thrift store JBL 5.1 speaker system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just brought home a JBL 5.1 speaker system.

Sub ; JBL Powerbase PB12, made in Mexico, Found a manual online.

Front: JBL G 500 tower speakers, 6 ohm, made in usa

Center: It just says JBL 'G Movies Center', no other model number

Back: "JBL G Movies Surround". made in china. These have swivel wall mounts attached

I paid a little more than I usually would for something from a thrift store.

Is anybody familiar with this system?
John

i had to edit this. I don't know how my brain let me type JVC instead of JBL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I would upgrade the center. It looks a bit weak to keep up with your towers. The surrounds are probably fine. Try and find a center that will match the towers in timbre.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
how much did you pay? some of those thrift stores that are locally owned are more like ebay type of high prices. I noticed that some goodwill and salvation army stores are priced much higher then others. Make friends with the people who put the electronics on the shelf. Sometimes they will let me bargain with them if they haven't put a price tag on it yet. I ask if anything is in the back yet that hasn't been put out yet. They let me look at it sometimes. other times they tell me what they might price it as, but say they will make me a deal if i buy it that day. i know they have to get rid of the electronics fast, because they get so much everyday and run out of room to put it in the store. i saw a jbl pb10 that i missed a few months ago at goodwill. i walked past it somehow and didn' see it. i saw another guy bring it to the counter. sometimes you find good deals at thrift stores. other times the woofer surrounds need replaced. i see this all the time whenever i find a speaker I like cheap. i wanted two infinity bookshelf speakers until I saw the surrounds were bad on it.
Dimethios likes this.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I paid $100 for the set. It was marked $200 but it was a 1/2 off senior day. I can return it for refund. I'd say they are cosmetically about a 7 or 8. the cones look perfect. Speakers are often cheaper there and I've got more old speakers than I need, but I didn't have a subwoofer or any experience with them. I thought this sub looked substantial enough to justify the purchase. I hooked it up and it seems to work. I tried line outputs from theTV and LFE output from a Kenwood receiver. I may have expected a little more powerful bass from it but I didn't have the level all the way up. So I'm still figuring out the settings and I have to try more different program material. Haven't tested the others yet

The sub dust cover dome is pushed in and a I tried to pull it out with a vacuum. It can't get a good seal to provide much suction cus of the shape of the dent. I also tried hot gluing a AA battery to the center of the dent. It won't budge. The dust cover is quite stiff plastic. I should probably leave it alone, but I might try something else

I have a makeshift theater setup in the basement. The 12' wide room is a little narrow for the 92" wide screen and (2) 16.5 inch wide Pioneer CS99 speakers. These G500 towers will help.

I found manuals online on all but the little rear surrounds.

Best mark down I ever had was a Sears Hardware store that was closing. It was the last day of the liquidation and everything was already down %50 or so. Not much was left. It got down to the last 15 minutes they were open. They announced they would start taking 90% off your total. I bought a snowblower cab that was regular about $100, A generator accessory kit which included a heavy 240v 10awg 30ft power cord, and a hand full of drills, taps & stuff. About $225 worth of stuff for about $7. That building is now the thrift store where I got the speakers.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 AM

Liked: 13
$100 is great price. I used to own the PB12 and it is worth $100 alone so consider the others freebies!

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #6 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
For $100 that's a steal. Congrats on a great purchase!

like was said above the subwoofer is worth $100 by itself.

Afro GT
post #7 of 20 Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

that is a good sears sale that you got. gotta love those senior day sales at thrift stores. I bring my mom in for those days to help me get the electronics cheaper. I don't do as much thrift store shopping as I used to. I used to go three times a week and get on the interstate to 5 different stores in different areas. I go once every week or two now. sorry that the subwoofer has a dent in it. I see stuff like that at thrift stores and I am afraid to buy it. Some people say that the dustcap bent in doesn't effect the sound. others say that it does.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

My efforts on the dented dust cap.
I found a styrofoam plumbing spacer thing that was close to the diameter of the dust cap. I shaped the edge, with a razor blade, to the angle of the speaker cone so it would fit snug around edge of the dust cap. I made a hole to match the vacuum hose. Now I had an adapter to tightly match the vacuum host to the diameter of dust cap . Vacuum wouldn't budge it.

Next I used hot glue to glue a 1" pill bottle to the center of the dented dust cap. I was able to pull out the dent, but I pulled the bottle off in the process, taking a thin layer of the surface of the dust cap with it. I spread some Elmers glue over the rough surface left where the bottle had bin, to seal the rough look of it. The dent is out.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

does it sound okay since the dent was out now?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The dent wouldn't have affected the sound either way.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #11 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

oh I always heard that the dent affects sound flying
post #12 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

how much did you pay? some of those thrift stores that are locally owned are more like ebay type of high prices. I noticed that some goodwill and salvation army stores are priced much higher then others. Make friends with the people who put the electronics on the shelf. Sometimes they will let me bargain with them if they haven't put a price tag on it yet. I ask if anything is in the back yet that hasn't been put out yet. They let me look at it sometimes. other times they tell me what they might price it as, but say they will make me a deal if i buy it that day. i know they have to get rid of the electronics fast, because they get so much everyday and run out of room to put it in the store. i saw a jbl pb10 that i missed a few months ago at goodwill. i walked past it somehow and didn' see it. i saw another guy bring it to the counter. sometimes you find good deals at thrift stores. other times the woofer surrounds need replaced. i see this all the time whenever i find a speaker I like cheap. i wanted two infinity bookshelf speakers until I saw the surrounds were bad on it.

