Help me upgrade my setup (low budget) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I am using set of jamo s426 hcs3 connect through the receiver from the onkyo ht r340 home theater package (more detail about it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258459)

I am also using the bass in the package in my current set up. I have around $200 cash lying around and want to upgrade but I am not sure what should i upgrade first.

I also have a spare receiver, pioneer sx - 217 and bass from another home theater package and I wanna to use them to put together a decent set up for my folk. I am looking for a pair of speaker (either floor standing speaker or bookshelf) around $300 strictly for listening to music.

I know the budget isnt that great and I am not looking for the greatest. I just want to get the best equipment for the buck. Any help or suggestion would be great. I live in the US btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Maybe a subwoofer like the Polk PSW505 would be something to consider.

You may have a hard time upgrading from the Jamo front speakers to something much better for under $300.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Energy RC-10s are a great deal for a set of bookshelves for a 2 channel setup.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Look at the Energy S10.3 subwoofer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

Then save some more money.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion. The polk one seem pretty good according to the reviews. Any other suggestion for speaker?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinphan View Post

Right now I am using set of jamo s426 hcs3 connect through the receiver from the onkyo ht r340 home theater package (more detail about it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258459)

I am also using the bass in the package in my current set up. I have around $200 cash lying around and want to upgrade but I am not sure what should i upgrade first.

I also have a spare receiver, pioneer sx - 217 and bass from another home theater package and I wanna to use them to put together a decent set up for my folk. I am looking for a pair of speaker (either floor standing speaker or bookshelf) around $300 strictly for listening to music.

I know the budget isnt that great and I am not looking for the greatest. I just want to get the best equipment for the buck. Any help or suggestion would be great. I live in the US btw

I just upgraded my Onkyo HT-S5400 HTiB speakers with the Bic Venturi DV64 towers for mains. Great sounding speakers. I'm very impressed. Incredible range for those size drivers. I actually enjoyed my Bass Mechanik CD listening to the mains only, with the rest of my 7.1 setup off, including sub.

You can still find them for about $115 per tower. Check the reviews at Amazon, they are pretty positive. I'm hearing things with these speakers (I also upgraded the Onkyo factory center channel to the BIC Venturi 62CLRS) that I've never heard before, like the sound of a violinists hand moving along the strings and the breath of the flutist as they play...also watched some 7.1 DTS HD Master Blu Rays and they sound so much better now.

I think for your price range you can't beat the DV64s (plus, with the 2 passive drivers it looks like you have four woofers with the grill off, which is cool).

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 971
fwiw, the rc-10's mentioned above are a great deal. another suggestion if looking for a great deal on some towers are the boston acoustics a250's at accessories4less $300 for a pair. then i would look into a good sub

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked: 801
Check around and you'll find lots of deals; bang for the buck in your price range.

Here's a pair of Pioneers, dying for a loving audio home.

At your price point, for music, bookshelf speakers will give you the best bang-for-buck sound quality as you're paying for the speaker itself, not the construction and material required for the tower construction. The down side of bookshelf speakers is, now you'll need a shelf or stands to place the bookshelf speakers on.

A beautiful set of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers in your price range.
And then, still within your $300.00 price point, maybe a step up in the same Polk Audio bookshelf speaker line,
Now you'll need a subwoofer to compliment these beauties. eek.gif It never stops. cool.gif

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

-
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page