Looking for some opinions on Klipsch Reference II Series speakers... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So let me lay out my scenario first.

I haven't been into AV stuff in over a decade so I'm slowly learning and have come to a pretty good idea of what I do want to buy based on reviews and research I've done.

My ideal goal is to get my sound to sound as close to a movie theater as possible within the money I'm looking to spend.

I am planning on going with a Denon 4311ci receiver.

That said, I've had my eyes on the Klipsch Reference II series of speakers based on recommendation as well as reviews I've read.

Right now I was thinking the RF-82 II for the fronts, the RC-62 II for the center, and then I was thinking the RS-62 II for the surrounds. I plan to start with 5 mains initially.

One of my questions that I have is if the RS-62 II will be a large enough upgrade over the RS-52 II speakers for the extra money I would be paying for them.

The "RF-82 Complete System" on the Klipsch website has the RS-52 II speakers in that package, so that is why I'm wondering if the 62's would be worth the upgrade. My initial thought was that the 62's will match the RMS output of the other speakers, but after doing a bit more research I've come to learn that RMS wattage really isn't something to worry about that much.

Additionally I don't know which sub(s) I want to get, but I first wanted to get these other speakers paired together because I can get a decent deal on them, but I wanted to hear opinions on the idea I have for my setup.

Is it realistic that I will get a sound close to a movie theatre (not 100% but get that feeling at home) with the setup I'm looking to get above? And also would like some opinions on the 62's vs the 52's if anyone has any.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Is it realistic that I will get a sound close to a movie theatre (not 100% but get that feeling at home) with the setup I'm looking to get above? And also would like some opinions on the 62's vs the 52's if anyone has any.

Thanks!

To get theater like sound, you're into THX reference. A set of standards that can be achieved. My recommendation is to look THX up and read to get a better idea what it means.

Speaker wise, I'd recommend stepping up to the RF-7 II series and a pair of 12" of 15" subs if you're wanting reference sound levels.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

To get theater like sound, you're into THX reference. A set of standards that can be achieved. My recommendation is to look THX up and read to get a better idea what it means.
Speaker wise, I'd recommend stepping up to the RF-7 II series and a pair of 12" of 15" subs if you're wanting reference sound levels.

Well I realize I'm not going to get anything close to 1:1 with actual movie theater sound, but my goal in general as buying home theater equipment, I should say, is to get it as movie theater like as possible, without taking out a second mortgage smile.gif
post #4 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Well I realize I'm not going to get anything close to 1:1 with actual movie theater sound, but my goal in general as buying home theater equipment, I should say, is to get it as movie theater like as possible, without taking out a second mortgage smile.gif

Throw enough money at this hobby/pursuit and you too can easily have quality, theater level sound. tongue.gif

Do you have a stated budget? I find the ticket is to state a budget and then triple it. Doing this, one will find they have realistic expectations as to price and quality. With this pursuit of theater like sound quality, at first, one's wallet will be challenged. The reward for playing the game is quality, at home, theater like sound.

Why the AVR4311Ci? Money is best spent on speakers first. One can go with a 7.1 AVR reciver with 7.1 pre-outs and add a five channel Amp after the home theater system is up and running. The 4311Ci will be outdated or obsolete in two or three years but quality speakers will be desirable classics, twenty/thirty years down the road. Just saying.

In my case, our twenty year old Klipsch mains and surround speakers, being played through a Marantz SR5007; delivered, $750.00. The center channel was upgraded this year (delivered, b-stock, $891.00) to a better match to the mains in the form of a b-stock RC-64 II. The SR5007 has a full set of pre-outs and if I feel inclined, at a later time an point, for under a thousand dollars we can add a five channel Amp by Emotiva or Crown. Currently (check it out), 5.1 content is up-channeled to 7.1 or 9.1 output. Start with 5.1, dial the system in and later add more speakers. This after the addition of a quality second sub. Remember, always, it's quality, quality, quality speakers/subs, every time. If you can't afford something, save the money and buy later.

The point, first, after stretching the home budget accordingly, buy the best speakers one can afford. Build your speaker system from the center channel out, Buy with the intent of having two 12" or 15" subwoofers to smooth out the bass in what ever room you set up in and due to ever changing technology, be ready to upgrade your electronics every three to five years.