+1 to what's said, he speaks the truth. John, I am the main drive thru collector at Valpo Goodwill, and as you can see, I'm a member here. Come in Monday and ask for me i'll be there till 5pm.So, if anyone else is ever in the Valparaiso Indiana area, swing by, ask for Joe tell me your a member here and I will take care of you! We get great stuff in all the time & my house is full of it! biggrin.gif

Dang I missed those, Oh I bet I know why it was marked high. It prob was an item from Target. I don't price the Target stuff. If there is a Q on the tag it is and we have to price those items differently. Under contract, we have a % we mark off from retail, but I can help you still.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Yeah, I still like to put out the speakers with bad surrounds if they are a good make. I will usually mark them as/is and throw in a deep discount.

You guys would **** some $ expensive speakers (These) http://www.rbhsound.com/8300se.php came in about 1yr & 1/2 ago. I was all eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif But I threw my back out at work the next day was out for a week came back and the damn things had vanished. I think one of the truck drivers stole them for their store! mad.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 08-25-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Dimethios I remember a worker telling me why some stuff was so high, being target stuff that they bid on and Ac More stuff I think. I bought a jbl iphone dock for 40 bucks new a few weeks ago from goodwill. I saw it for over a 100 bucks on amazon. i think it was one of the target items. My best finds are at salvation army locations. My best finds at goodwill in the past were yamaha htr 5730 surround sound receiver for 15 bucks, and mission bookshelf speaker pair 10 bucks. Some salvation army stores tell me that they look at ebay before pricing some electronic items. that one store gets really nice things in sometimes, but they price from 50 to a 100 for those vintage amps usually. I wish that all stuff donated to goodwill stayed in the store. I feel like some stores who sell on shop goodwill ebay competitor site marks up those items really high sometimes with huge shipping fees and stuff like this A 5% handling fee applies to all purchased items, regardless of delivery method including pick up. I have to much stereo stuff, but I like to collect it if I find a good deal. I don't resell anything though. the local ones owned Dimethios would be like the one from storage wars show I guess. I always hear them say on the show how much they can get at the thrift store for those items. they always say a high price.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think the dust cover dent affects the sound at all. I just didn't like the look of it.

I get to the Valpo store a 2 or 3 times a year. The speakers are from an Illinois store.

I usually don't haggle over prices in a thrift store. The stuffs already cheap enough.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

the stuff at thrift stores is not always cheap enough. some thrift store stuff you pay more for it used then new. One thrift store that's not goodwill or salvation army but another one likes to price high, and say compare to ebay. They are a chain, but overprice everything compared to the other stores. They wanted over a 100 dollars for a laserdisc player, and said on the sign compare to this price on ebay. They are a thrift store. They are not ebay. why are they charging almost what it cost to buy the thing on ebay? Unless the person just has to have a laserdisc player that they don't make anymore, I don't see the point paying a 100 for it.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Connected to a receiver LFE output, I found that there's more LFE sound from a DVD compared to my dish receiver. While the wires were out I decided to try out anotherr recently acquired sub, a Sony sa-W10. The JBL is 250 watts, the Sony is 25 watts and it's a suprise how much sound it puts out. The Sony SA-W10 was another thrift store purchase for $6.00 on senior 1/2 off day.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

well $6.00 is a good deal for the sony sub. The stuff that bothers me is 60 dollars a pair for really old sanyo speakers that need new woofer surrounds, a pair of panasonic floorstanding speakers that looked like crap for 40 bucks. They were really old and no way to remove the grill that I know of to look at it. tried. I heard women complain that knock off china town style designer purses and handbags are 20 bucks and up at the thrift stores. Some brands that are real and might cost 20 to 30 or more new for a handbag they want that much used for it. I think 10 bucks to 30 is a good price on the receivers that I see. 50 is pushing it for some of those receivers unless they are really nice. Most of the receivers that I purchased used were 10 bucks to 25. I saw a pair of floorstanding marantz speakers from the 70s or 80s a few months ago at Salvation Army. They were in horrible shape and needed new woofer surrounds and new midrange surrpounds replaced. they wanted 40 or 50 bucks for them. I decided not to get them because of the shape that they were in. the grills even looked bad.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Missions. I got a pair from work a few weeks back. Got some DCM's and some PCB's too. Like I said, next time either of you are in store, come see me. I am not there on Thursday or Sunday tho. Please tell me your from here and screen name etc so I know it's you and not just another customer wanting info. If there is anything in particular your looking for, ill make sure to keep my eyes out.

Tomorrow is 1/2 off, and there is some Jensen speakers I put out there tonight for 8 bucks for the pair. NIce solid cabinets too. Mid range needs re-foam tho. Remember we open at 8am tomorrow.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up another $5 subwoofer. It's a Sanyo.from the 90's. Turns out it was part of a home theater in a box system and has a 5 pin mini din plug as the input. It's amp serves as the amp for the whole system. It's supposed to be 75 watts, but depends on how many speakers are driven. It exhibits no signs of life when plugged in.
Took it apart. Theres 4 analog amp chips in it. (2) 20 watt stereo chips. (1) 30 watt stereo chip and (1) 68 watt mono chip. The sub speaker looks like 6" from the back
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page