Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

And if you want a lot of tweeters, look into Rick Craig's CBT Line Arrays. Now there's a hell of a speaker.

That's debatable. biggrin.gif Great post, by the way (the entire thing); you nailed it.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The thing is, one can arm-chair quarterback the Tekton speakers all one wants by looking at the design and photos and then surmise how they might sound. But, at the end of the day, that is no substitute for actually listening to speakers, any speaker, in one's own room with one's own equipment.

By my count, there are 10 reviews online - all, all, all, of them effusive. All they all in the tank for Tekton? (Remember, Tekton does not advertise so there goes that straw man). Are all these reviewers not to be trusted? Then again, you don't need to take the reviewers' words for it: There are a number of user reviews scattered across any number of online forums. Most of those are postive. So -- are they all fanboys? Or maybe, just maybe, Eric has hit on something that appeals to a number of people.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post

The thing is, one can arm-chair quarterback the Tekton speakers all one wants by looking at the design and photos and then surmise how they might sound. But, at the end of the day, that is no substitute for actually listening to speakers, any speaker, in one's own room with one's own equipment.
By my count, there are 10 reviews online - all, all, all, of them effusive. All they all in the tank for Tekton? (Remember, Tekton does not advertise so there goes that straw man). Are all these reviewers not to be trusted? Then again, you don't need to take the reviewers' words for it: There are a number of user reviews scattered across any number of online forums. Most of those are postive. So -- are they all fanboys? Or maybe, just maybe, Eric has hit on something that appeals to a number of people.

Are there any reviews that include A/B, real-time comparisons with other brands/models? I'd be interested more in reading those than any stand-alone personal opinions. I'd appreciate a link if you have one. Comparisons of sound output from two or more models provides a bit more objective framework for understanding the actual texture of a speaker's presentation.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post

Sure. How many can you audition when you have to incur ancillary expenses?
Quote:
By my count, there are 10 reviews online - all, all, all, of them effusive. All they all in the tank for Tekton?
They did a nice job of carpet bombing the internet with their brand. There's a cottage industry of review sites. It's like the military industrial complex. Their purpose is not only to make money which they do by writing effusive reviews but to do so in a manner that attracts other companies looking for a plug. They churn the market by making readers start to wonder about what it is they own. It's hard to tell if they're reviewing the product or albums because they tend to be so cookie cutter in nature. They don't dig or ask probing questions after all they're what passes for journalists today.
Quote:
(Remember, Tekton does not advertise so there goes that straw man).
but they can use it to attract other advertisers. Also if you want to link to that review there are fees associated. There's also industry comps that can be taken advantage of. Let's not make them out what they aren't.
Quote:
Are all these reviewers not to be trusted?
IMO, one needs to become familiar with a reviewer to see if their experiences jives with yours. That means reading their body of work and comparing it to your own personal experiences. A healthy dose of skepticism doesn't hurt.
Quote:
Then again, you don't need to take the reviewers' words for it: There are a number of user reviews scattered across any number of online forums. Most of those are postive. So -- are they all fanboys? Or maybe, just maybe, Eric has hit on something that appeals to a number of people.
Like it's so hard to find a few people who like something with the Internet?
cschang and BarracudaDelGato like this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

I think a lot of people think that buying id saves them money and gives them a better product cause they cut out the middle man but this just isn't true. See the big boys like paradigm, B&W and such mass produce making it cheaper to build as they build a ton of them and sell them to 1000's of retailers around the world to id companies that don't have that retail out let support and there limits what they can produce and then cost more to make but less mark up due to no retailer, in the end I think it all evens out.
I would LOVE to here Salks but man it's tough to give up $5000+ for speakers that I can't see or hear before buying then I go downtown and can see, hear and touch speakers like paradigms which sound amazing, but won't lie those Salk songtower supercharge might have me taking that big risk as I love their custom look and slimmer design over e songtowers. Also, the reviews I'm reading on the Tekon seem too good to be true but the problem is its not easy for average joe to hear these speakers risk free and it's hard to tell if the reviewer had a nice check when they received the speakers to review or that some of the people on here raving about them aren't employes pumping their tires. I do think Salks are the real deal though, not sure about Tekons tbh.

I had a hard time too taking this risk, but I did it and I'm better off because of it. I worked in retail for a good while, and sold B&W, Dynaudio, DefTech, Macintosh, and a few others brands of speakers and the B&W 703's were my dream purchase that I never ended up with. Fast forward 4 years, and I was ready to buy some speakers. Well, if I'd really had my way, the B&W Nautilus 802's (before the 802D's came out) at $8,000 per pair were my "end all be all" but way out of the price range I'd ever spend on speakers. I began searching ID brands just to be sure B&W 703's were what I wanted. The more I read about Salk, the more intrigued I became. I spoke with Jim Salk on the phone and traded some emails, and he's just a great guy who's honest about his product. Luckily it's one of the best out there. I bought a pair of SongTowers, SongCenter and SongSurround I's and for far less than the price of B&W 703's (with matching center and surrounds) I had speakers that (for me) bested them in every single category.

