Salk vs Tekton Pendragon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 114 Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone got to compare these speakers? What did you think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Impressive stats I must say and great review. Thanks for adding even more confusion in to making a decision :-)

Tim in Houston
Anthem D2v(update installed), Parsound Halo A51 5 Ch Amp, DirecTV DVR(3d), LG BDP, Onkyo CD Player, Music Hall MMF 5.1 Turntable, Cambridge Audio phone pre-amp, Knoll 50 Amp whole house distribution amp, Paradigm Studio 100's, Paradigm ADP 690 Center, Paradigm Millenia Rear,...
post #3 of 114 Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
According to the review the pendragons are one of the best out there with B&W 800 Diamond, Wilson Audio, focal etc...

Here is the lates review on Tekton SPeaker its for their Pendragons, i was floored by this review espicially since i was looking at paradigms sig8, B&W 802D, monitor audio platinum line to name a few, i am inquiring about prices and finishes right now i need to hear these.

The price point is crazy and now they have a centre, srrounds and subwoofer its worth checking out, i know i am.

http://tektondesign.com/ website for th ependragons

the review that will make you go hmmmmm

http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-pendragon-floorstanding-loudspeaker-reviewed/

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #4 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

According to the review the pendragons are one of the best out there with B&W 800 Diamond, Wilson Audio, focal etc...
Here is the lates review on Tekton SPeaker its for their Pendragons, i was floored by this review espicially since i was looking at paradigms sig8, B&W 802D, monitor audio platinum line to name a few, i am inquiring about prices and finishes right now i need to hear these.
The price point is crazy and now they have a centre, srrounds and subwoofer its worth checking out, i know i am.
http://tektondesign.com/ website for th ependragons
the review that will make you go hmmmmm
http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-pendragon-floorstanding-loudspeaker-reviewed/

love them just not sure if i wanna jump into another ID company kinda lost my trust in them plus theres not much on these speakers.. i havent seen anyone who owns them yet. can they really be as good as those speaker in the review that he compared them too??? hoping to hear someone that has them can jump in here.
post #5 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've heard almost every speaker Salk makes, and they compare very well to the brick and mortar stuff. In fact, I'd take the SoundScape 8's over the Revel Salon2's, Dynaudio C4 Mark II's and Kef 207/2's. They really are that good. B&W and Wilson isn't in the same league IMO, but YMMV.

With that said, audio is highly subjective, so one man's treasure may be another's trash. Can you make the trip to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this year? If so you'll be able to hear the Salk's, perhaps the Tekton's and every other speaker you're probably considering.

By the way, what is your budget, and will you be using these for music, HT or both?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
$2,500 for a pair of speakers that use 2 10's and 3 sets of what looks to be Vifa XT25's!!

umm.....

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #7 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I love my Salk SongTowers. Don't know much of anything about these Tektons, but they sure aren't pretty to look at.

I know, I know. Speakers are meant to be seen and not heard. If we're comparing $2,000 SongTowers and $2,500 Tekton Pendragons though, the SongTowers are $500 cheaper, and look WAY better. It would all be a matter of how they sound for sure. In any case, do they publish the specs of their speakers anywhere? I couldn't find them on their site.
post #8 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM

I am also in the same boat. I have always had my eyes on the Salk Songtower (the standard version) but the Tekton Pendragon review on hometheatereview website completely changed the equation. There is another great review on part time audiophile or some thing like that.
Anyways, to make it even more confusing I recently heard about the CLassico 4 series by Anthony Gallo. They are shipping it direct, 60 day trial with free return shipping and have reduced the price by $1000. Absolute Sound has great reviews on Classico 3 and home theater hifi has a great review on the 4. The free return shipping and the fact that the speakers weight only 35 lbs each also makes oredering them a no brainer.

Living RoomSqueezebox Touch+ Cambridge Audio 504D --> Cambridge Audio 840a --> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
Office - Sonos ZP90 -> Audioengine A5+
post #9 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 AM

I would investigate how these speakers would interact with your type of room. That type of shift in mindset revolutionized how I view speaker buying. I spent good money seeking the best drivers possible, when really a less expensive point source approach obtained the real world performance I was looking for in my particular room. This idea sprung to mind, because I feel you're looking at very different types of speakers. So instead of what's best, perhaps consider what type of speaker might be best e.g., point source/controlled directivity, single driver w sub, open baffle, traditional hifi. Salk speakers nail the traditional hi-fi approach and are what may sound best in many rooms, especially dedicated rooms. Take this advice for what it's worth, I'm quite enamored with thinking about how speakers will solve issues in my space acoustically, rather than thinking of the speakers in isolation. It's the speaker as tool analogy, sometimes you need a hammer rather than a saw.
post #10 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Your comment reminded me of another recommendation...a speaker that I've been told performs very well in most room scenarios (which you mentioned), that being the Soundfield Audio M1. It's a monitor-style speaker but has powered woofers. It is getting very good reviews.

post #11 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The Tekton has some serious design flaws. I would take the Salk hands down over it.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #12 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Does that mean Andrew Robinson's ears aren't so golden?
post #13 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Also, Rick is a great guy to know. If you shop Salk you have to look at Selah too.
post #14 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan View Post

Does that mean Andrew Robinson's ears aren't so golden?