At the beginning of your OP, you posted this:
Quote:
My ideal goal is to get my sound to sound as close to a movie theater as possible within the money I'm looking to spend.

My thoughts are in response to this comment only. I've purposely ignored everything else.

-
post #5 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well to be honest I would say the price of the Klipsch Reference series that I was looking at was around the budget I was looking. The setup I had in the OP, I was looking at getting for around $2100 - for 2 RF-82ii, RC-62ii, and 2 RS-62ii.

And the 4311ci can be had for around $1300.

I was going with the 4311ci because of some of the features it had based on opinions and reading on this forum. I do like the 3 zone feature that has, and I do like that it is pretty future proof with the 9.2 setup. The power behind it also seemed good, and overall seemed like a very solid AVR. Based on opinions I've read, people think even though it is older, it is still one of the better AVR's on the market in it's price range.

As I mentioned earlier I liked the 3 zone setup. I already have a 5.1 set that I bought back in 2002 or so, and I plan on keeping those mains. They are some tower JBL's that I bought back when I worked at Best Buy, I don't remember the model number. The center and surrounds I have are terrible, but my sub is okay. I plan on using those JBL mains for a different zone in my new home, and the new ones I get for the main HT setup.

You mention that spending money on quality speakers is worth it in the long run - are you saying that these Klipsch ones aren't quality? Or are you saying that if I saved up a bit more to get higher end Klipsch speakers, that in the long run, I will be happier?
post #6 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I was going with the 4311ci because of some of the features it had based on opinions and reading on this forum. I do like the 3 zone feature that has, and I do like that it is pretty future proof with the 9.2 setup. The power behind it also seemed good, and overall seemed like a very solid AVR. Based on opinions I've read, people think even though it is older, it is still one of the better AVR's on the market in it's price range.

Never said it wasn't. Technology moves forward, not backwards. I can't say what the latest and greatest is as I'm not a futurist. I do know, trailing edge technology is just that, trailing edge and in today's leaps and bounds technological world, this is a valid point worth making. I'm not trying to talk you out of the AVR4311Ci, I'm just commenting that speakers are more important that the receiver and "IN MY OPINION," your money is better spent on speaker upgrades as opposed to receiver upgrades that will obsolete right before your very eyes; "I'm melting."

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier I liked the 3 zone setup.

The post I responded to didn't mention this point.

Quote:
I already have a 5.1 set that I bought back in 2002 or so, and I plan on keeping those mains.

The post I responded to didn't mention this point.

Quote:
...but my sub is okay.

In your original post that I responded to, you commented:

Quote:

It's hard to give a cogent response when, after the fact, one keeps changing the interacting parameters or context of the conversation.

Quote:
You mention that spending money on quality speakers is worth it in the long run - are you saying that these Klipsch ones aren't quality? Or are you saying that if I saved up a bit more to get higher end Klipsch speakers, that in the long run, I will be happier?

Quality doesn't need to be upgraded. With that in mind, yes, the RF-7's are better in overall quality then the RF-82 II's and a pair of b-stock RF-7 II's can be had for $1,600.00. My advice is, first, get the best speakers you can afford and as I posted earlier, build from the "CENTER CHANNEL" out and compliment that center channel with at minimum, a "PAIR" of subwoofers. Build your system as you can afford as opposed to buying, re-buying and buying again because you couldn't afford quality from the onset. Set a goal and buy to that goal.

It's a bit frustrating to take the time to craft a rational response and then have the individual, post in reply, as if they hadn't read your reply.

confused.gif

-
post #7 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

So let me lay out my scenario first.
...My ideal goal is to get my sound to sound as close to a movie theater as possible within the money I'm looking to spend.
I am planning on going with a Denon 4311ci receiver.
That said, I've had my eyes on the Klipsch Reference II series of speakers based on recommendation as well as reviews I've read.
Right now I was thinking the RF-82 II for the fronts, the RC-62 II for the center, and then I was thinking the RS-62 II for the surrounds. I plan to start with 5 mains initially.
One of my questions that I have is if the RS-62 II will be a large enough upgrade over the RS-52 II speakers for the extra money I would be paying for them.
...Is it realistic that I will get a sound close to a movie theatre (not 100% but get that feeling at home) with the setup I'm looking to get above? And also would like some opinions on the 62's vs the 52's if anyone has any.
Thanks!

