Bipole speakers near back wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have bipole rear speakers which in our new house will have to go to the side of the couch near the back wall (not ON the back wall).

I have a point of debate in my head. One of the walls is "open" to the other room for the most part. I can mount the speaker as far forward on this wall as possible or I can place it at a point where the speaker will reflect its sound off the back wall and "hit" the prime listening position. Will this reflection of the sound be ok or should I be trying to mount the speaker as far forward as possible so the reflection off the back wall is "after" the listeners ear?

Because I am horrible at explaining things here is a picture to make it (hopefully) clearer

The blue spot is the couch and the rough backward firing direction of the bipole speaker is drawn. In one case you can see it should reach the couch relatively unobstructed. In the other case it will reach the same point but be reflected off the back wall. I know bipole speakers are supposed to created diffuse sound but I'm not sure how they work close to a rear wall.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page