Not necessarily. It is an unusual design, and I looked all over the web site for an explanation but couldn't find one. Normally 10" woofers don't work well in 2-way applications, since they start to beam before the optimal crossover point for most 1" dome tweeters. Also, placing 3 tweeters next to each other can cause comb filtering, depending on how closely the acoustic centers are spaced and the frequency range being covered. I'm not saying the designer didn't take steps to mitigate these problems, and the true test is always in the listening, but I would be interested to find out a little more about the techniques applied. Did I overlook something on the site? Anyhow, I hope a pair makes it to RMAF, because I would sure like to hear them.
post #15 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

Not necessarily. It is an unusual design, and I looked all over the web site for an explanation but couldn't find one. Normally 10" woofers don't work well in 2-way applications, since they start to beam before the optimal crossover point for most 1" dome tweeters. Also, placing 3 tweeters next to each other can cause comb filtering, depending on how closely the acoustic centers are spaced and the frequency range being covered. I'm not saying the designer didn't take steps to mitigate these problems, and the true test is always in the listening, but I would be interested to find out a little more about the techniques applied. Did I overlook something on the site? Anyhow, I hope a pair makes it to RMAF, because I would sure like to hear them.

I totally understand what your saying were going based on Andrews review and some current owners, in order for you to get all the information about the speaker you have to sign a non disclosure agreement, thats how secret he wants his stuff kept. eek.gif

I checked out salk spekers but their are no reviews for them on the website, unless i have to search the internet for them and they are not good looking except for the soundscape 8 they look decent. I love the design of these speakers their different, look at these speakers they are ugly as hell but apparently they are one of the best out there http://hometheaterreview.com/meyer-sound-x-10-powered-loudspeakers/

Once i get the approval of the wife lol we all know there dream killers i will order these bad boys and try them out for 30days thats the 30 day free trial, i am still waiting to hear if shipping is free.

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #16 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I love my Salk SongTowers. Don't know much of anything about these Tektons, but they sure aren't pretty to look at.
I know, I know. Speakers are meant to be seen and not heard. If we're comparing $2,000 SongTowers and $2,500 Tekton Pendragons though, the SongTowers are $500 cheaper, and look WAY better. It would all be a matter of how they sound for sure. In any case, do they publish the specs of their speakers anywhere? I couldn't find them on their site.

there brief but here they are
Dual 10" trandsducers
3 x 1" tweeter
200 Watts
98dB 1W@1m
8 Ohms
Frequency Response 20Hz-30kHz
Height 54" x Width 12" x Depth 16"

Here is the forum thread about the pendragons with the nicer pics, there is more detail from andrew and other buyers
http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/floorstanding-speakers-62/tekton-design-pendragon-loudspeaker-official-thread-1244/

its very interesting to say the least, like i said i am now confused what to get, i want to buy a new tv so speakers need to be more affordable. I am looking at the sharp 90inch, or if they com eout with it the 80inch sharp elite or the new LG84 inch 4K and not at cedia sharps showed a 94 inch tv

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #17 of 114 Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I've heard almost every speaker Salk makes, and they compare very well to the brick and mortar stuff. In fact, I'd take the SoundScape 8's over the Revel Salon2's, Dynaudio C4 Mark II's and Kef 207/2's. They really are that good. B&W and Wilson isn't in the same league IMO, but YMMV.
With that said, audio is highly subjective, so one man's treasure may be another's trash. Can you make the trip to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this year? If so you'll be able to hear the Salk's, perhaps the Tekton's and every other speaker you're probably considering.
By the way, what is your budget, and will you be using these for music, HT or both?

I dont really know my budget, but the more i can save the better, i have a really good hook up, i get things at cost basically, but since i want to buy a large screen TV and speakers plus save for a 2nd child and do house renos i want to pay under $4000 for the towers and the centre channel.

