best 5.1 home theater system for around 1000$ ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for some decent home theater system for my plasma TV. I can spend a little over 1000$ but I would prefer to stay under 1000$ unless spending those extra dollars is really worth it as I would like to get the most value for the money.

I knew nothing about home theaters and after a few days of googling, everything just became more complex.

I live in Iceland so it really doesn´t matter from where i buy it since I will propably ship it from US or UK but it would be easier to buy from major sites like amazon or newegg.

From what I read the denon AVR-1613 is good for the money right? Now I have no idea what speakers to get, I read this review and that reviewer said the pioneer speakers are great value but that review is a year old and I have no idea if that is a good review site or not since I am pretty much completely new to this.

or should I just go with some complete package like this?

really I have no idea what to buy and I am in need of some good advice.

thanks in advance
Hjalti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Yes. Denon makes some nice receivers. You might also watch for specials on last year's models, the Denon 1612, 1712, or 1912. The closeout specials were earlier this summer, but perhaps one will pop up again when you are ready to order (Amazon is unpredictable like that).

Yes, those Pioneers are nice. The Polk Monitor series that Newegg carries is also a good choice.

Then a for a sub, do better than the Pioneer SW-8 because it's a small 8". The BIC F12 is an excellent entry level home theater subwoofer.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjalti8 View Post

really I have no idea what to buy and I am in need of some good advice.
thanks in advance
Hjalti

At your price point, as suggested Polk Audio has some reasonably priced speakers. Better pricing to be had on Amazon. If need be, to get higher quality speakers, go with the front three speakers and a sub. Later, add the surrounds and another sub.

It's expected you'll spend more than your stated budget but with online sites like accessories4less and the right choice in speakers such as you'll find with Polk Audio (or Pioneer), you should be able to find a 5.1 system to suit your listening needs.

In the case of speakers, it's always best to buy the best you can afford and then some as your listening experience will be rewarded for the extra monetary effort.

-
post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

Now I have no idea what speakers to get, I read this review and that reviewer said the pioneer speakers are great value but that review is a year old and I have no idea if that is a good review site or not since I am pretty much completely new to this.

Even though the Pioneer speakers are not terribly pleasing in the looks department, they have been getting quite positive reviews for their sound quality. They just came out with an updated version too, which can be found at this link (the new speakers are the first 4). They provide a lot of value for the money (well, except the sub, which is pretty generic it seems).

Quote:

or should I just go with some complete package like this?

Skip this, unless you like junk.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks a lot for your replies guys smile.gif

so it looks like the denon AVR-1613 is a solid buy, that makes 350$

2xPioneer SP-FS52 =260$
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR=130$
Pioneer SP-C22=100$
BIC America F12=200$

total= 1040$

Does that sound like a fine system???

and what about those SP-BS22-LR, are they good enough for rear speakers or should I buy the older SP-BS41-LR, they seem to cost the same.

I also noticed that the new pioneer center(SP-C22) seems to be less powerful than the older one (SP-C21). 90 W + 4"(x2)Woofers vs 130 W + 5 1/4”(x2)Woofers. Is that something to worry about or am I just nitpicking?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:

thanks a lot for your replies guys smile.gif
so it looks like the denon AVR-1613 Does that sound like a fine system???

For the price, it looks/sounds like a well thought out system. Worry about the extra speakers after you get the 5.1 system dialed in. Congratulations on your super shopping effort.

smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

Does that sound like a fine system???
and what about those SP-BS22-LR, are they good enough for rear speakers or should I buy the older SP-BS41-LR, they seem to cost the same.
I also noticed that the new pioneer center(SP-C22) seems to be less powerful than the older one (SP-C21). 90 W + 4"(x2)Woofers vs 130 W + 5 1/4”(x2)Woofers. Is that something to worry about or am I just nitpicking?

The BS22 will work as surrounds, and even as front channels with a subwoofer - it is a good speaker.

The new center will work and balance with the system - it is made to timbre (voice) match, the new
phase 2 Pioneer speakers.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 12
Do you need the networking features? Pandora radio? airplay? etc...

If not I urge you to look into last years 1712. It has better self calibration audyssey xt. more power and built in 7.1 and if you only have 5.1 the ability to assign those extra amps to which ever channels you see fit.

I just bought a 1612 and wish I had gotten the 1712 now... also acessories4less has it for 239 so there are some cost savings as well. IDK if buying refurbished is ok with you or no.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page