I'm Married - Need help! lol - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I am married to a great wife who can appreciate home theater, she cares more about the way it looks than how it sounds. Since we hates the way rear speakers look hanging on walls, we made an agreement that I would look for in-walls for the surrounds.

The issue I have is that I'm trying to find a pair of in-wall speakers that will serve as surrounds but also match my front speakers. While I can jump to conclusions and order a PSB CW260 In-Wall Surround Speaker, I'd like to see if there are other options available that will also match my setup.

Fronts: PSB Image 5T (From year 2000)
Center: PSB Image 8C (From year 2000)
Sub: Velodyne (Unfortunately I can't remember the model)

Receiver: Denon AVR-4803ci

Any in-wall recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Brian

Post No Bills
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish368 View Post

While I am married to a great wife who can appreciate home theater, she cares more about the way it looks than how it sounds. Since we hates the way rear speakers look hanging on walls, we made an agreement that I would look for in-walls for the surrounds.

Brian

Have you installed the wires in the wall? Huge change in how the wife views the installation. Wireless, the speakers blend with the wall and the decor. With the wires, plates and connections showing, they come across as utilitarian or worse; low wife approval factor; WAF.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Unless you are really into multi-channel music then it is not extremely important for a timbre match between front 3 and rears.

To build on, and contradict what BeeMan said, you will want to run all of the wires in the wall. Be ready for dry-wall repairs as part of the install (i.e. budget for it).

Wireless speakers are not wireless - they just are wireless between the receiver and the wire. They still need to be wired from the radio receiver to the speaker, and the radio receiver needs power.

You can get standard speakers that go in-wall (Salk makes some). Triad makes tons of great in-wall (bigger budget though).

As you mentioned, PSB, also Paradigm and Kef.

Have you searched the forum for other inwall threads?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

To build on, and contradict what BeeMan said, you will want to run all of the wires in the wall. Be ready for dry-wall repairs as part of the install (i.e. budget for it).

What, miss a chance to contradict the BeeMan? tongue.gif No contradiction. FWIW, I ran my wires without any sheetrock damage and in most cases, everybody can do the same. As always, it depends on speaker placement such as over windows and doorways because of headers getting in the way. Pretty much, unless dealing with a concrete floor with no attic access, everything else can be done damage free. Think 1/2", 18" long drill bits that can be had for $50-$75. Wall openings next to the floor can be easily made for access to the floor plate for drilling purposes and covered again with a solid matching color cover plate to match your existing wall outlets (or painted to match wall color) for later access.

Wall top plates are easily accessible from the attic if one is dealing with concrete floors. A word to the wise, this day and age, eighteen inches of insulation is miserable stuff and moving it around messes with the R-rating (integrity) of the insulation moved. FYI, corded drills are better than battery operated drills, more torque for drilling old dried wood.

If need be, fishing walls can be done with standard electrician fishing lines, purposed to pull wire through conduit.

If in a convenient location, the removal and replacement of existing electric junction boxes, a huge pain, will alleviate the need to create additional access openings and gives one immediate access to the floor plate for the purpose of drilling an access opening to run the wire under the house. All easily doable if one is capable.

Hope the above gives folks some DIY ideas on putting wires in the wall.

-
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish368 View Post

The issue I have is that I'm trying to find a pair of in-wall speakers that will serve as surrounds but also match my front speakers. While I can jump to conclusions and order a PSB CW260 In-Wall Surround Speaker, I'd like to see if there are other options available that will also match my setup.
Fronts: PSB Image 5T (From year 2000)
Center: PSB Image 8C (From year 2000)
Sub: Velodyne (Unfortunately I can't remember the model)
Receiver: Denon AVR-4803ci
Any in-wall recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Brian

Budget?

Where will these be placed?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you look at the PSB CW363.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I think the PSB CW260 will be fine surround speakers.
Probably best if they are not going to be installed in an outside wall since you are in Long Island, NY.

Regards,
Charlie

post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 11
I would look into these ,The Drivers are very similar to your PSB's and they got the Box built in, Cause you got PSb up front you don't need same Brand in the Rears, even if you did there gonna be different cause of the Age Series of your Front 3, Therefore don't limit your self to one Brand, Get whats best for your situation/Sound/Budget http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-CP-In-Wall-Rectangular-Speaker-New-in-Box-cp-iw-cpiw-/160812563152?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item25712cfad0
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page