If i had no budget then i would be looking at the 800 diamonds probably the 802D, paradigm signature S8 and monitor audios platinum line the PL300. I want this tobe my last speaker purchase unless i win the lotto biggrin.gif or add the rear surrounds for a full 7.1 system down the road

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #18 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

I dont really know my budget, but the more i can save the better, i have a really good hook up, i get things at cost basically, but since i want to buy a large screen TV and speakers plus save for a 2nd child and do house renos i want to pay under $4000 for the towers and the centre channel.
If i had no budget then i would be looking at the 800 diamonds probably the 802D, paradigm signature S8 and monitor audios platinum line the PL300. I want this tobe my last speaker purchase unless i win the lotto biggrin.gif or add the rear surrounds for a full 7.1 system down the road

There are a bunch of Salk speaker reviews, just so you know. Here are some:

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1031
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audio-by-van-alstine-ultravalve-power-amplifier-salk-sound-songtower-qwt-loudspeaker-tas-204/
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0710/salk_sound_veracity_ht1_tl.htm
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/salk-songtower-qwt
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0408/stalk_signature_songtower.htm
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/salk-sound-veracity-ht2-tl

The SongTower also won product of the year at Audioholics and Enjoy The Music.

Oh, and I've heard the 800's, 802D's, Sig 8's and MA PL300; none come close to the SoundScape 8's. biggrin.gif The SoundScape 8's are more in the league of the Revel and Kef products (read up on both brands if you're not familiar - they are world class manufactures).

So why do you say the Salk's don't look good? They use world class drivers and you can get any of their speakers in any veneer you want. I think they are very nice looking. Some examples:

post #19 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 21
Nuance not trying to call you out here but I highly doubt the salks are that much better than the paradigm sig or the others, a bais opinion seems to be flowing out all over that post, I'd think the paradigm, b&w and others can hold their own against the salks.

I love the the looks of the Salk and their super charged song towers are in the running for me and although I've never heard all those speakers u say u compared, I doubt you could really give us an honest review of them up against each other with how long in between it was when u heard each system to set up and source played through the speakers, I doubt they were all on the same playing ground. Sig 8 and the 802D are amazing speakers to say they don't come close to the sounds scape sound kinda fanboyish as they are in that league. As I've never heard any I won't say which is better as I just don't know without hearing them all, but I do feel there is a lot of bsing in that post.
post #20 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
True and I have not heard Salk but I have owned another ID speaker before when I was starting out. Everyone raved about them. Better than speakers three times their cost ect. Well they sucked and let the 30 day return lapse. couldn't sell them on line at 25 percent and gave them away basically.

Folks think that buying ID has some secret sauce. No middle man.
Unless you are buying the last speaker of your life I will take my chances with the big boys. Resale in my opinion will be much better.

I will have to hear a Salk someday but ID is typically not for me. Then there is that amp brand... Ugh.

But sound is subjective. You have to buy what gets your groove going but there is no secret sauce to ID. For me once was enough. That guy that got em for nothing at a yard sale was probably happy. Glad I got them out my house.

Rick

post #21 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 08:14 PM

I think a lot of people think that buying id saves them money and gives them a better product cause they cut out the middle man but this just isn't true. See the big boys like paradigm, B&W and such mass produce making it cheaper to build as they build a ton of them and sell them to 1000's of retailers around the world to id companies that don't have that retail out let support and there limits what they can produce and then cost more to make but less mark up due to no retailer, in the end I think it all evens out.

I would LOVE to here Salks but man it's tough to give up $5000+ for speakers that I can't see or hear before buying then I go downtown and can see, hear and touch speakers like paradigms which sound amazing, but won't lie those Salk songtower supercharge might have me taking that big risk as I love their custom look and slimmer design over e songtowers. Also, the reviews I'm reading on the Tekon seem too good to be true but the problem is its not easy for average joe to hear these speakers risk free and it's hard to tell if the reviewer had a nice check when they received the speakers to review or that some of the people on here raving about them aren't employes pumping their tires. I do think Salks are the real deal though, not sure about Tekons tbh.
post #22 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

Nuance not trying to call you out here but I highly doubt the salks are that much better than the paradigm sig or the others, a bais opinion seems to be flowing out all over that post, I'd think the paradigm, b&w and others can hold their own against the salks.
I love the the looks of the Salk and their super charged song towers are in the running for me and although I've never heard all those speakers u say u compared, I doubt you could really give us an honest review of them up against each other with how long in between it was when u heard each system to set up and source played through the speakers, I doubt they were all on the same playing ground. Sig 8 and the 802D are amazing speakers to say they don't come close to the sounds scape sound kinda fanboyish as they are in that league. As I've never heard any I won't say which is better as I just don't know without hearing them all, but I do feel there is a lot of bsing in that post.