I think what you have listed would sound great. Insofar as the difference in the RS-52s/62s there may be a slight difference and bigger is better...That said, the best thing to do is go listen for yourself because it's easy for us to spend your money on something that any of us consider "Movie Theater" quality, but then again some of us are obsessed with this hobby...The bottom line is what sounds good to you and what you are willing to spend.

Imo, the best bang-for-your buck is going to be in the used market if you can find deals locally. The RF-7s/RC-7 front soundstage is going to be an upgrade to what you are looking at and can be found used for approximately what New RF-82II/RC-62 cost...That said, either the Klipsch THX line or RF-7II/RC-64II are going to be almost twice as expensive, sound better, but I definitely wouldn't go over budget in this economy. Good Luck!
post #8 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well to be honest I would say the price of the Klipsch Reference series that I was looking at was around the budget I was looking. The setup I had in the OP, I was looking at getting for around $2100 - for 2 RF-82ii, RC-62ii, and 2 RS-62ii.

Hmmm....If you can get the RF-7IIs/RC-64II for $2500 that AVR should drive them nicely. Insofar as surround speakers are concerned, that is an area you can maybe use a pair of your existing speakers until you can afford an upgrade...Fwiw, the most important speakers are your Front Sound Stage. That said, getting the Klipsch current top-of-the line Reference Speakers for half price at an authorized dealer makes me think the MSRP is way over stated.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Beeman,

All of my talk about my current setup (the JBL speakers I have, including the sub) doesn't have to do with the current setup I'm looking to buy, other than I was stating that I plan to run one of the zones out of my AVR to power them in another room. That is all it was intended for and nothing more.

And when I said "as I mentioned earlier about 3 zones" I meant up above 1 paragraph, in that same reply. I was not referring to previous posts.

I'm also totally new to all this and am simply looking for as many educated opinions as possible on.

Zen Traveler,

Thanks for your response as well.

I definitely do want to find a place that I can go listen to setups before I go and actually purchase stuff and spend thousands of dollars on it. I also need to take measurements of the room where all of this is going to be when we move into our home in 2 weeks.

I just need to be patient and continue to do my research as well.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just got a quote on the following:

2 RF-7 II for the fronts
RC-64 II for the center
2 RS-62 || for the rears

$3650 delivered.

Now I have to just go listen to some of these and see what I think about them.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

As I mentioned earlier I liked the 3 zone setup. I already have a 5.1 set that I bought back in 2002 or so, and I plan on keeping those mains. They are some tower JBL's that I bought back when I worked at Best Buy, I don't remember the model number. The center and surrounds I have are terrible, but my sub is okay. I plan on using those JBL mains for a different zone in my new home, and the new ones I get for the main HT setup.

Check out the 3312 or 3313.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Make sure you see them in person.

Pictures don't do justice in conveying the size of the rf-7's. At the store, I thought the rf-7's looked absolutely massive next to the rf-82's. It made the rf-82's look tiny. I would not want those rf-7's in an apartment, townhouse, or small room.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got a quote on the following:
2 RF-7 II for the fronts
RC-64 II for the center
2 RS-62 || for the rears
$3650 delivered.
Now I have to just go listen to some of these and see what I think about them.

That is a real nice setup and the AVR-4311 should drive those pretty well in a small to medium HT, but you just increased your budget by $1500 and haven't mentioned how much you want to spend on a subwoofer...Like I said, it's easy to spend your money for me, but if you are purchasing a house make sure your wife and budget are copacetic...That's my advice. smile.gif
post #14 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

Make sure you see them in person.
Pictures don't do justice in conveying the size of the rf-7's. At the store, I thought the rf-7's looked absolutely massive next to the rf-82's. It made the rf-82's look tiny. I would not want those rf-7's in an apartment, townhouse, or small room.

I agree that the RF-7s and appropriate center channels are huge, but I have my 7.2 setup with large speakers all of the way around in a 2,000 cu ft Library Home Theater and it sound phenomenal...No, not much room to walk around but it is a Home Theater built for 2 to 3 people and SQ is at a premium. cool.gif
post #15 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

If big speakers can fit and sound good, then I'm all for it.

