On-wall speaker suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
iAusio80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

Looking for some on-wall speaker suggestions. Some bookshelves with wall mount options are also good. These go next to my 60inch Samsung flat panel.

Budget for Left, Right, Center = ~$1200ish

I currently have Energy takes which are great and surprisingly somewhat fill the living room (1000 odd sq feet). As you can tell, I am not a critical listener
I am planning to use this set-up for 60% HT and 40% streamed music. This along with some Sonos or Audioengine speakers should help with my Sonos set-up as well.
I may end-up with Sonos speakers for kitchen etc as I'd have to run wires for Audioengine. Anyways, that's altogether a different headache.

Options I am considering:
[1] B&W 685s for L,CR,R - Requesting wall mount options
[2] Kef Q300 + Kef Q600 - Requesting wall mount options
[3] Definitive XTRs - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews
[4] Totem Tribes - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews

I am guessing any of these would be better than in-walls?

Appreciate your inputs!
iAusio80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
iAusio80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

Hey Guys,
Looking for some on-wall speaker suggestions. Some bookshelves with wall mount options are also good. These go next to my 60inch Samsung flat panel.
Budget for Left, Right, Center = ~$1200ish
I currently have Energy takes which are great and surprisingly somewhat fill the living room (1000 odd sq feet). As you can tell, I am not a critical listener
I am planning to use this set-up for 60% HT and 40% streamed music. This along with some Sonos or Audioengine speakers should help with my Sonos set-up as well.
I may end-up with Sonos speakers for kitchen etc as I'd have to run wires for Audioengine. Anyways, that's altogether a different headache.
Options I am considering:
[1] B&W 685s for L,CR,R - Requesting wall mount options
[2] Kef Q300 + Kef Q600 - Requesting wall mount options
[3] Definitive XTRs - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews
[4] Totem Tribes - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews
I am guessing any of these would be better than in-walls?
Appreciate your inputs!

bump ;-
iAusio80 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If you like the sound of the Take speakers, I would think any of the above would sound good. That said why do you have to wall mount bookshelf speakers? Do you not have the option of using stands? Otherwise I tend to like the on-wall options if you have to go on-wall. The Deftech and Totem speakers look interesting. With any of these choices you will want a dedicated subwoofer, have you budgeted for one?
ack_bk is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
iAusio80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

If you like the sound of the Take speakers, I would think any of the above would sound good. That said why do you have to wall mount bookshelf speakers? Do you not have the option of using stands? Otherwise I tend to like the on-wall options if you have to go on-wall. The Deftech and Totem speakers look interesting. With any of these choices you will want a dedicated subwoofer, have you budgeted for one?

Thx!

I'd prefer wall mount to keep a clean look and also avoid them being knocked over by dog or get pounded by the robotic vacuum cleaner.
I really did start with floorstanders in mind, but have kind of moved away assuming bookshelves wouldn't be a bad sacrifice.

I've heard the 685s and like them, but the Kefs seem to have good reviews and are slightly cheaper as well. I could get a pair @ reduced price from A4less.
I haven't heard the Deftechs or Totems. I do have a PA subwoofer. Not earthshaking, but kind of does the job. Could always get an SVS or Rhythmik in the future ;-

What I was looking for is to itemize the top (within the budget) bookshelves or on-wall speakers and then narrow down per reviews and auditioning.
iAusio80 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smasher50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: right behind you
Posts: 2,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
fwiw, pair of nht classic3's and classic3 center.these are acoustic suspension designed (no ports) so they can be mounted to walls if you don't mind buying used there are pair of classic3's and center on audiogon for $700 obo

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
smasher50 is online now  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,887
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Two good options from Focal

The 705V can be wall-mounted - with the good price, buy 2 pair and use one as a center channel.
The regular center channel is more expensive. Special price here.
http://dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34397

The Focal Sib XL is another option
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4906-focal-sib-xl-speaker-ea.aspx

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
iAusio80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Two good options from Focal
The 705V can be wall-mounted - with the good price, buy 2 pair and use one as a center channel.
The regular center channel is more expensive. Special price here.
http://dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/34397
The Focal Sib XL is another option
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4906-focal-sib-xl-speaker-ea.aspx

Great!. Need to find a place to audition.

List in no specific order:

[1] B&W 685s for L,CR,R - Requesting wall mount options
[2] Kef Q300 + Kef Q600 - Requesting wall mount options
[3] Definitive XTRs - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews
[4] Totem Tribes - Haven't heard them, but read good reviews
[5] Focal 705V
iAusio80 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off