and the fact that I control it from my phone. BTW, I have Emotiva UOM62. outdoor speakers which are fantastic for the price! My neighbor upgrade his new (less than 2 month old) Polk Atrium 5 to the same Emotivas once he heard mine!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page