How can you go negative on Nuance and also say that the Paradigms and B&Ws hold their own against the Salks when you've never heard them? Nuance also claims the correct YMMV approach to the experience of loudspeakers. I have heard all the speakers you mention (and most of the Salk models), though admittedly not in a blind A/B comparo. Given that disclaimer, I flat out say that the SoundScapes are THE finest speakers I've heard...and I'm an Aerial Acoustics owner.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #23 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM

I said I'd think as in I would think they would hold their own, I also made it clear that I haven't heard them all so I couldn't tell but I would think paradigm flagship speaker line could hold its own to the Salks and the reviews the sigs get are great and compare them to speakers twice as much. We're comparing two very high end speakers and I wouldn't go as far as saying the sigs aren't close to the SoundScapes, maybe they aren't I don't know as I haven't compared the two as their out of my budget but with how favorable the sigs get in reviews I can't see how they couldn't compete against the SoundScapes which I believe are in the same price point as the sigs.
post #24 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
The Pendragon has been measured. It really doesnt look that bad, and reportedly sounds good.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?232919-Let-s-have-some-fun-with-measurements!&highlight=pendragon

Sensitivity spec is complete BS

post #25 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I said I'd think as in I would think they would hold their own, I also made it clear that I haven't heard them all so I couldn't tell but I would think paradigm flagship speaker line could hold its own to the Salks and the reviews the sigs get are great and compare them to speakers twice as much. We're comparing two very high end speakers and I wouldn't go as far as saying the sigs aren't close to the SoundScapes, maybe they aren't I don't know as I haven't compared the two as their out of my budget but with how favorable the sigs get in reviews I can't see how they couldn't compete against the SoundScapes which I believe are in the same price point as the sigs.

My point was: If you haven't heard them, don't be calling out Nuance with your comment that "there is a lot of bs'ing going on in that post". And you have no basis to even "think" that Paras and B&Ws can hold their own if you haven't heard any of them.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #26 of 114 Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

My point was: If you haven't heard them, don't be calling out Nuance with your comment that "there is a lot of bs'ing going on in that post". And you have no basis to even "think" that Paras and B&Ws can hold their own if you haven't heard any of them.

My point is its very hard to believe that the paradigm flagship speaker that gets very highly praised can't come close to the Salks, it does come across very bias. Hell I'm looking at Salks for my ht, but a lot of people here post saying they heard all these speakers but say it as ammo for pumping their favorite speakers when they haven't. Am I going to believe everything I read on here? Hell no, some poster pump what they have as the best brand, there all good really no one speaker better than the others and depending on the person I'm sure some will like the sig or 802 better than the Salks and other way around. I really find it hard to believe that a compared price point Salk would blow away a comparable priced paradigm or b&w.
Mr.SoftDome likes this.
post #27 of 114 Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have no dog in this race except I have heard the Paradigm Sigs and the 802D and I was not impressed so it would not be hard for the Salks to be better
post #28 of 114 Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post

I have no dog in this race except I have heard the Paradigm Sigs and the 802D and I was not impressed so it would not be hard for the Salks to be better
That's kind of like saying The Matrix Trilogy was about computers. biggrin.gif
Monkish54 likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #29 of 114 Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

My point is its very hard to believe that the paradigm flagship speaker that gets very highly praised can't come close to the Salks, it does come across very bias. Hell I'm looking at Salks for my ht, but a lot of people here post saying they heard all these speakers but say it as ammo for pumping their favorite speakers when they haven't. Am I going to believe everything I read on here? Hell no, some poster pump what they have as the best brand, there all good really no one speaker better than the others and depending on the person I'm sure some will like the sig or 802 better than the Salks and other way around. I really find it hard to believe that a compared price point Salk would blow away a comparable priced paradigm or b&w.

I agree 100%. biggrin.gif

It's call fanboy. My speakers and the speakers I like are the best. Other speakers either suck a little or they suck a lot. It's like that everywhere.

If you go to the B&W threads, B&W are the best. If you go to Revel, then Revel are the best. Same with Dynaudio, Focal, Paradigm, PSB, KEF, and every single fanboy thread. biggrin.gif
post #30 of 114 Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

I think a lot of people think that buying id saves them money and gives them a better product cause they cut out the middle man but this just isn't true. See the big boys like paradigm, B&W and such mass produce making it cheaper to build as they build a ton of them and sell them to 1000's of retailers around the world...

Trying hand-making the piano high gloss black B&W 802D2 in a garage with aftermarket diamond tweeters and Rohacell carbon fiber woofers for $15K/pr. biggrin.gif

And as far as sound quality goes, PPP - that's Pure Personal Preference. biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page