AVR, R/L/C, and sub under $800??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I've been reading and researching through this forum (and one other which I might post the same question in as well) for some time now and have learned a lot. Thank you everyone for taking the time to allow all to learn from your experience.

With that said it's difficult to piece it all together to fit into specific needs. Please critique and recommend changes to my noob set up. The room size is what is making me unsure of what to choose.

I am tired of my ears bleeding from the htib that I have now, so I am looking to assemble my first real set up while still being budget minded. Would like to keep it under $800.

The room: 30x16 with vaulted ceilings
Seating is 16-17 ft from tv

I would like to stick with bookshelf over floor if possible in this size room. The house already has some Boston Acous in the ceiling for the rear.

I was looking at the following set up:
Denon AVR 2112ci refurb for $350 (380 w shipping/tax) because of network and multi EQ XT.
Center: Polk CS2 refurb $125
R/L: Polk Monitor 40s refurb $133

That leaves me with around $150 for sub....... Which one?
Should I lower to a 1912 or 1712 and spend more on speakers?

50/50 movies to music. I don't blast it and don't need BIG sound. Just crisp clear quality sound. I like what I hear about the Energy's, I just don't know if they fit in the budget. And have read good things about Dayton as well.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
That is a massive room. I would put more budget towards speakers than the receiver. IMO you would need a very large sub for that room.

Are you planning on upgrading with time or do you want something that will last you years?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
This Polk 505 sub is on sale right now for $199 today but man this is a huge room. you might need two or just a bigger higher quality subwoofer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

i guess you could start with one sub and if you need more bass buy a second one.

Afro GT
post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
16-17 ft from your TV...to be that far away from my TV, I would have to be in my garage! You got a big room!
And you can get NEW Polk M40s with free shipping from New Egg, now till 8/20, for $129.00...but as other mentioned, that is a lot of cubic foot for budget bookshelf speakers to fill. however, for the money...these might be the best you can do. Another option..Infinity Primus P163BK about 85 per speaker or so (and apparently cheaper if you have a "Fry's" nearby)!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshots View Post

I appreciate any feedback, thanks for taking the time to read this!

Seriously, and I know you've thought of this, move the main seating area closer; maybe twelve feet from the mains. At sixteen feet, sound has a way of, figuratively speaking, disappearing.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU all for the response so far!

Yeah the room is big. It's a living room that opens to the dining room. So, the living room basically ends where the seating is (about 18 ft from the tv) then directly into the dining room.

WagBoss I am not planning on upgrading anytime soon but I know that once I hear the improvements i'm gonna want more. For now though this has to be it.
Afrogt thanks for the Polk SW info. Any idea on how this compares to the Energy or Dayton SWs.
Elihawk thanks for the NewEgg info, I'll also check into the Primus'.
BeeMan I like the way you think biggrin.gif the easiest option usually gets overlooked. I did think of that but then the seating area would be blocking the fire place.

Thanks again guys and keep it coming.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:

BeeMan I like the way you think biggrin.gif the easiest option usually gets overlooked. I did think of that but then the seating area would be blocking the fire place.

Our living room too has an issue with a side entrance into the kitchen area and a fireplace at the end of the room. Due to both, we've got a seating/speaker location problem. I fooled everybody and set the speaker seating area at a bit of a diagonal. The entertainment credenza is square to the wall but the speakers and television (on a pivot stand) are skewed about thirty degrees off center. The main speakers are also pulled out and pivoted to the central listening position and too are off axis to the entertainment credenza's center. The surrounds are also rotated about on the wall and have been placed on two walls as the rotated symmetry focuses the listening position into a corner, with kitchen pass through window skewing surround placement. The wife approval factor (WAF) requires all speaker/furniture placement to have the look feel of a "NORMAL" speakerless living room. eek.gif

Depending on your room/furniture layout, one can do what I suggest to maintain some sort of asymmetrical symmetry of room to furniture, to speakers, to listening position so doorways and fireplace features are reduced as a speaker/listening position impediment.

In other words, move the furniture to suit the fireplace/kitchen/listening position layout. The thought of your ears continuing to bleed the way they are is just more than any aficionado can bare. tongue.gif

Now that speakers, subs and surrounds are placed/hung, pictures and wall hangings will be added with the intent to compliment the speakers and television; decorating around the the home theater system. The idea is for the speakers and television to blend with the room and not stand out as a second thought, home theater system. High WAF. biggrin.gif

-
post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

WOW I thought I was putting in extra work..... BeeMan I hope you aren't wasting all that creative genius on HT only tongue.gif I'll look into different arrangements but with the rears already in the celing I might be kinda stuck.

The following thread sounds like it's along the same lines as my issue. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1424791/need-a-new-sub-and-maybe-new-speakers#post_22310867 What are the thoughts on the pioneer SP-BS22-LR, Pioneer SP-C22, and either psw505 or pio SW8 mentioned in that thread.

edit: BS21 to BS22, C21 to C22
The BS22's are also on sale for $89.98 at BB
post #9 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
all i can say is "WOW". trying to fill that room with that budget is going to be very difficult especially with a sub don't think one sub is going to do it. your looking at over 5000sq. ft and sitting so far back don't help much the only suggestion "i" can even give would to down grade to a budget avr like the denon avr 1312 $120 accessories4less. (you can always upgrade later). a pair of boston acoustics a250 towers $240( only stipulation is that they are gloss white with black grilles) the B.A. a225c center $100(white gloss) and a premeir acoustics pa150 sub $425 at acoustic sound design can get cheaper usually just under $400 if you make an offer on the website maybe a little over budget but imo its the only suggestion "i" have that will put some sound in the room, without going for a 2.0 system and slowly building on

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #10 of 12 Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:

...but with the rears already in the celing I might be kinda stuck.

It's simple, pull the speakers and repair the ceiling. You'll be glad you took a couple steps backwards and then started moving forward again. cool.gif

It never hurts to say, oops, that didn't work and try something else. But it does hurt letting an oops stop you from achieving what you want, a happy wife. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thinking that I narrowed it down.....

I'm going to try to fill this cavernous room the best I can, so was thinking of going to the floor standers instead of bookshelf. Everything I have read about these Pioneer SP FS52's has been great "for the price". The pair http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&type=page&initialize=false&sp=&nrp=46&iht=n&list=n&sc=Global&st=pioneer+speakers&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&cp=1&qp=&_requestid=39611 hope I linked that correctly confused.gif will run $250 at BB where I have some gift cards that will cover the pair, so that helps the budget. For the center sticking with Pioneer in the SP C22 at BB for $80. As for the sub this deal sounds too good to pass up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081712&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081712-_-EMC-081712-Latest-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82780078-L0C Klipsch Reference RW 12D for $300. Along with a Denon 1712 or 2112ci.

Will all of this play nice together? Best bang for the buck?

Also could someone point in the direction of a "wiring education" what gauge, banana plugs, etc Its all new to me.

Thanks everyone, I can already feel my ears healing.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-26-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would update the thread with what I ended up getting. I got a Yamaha RX-A1010 from BB on an open box deal and talked them down to $450 which I couldn't pass up. So far the Yamaha is awesome! I went ahead with the Pioneer Sp FS52's and Sp C22 Center with the Klipsch RW 12D. A total that was over my budget but those BB GC's came in handy. Also, I received the Vizio Co Star the same day. The Co Star is great for being a new device and I can see it having a very promising future.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page