Are the majority of Speaker Sales about to go online? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I have been thinking about this for quite some time and realized that most of the people on one of the Owners Threads in which I participate seem to be be looking for online opinions and then ordering without auditioning. Of course, I would highly recommend anything that I mention but...cool.gif

What do y'all think or what has been your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you may be on to something there... Magnepan does a lot of direct and the have a "Dealer-Direct" program now that allows you to audition at a dealer and Maggie will drop-ship. If a dealer is not logistically possible to get to, they will ship the speaker.

http://www.magnepan.com/dealer_direct

Many manufacturers are looking at or doing similar things. I do believe that this type of selling is going to have at least one positive and that is for manufacturers to be successful doing things this way, their reputations will need to be STELLAR or they will die quickly. Quality will need to go up, customer service will be paramount and the customer will spend a hell of a lot more time on forums such as this asking questions of us that used to be answered by sales people. The "fan base" will be the ones selling the product instead of the retailer.

Mangepan's fan base for example, has been integral to the success of their brand, and Magnepan has returned this love by continuing to support every model of speaker they have ever produced at modest cost. My MG-20's were in need of repair and they were glad to do so. Even when I decided to fix them myself, their engineering team was fully supportive even thought they lost money by doing so. Polk Audio also has that level of commitment to their products. That is the kind of service every company will need to provide if they expect to thrive by doing business on the web.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshinjohn View Post

.... Magnepan does a lot of direct and the have a "Dealer-Direct" program now that allows you to audition at a dealer and Maggie will drop-ship. If a dealer is not logistically possible to get to, they will ship the speaker.

I am curious if there is a big difference in MSRP vs what folks are getting Magnepan online for? I really can't imagine a person not going online to price-shop even if they purchase locally.

I also agree that the speaker company's reputation will be paramount, but the flip-side is if folks aren't comparing different brands and/or speakers some companies will rely on past Fan base and hire" fanboys" to go on the web to boost positive hits on any particular speaker googled.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tell you something that is also interesting is that I've seen Klipsch banner ads on a site or two that I frequent (non-audio related) letting me know I can purchase them online and I'm curious if Klipsch is responsible for that or an on-line vendor. confused.gif

Does anyone else get those from companies of speakers they own? How about different ones?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
hiya Zen,

those ads are there because you've searched for Klipsch through Google, or something similar... it's just ads based on what you've searched for, with a sprinkling of paid sponsorship , to show up on your screen. If you did a search for tents, then random camping suppliers would show up. Say hello to the imformation age. eek.gif

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I am curious if there is a big difference in MSRP vs what folks are getting Magnepan online for? I really can't imagine a person not going online to price-shop even if they purchase locally.
I also agree that the speaker company's reputation will be paramount, but the flip-side is if folks aren't comparing different brands and/or speakers some companies will rely on past Fan base and hire" fanboys" to go on the web to boost positive hits on any particular speaker googled.

I agree their reputations and product quality will be integral. I do not think the "fanboy" strategy as you put it will carry any weight, however. One thing I have noticed about online forums and social networks and www information in general, is that it is becoming self correcting. It goes against what I used to think and that was the old "don't believe everything you read on the internet". Obviously this is still true to a point. But, if a company's quality is slipping, it takes very litte time to show up on the forums. For every fanboy, there will be ten people providing negative feedback on a low quality product. Another example is social networks, someone says there is an accident at a certain intersection, but they typed it wrong. There will be plenty of people to correct them on the correct intersection. This is just an example I made up of course, but it is amazing to me how online information has the ability to self-correct itself. Just my thoughts.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page