I guess I just been reading too many reviews of different speakers, where the reviewer says the speaker sounds best varying from 3 feet to 6 feet into the room. If I had to put an rf-7 way into a room, then that would suck. Since it being rear ported, I know it would need some space at least.

Perhaps, the rf-7's don't need that much space behind it for most rooms, I don't know, never owned them.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FWIW, in another thread here I made a post that shows pictures of the 2 possible rooms I am going to do my HT setup. Here is a link to the post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/1440#post_22311237

The first 2 pics are where I planned on putting it initially, but after thinking more about it, and even talking to my wife, I was thinking about doing it in the 2nd room in the 3rd picture. It is a split level house, and the 3rd pic is the basement basement. So there isn't much natural light either.

If I go the 1st room, I'm definitely going TV. If I go 2nd room, possibly Projector. But that is kind of besides the point here.

The 2nd room we had planned on putting a pool table, a small bar, an arcade game I already own, and possibly a pin ball machine sometime down the road. I don't know if I will have room for all of that (excluding the pinball table) and putting a HT system down there.

But I don't have any measurements just yet, and don't move in until Labor Day weekend, so I won't have any until then either. But you can kind of get a ballpark idea of the room size I'm looking at.

As far as the budget goes, as much as I want to rush in and get EVERYTHING at once, I may just be patient and piece meal together a system that will in the end be much nicer but cost more. That is why I mentioned the other setup which is $1500 more. And then a month or so later, buy 1 sub, and maybe another one that matches after at some point.

Are there any forums on this website dedicated to local areas? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure of local A/V stores that have showrooms to set out a bunch of components. All of the ones I used to know of are long gone, but that was about a decade ago.

Sorry that this thread is taking so many tangents!
post #17 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post

...I guess I just been reading too many reviews of different speakers, where the reviewer says the speaker sounds best varying from 3 feet to 6 feet into the room....

The RF-7s do need about 18" of breathing room. That said, anything approaching 6 ft seems impractical in most Home Theater situations and definitely hard to do in a Living Room.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... That is why I mentioned the other setup which is $1500 more. ... I'm not sure of local A/V stores that have showrooms to set out a bunch of components. All of the ones I used to know of are long gone, but that was about a decade ago...

And this is the dilemma of the internet age...Fwiw, I don't feel comfortable telling people "Sure--Get the more expensive package and take my word for it," although others on here will...If you can afford it, all I can say is that what you are looking at has a good reputation on the internet, although I have seen (only a few) others purchase them and not be as happy.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

And this is the dilemma of the internet age...Fwiw, I don't feel comfortable telling people "Sure--Get the more expensive package and take my word for it," although others on here will...If you can afford it, all I can say is that what you are looking at has a good reputation on the internet, although I have seen (only a few) others purchase them and not be as happy.

Yea that is the problem. I remember 10 years ago I had a Tweeter, Circuit City, Best Buy, and some other place that had high end stuff I could go listen to in the show room. Tweeter is no more, and neither is CC or that other place. And Best Buy I may go check out just to hear stuff, but I wish I had more options than just that.

I did find a place that is near my job that I'm going to check out on lunch break, but it doesn't look like they carry Klipsch there.

And like mentioned, the Klipsch reference series has a pretty good reputation in general.
post #20 of 21 Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Quality doesn't need to be upgraded. With that in mind, yes, the RF-7's are better in overall quality then the RF-82 II's and a pair of b-stock RF-7 II's can be had for $1,600.00. My advice is, first, get the best speakers you can afford and as I posted earlier, build from the "CENTER CHANNEL" out and compliment that center channel with at minimum, a "PAIR" of subwoofers. Build your system as you can afford as opposed to buying, re-buying and buying again because you couldn't afford quality from the onset. Set a goal and buy to that goal.
It's a bit frustrating to take the time to craft a rational response and then have the individual, post in reply, as if they hadn't read your reply.
confused.gif
-

BeeMan, thanks for your response, as I am in the same boat as OP. Where can I get a pair of RF-7 II's for $1600?
post #21 of 21 Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post

BeeMan, thanks for your response, as I am in the same boat as OP. Where can I get a pair of RF-7 II's for $1600?

PM sent.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page