In fact, my SongTowers bested the B&W Nautilus 802's in every category except deep bass extension, and probably a bit of soundstage width. Aside from that, they're amazing speakers that compete WELL above their pricepoint. I sort of feel like I've got 85-90% of a B&W 802 speaker, for what is today, 1/6 the price because 802D's are $12,000/pair.

In any case, it's disappointing to hear some people have been burned on the ID thing, but Salk are the real deal.

Cheers,
Chad
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

IMO, one needs to become familiar with a reviewer to see if their experiences jives with yours. That means reading their body of work and comparing it to your own personal experiences. A healthy dose of skepticism doesn't hurt
This is a very key point, IMO.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

IMO, one needs to become familiar with a reviewer to see if their experiences jives with yours. That means reading their body of work and comparing it to your own personal experiences. A healthy dose of skepticism doesn't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

This is a very key point, IMO.

Actually I am glad you guys brought this up. Last night, I was thinking about this and figured I should have mentioned that in the case of one reviewer, I have heard maybe 5 or 6 speakers he has reviewed and while I can't say that my impressions were exactly like his, they were close enough for me to get the sense that we at least like or dislike similar things. So, I tend to trust his reviews, at least when it comes to speakers. And I agree with both of you that it is not much use to just take the word of any reviewer without being able to compare his or her experience to your own.

Quote:

There's a cottage industry of review sites. It's like the military industrial complex. Their purpose is not only to make money which they do by writing effusive reviews but to do so in a manner that attracts other companies looking for a plug. They churn the market by making readers start to wonder about what it is they own. It's hard to tell if they're reviewing the product or albums because they tend to be so cookie cutter in nature.

Maybe. You probably know better than me. I will say that one web site I read does make specific recommendations in its reviews. I appreciate that. I will also note that it has panned several products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Are there any reviews that include A/B, real-time comparisons with other brands/models? I'd be interested more in reading those than any stand-alone personal opinions. I'd appreciate a link if you have one. Comparisons of sound output from two or more models provides a bit more objective framework for understanding the actual texture of a speaker's presentation.

So few reviewers, in my experience, do this. Sometimes you will read of an A/B in Stereophile, and Srajan pretty consistently does this. Other reviewers may do this from time-to-time, but generally, you will read that the system under review has simply taken place of the reviewer's reference system. I could point you to a long-ish thread of on AudiogoN (hope that is permitted) where ZU and Tekton are compared.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i think i posted that earliar in this thread, until everyone is able to hear it peple will be unsure. I am waitin for permission to post someones comments and his feed back on his upgraded pendragons

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Wow,

I step away for a few weeks and the thread is stocked full of great information. biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the great information from everyone that posted. A special shout out to Andrew Robinson for coming on the boards. Thanks my friend. This has got to be one of the best threads I've read in a long time. smile.gif

For my needs, I'm looking for speakers for my combined HT and stereo use. I would guess 50/50 HT / Stereo. I would like at least a 5.2 setup and a 7.2 if my budget allows. I've been eyeing a complete Salk system. Anyone know if Tekton makes matching center and surround speakers? How is the voice detail for HT use?

Big thanks,

Legends
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post

Wow,
I step away for a few weeks and the thread is stocked full of great information. biggrin.gif
Thanks for all the great information from everyone that posted. A special shout out to Andrew Robinson for coming on the boards. Thanks my friend. This has got to be one of the best threads I've read in a long time. smile.gif
For my needs, I'm looking for speakers for my combined HT and stereo use. I would guess 50/50 HT / Stereo. I would like at least a 5.2 setup and a 7.2 if my budget allows. I've been eyeing a complete Salk system. Anyone know if Tekton makes matching center and surround speakers? How is the voice detail for HT use?
Big thanks,
Legends

the do now heres a look DSC_0404.jpg 93k .jpg file Pendragon%20Center%20(2).jpg 63k .jpg file

$800 for the centre channel & $800 for surrounds i think that is what he said....there is another thread that goes in more detail on the pendragons here it is below enjoy the debate

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/81002-tekton-next-big-thing.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pendragon%20Center%20(2).jpg (63.1 KB, 74 views)

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Sadly I am in the market for new floors as one of my old B&Ws blew last weekend. I have spent the last couple of days reading through hundreds of forum messages across half a dozen threads to the point my eyes are getting bloodshot. I am leaning towards the Seas Pens without the cap upgrade but like a number of members here share some of the concerns regarding the company (however, responsiveness from Eric is not one of them as he has been terrific with me so far). So, for those of you that are not a fanboy of Tekton, can you give me a better recommendation for a versatile (mixed HT & Music), full range speaker priced in the $2-3K range that will work in a room roughly 25 ft cubed, positioned roughly 15 feet in front of the audience when we care about sound quality, and will happily work with my Denon 5800 today plus future upgrades to the receiver amp. I have a SVS subwoofer that I bought almost 10 years ago but I would not recommend it to anyone today that would complete the setup. The center is a B&W that will probably get replaced with a matching speaker from whomever I purchase whenever I get the budget.

