Building basement theater, need help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, this forum has a plethora of information. I have just about driven myself crazy looking at all this information, and I love it!! So I thought I would let the collective audio genius' on here, help me out.

I am building my basement theater right now, it is not going to be very big (18 ft. X 12 ft 5 inches with 8 ft. 3 inch ceiling height), and need some advice on speakers and receiver etc...

I have exhausted myself looking at budget speaker systems etc, and I keep seeing few recurring speakers that look like a good deal. Since I am finishing my entire basement at the same time, I don't have a lot to spend on speakers etc, so keep that in mind.

1. I have seen a TON of good reviews on the Pioneer Sp-bs21-lr speakers. Would I be dumb to use 2 for fronts and 2 for surround? (combined of course with a sub and a different center channel). It seems like most people I see either step up the 2 fronts to the Sp-bs41's, or do some sort of tower... but that might be out of my budget. Would this be a horrible option that I would regret running 4 of these for all of my speakers except my center channel?

2. What is the difference between the Pioneer sp-bs21-lr and the sp-bs22-lr? Are the bs22's simply the updated version, and are they as good as the bs21's that got all the amazing reviews?

3. I've heard nothing but good things about the Energy Take Classic's as well. Would these work for my relatively small theater, or is my room too large for these?

4. Any other suggestions in this price range? I also need receiver suggestions as well, but I guess I should post that in the proper forum section for that topic.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long first post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 2252
what is your budget? will this include an avr, speakers and sub and is this strictly for tv/movies,or music and or gaming also

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

what is your budget? will this include an avr, speakers and sub and is this strictly for tv/movies,or music and or gaming also

Total budget for avr (is this a receiver? Again, I'm new, sorry!), speakers and sub is around 700 or so. This will be MAINLY for hd tv/movies but will definitely mix some Xbox gaming and music in as well. I'm by no means an audiophile, but do love good sound as much as the next guy. (I love the Bose lifestyle systems, which apparently is a no-no
Around here... Haha!)

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
That's a tough budget for a HT setup since a receiver and sub each would run you a couple of hundred dollars or more a piece. With that budget, I'd go with the Denon 1612 receiver. Then the new Pioneer SP-FS52s for the front, SP-BS22-LR for the rear, and the SP-C22. BestBuy has the rears and center on sale right now, so good time to buy. These will be much better than getting small satellite speaker packages. Then add a sub like the BIC F12 or Energy S10.3 later on (stay away from the small 8" Pioneer sub).
NealAtTheWheel likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

That's a tough budget for a HT setup since a receiver and sub each would run you a couple of hundred dollars or more a piece. With that budget, I'd go with the Denon 1612 receiver. Then the new Pioneer SP-FS52s for the front, SP-BS22-LR for the rear, and the SP-C22. BestBuy has the rears and center on sale right now, so good time to buy. These will be much better than getting small satellite speaker packages. Then add a sub like the BIC F12 or Energy S10.3 later on (stay away from the small 8" Pioneer sub).

That receiver looks awesome, looks like it'll do everything I need it to.

So you think it'll be enough wattage to push the two front FS52's, and they would be much better than using the BS22's for the the fronts and rears at this wattage?

Basically, I'm asking, will I hear a difference in the FS52's in front vs. the BS22's using this receiver.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page