I appreciate the advise and will return the favor with a detailed review with whatever I purchase.

- Chris
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Poer View Post

Sadly I am in the market for new floors as one of my old B&Ws blew last weekend. I have spent the last couple of days reading through hundreds of forum messages across half a dozen threads to the point my eyes are getting bloodshot. I am leaning towards the Seas Pens without the cap upgrade but like a number of members here share some of the concerns regarding the company (however, responsiveness from Eric is not one of them as he has been terrific with me so far). So, for those of you that are not a fanboy of Tekton, can you give me a better recommendation for a versatile (mixed HT & Music), full range speaker priced in the $2-3K range that will work in a room roughly 25 ft cubed, positioned roughly 15 feet in front of the audience when we care about sound quality, and will happily work with my Denon 5800 today plus future upgrades to the receiver amp. I have a SVS subwoofer that I bought almost 10 years ago but I would not recommend it to anyone today that would complete the setup. The center is a B&W that will probably get replaced with a matching speaker from whomever I purchase whenever I get the budget.
I appreciate the advise and will return the favor with a detailed review with whatever I purchase.
- Chris

I started a thread with a similar dilemma. Maybe it will help you out

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437010/2-000-3-000-tower-speaker-comparison-need-help-picking-the-contenders-for-a-shootout#post_22549921

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Only thing I can help with is that it will be a long wait once you have placed your order with Tekton. I was originally quoted 3-4 weeks. We are at 8 weeks now and counting. To be fair I did change the cross-over to the silver oil caps but I can't see how much longer this would have delayed manufacturing.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM

I am on my second day just waiting on a price for Pens with shipping and tax. Not a good sign.
CP
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Pendragons on their way. I can give some feed back once they arrive and are in my system.
willswing likes this.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks Daxriggs
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM

Just arrived, Tekton Pendragons. They are pretty large. That's my 182 lbs boerboel in the back ground checking for any intruders smile.gif I'll have to wait till I get back from a bussiness trip to play with them. Centre on it's way.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Hey guys, just some quick impressions about the Pendragon speakers. I quickly hooked them up last night, levelled sonically and threw on some music. I ran them as 2 channel stereo, set them as large and unselected my sub. Holy cow, the bass on these is phenomenal. I threw on ‘bass I love you’ just to see what these puppies can do. I had to check twice that my SubM was not running.
Horizontal sound stage is terrific. I can see how comparisons to line array speakers come into play here. I don’t think these image as well as the 3.7 maggies I have listened to but then again these will spank the maggies in the low end department. I think these are going to be fantastic all round speakers. Still need the centre to see how they will shine with some movies. Andrew Robinson’s impressions are really not far off the mark.
I have some more senior avs members that live near me and some that I met at some gtg’s here in LA. I will invite them around to audition when everything has arrived and is in place. That way we can get different opinions. Here’s a pic of my current set up.
I put my old Ed 8.3t in for size comparisons.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Congrats, I'd love to hear them as well as your Submersive again. That dog is MASSIVE eek.gif .

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Congrats, I'd love to hear them as well as your Submersive again. That dog is MASSIVE eek.gif .

Sure, let me just finish off the system, I’m waiting for the tekton centre and another SubM. I was actually thinking of doing something with Edoggrc51, he’s waiting for his new centre as well. Should be interesting to listen to 2 rather different setups in the same day. Eric lives about a mile from me. I’ll speak with him and if he agrees, then we can set it up and take some invites. Don't worry about the doggie, in the 4 years I've had him we have had only 3 vistors go missing tongue.gif

Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post

Sure, let me just finish off the system, I’m waiting for the tekton centre and another SubM. I was actually thinking of doing something with Edoggrc51, he’s waiting for his new centre as well. Should be interesting to listen to 2 rather different setups in the same day. Eric lives about a mile from me. I’ll speak with him and if he agrees, then we can set it up and take some invites. Don't worry about the doggie, in the 4 years I've had him we have had only 3 vistors go missing tongue.gif

Sounds good. I think Eric will be at the Dark Knight Rises GTG next weekend so I'll mention something to him.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM

I see the Pendragons picked up the "Home Theater Review's Best of 2012 Awards".

Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Someone should create an official Tekton speakers thread, or maybe the OP could request to have the title of this thread changed to "Official Tekton Speaker Thread." After all, this thread has gotten the most attention of all the other Tekton speakers threads.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Hi I live in New Orleans and would like to audition your pendragons. sometime daxriggs.

Michael