Speaker recommendation for Heights - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wondering what speakers everyone is using for heights. I have energyr RCLCR for mains and RC10's for surrounds and was thinking of trying my RC micros as heights. I tried using my micro's as heights before and I didn't really notice any difference, but that could be because1) they are to small or 2) I'm using only 2EQ with my Onkyo 608. I get my New Onkyo 818 on friday so the question is will the XT32 make a difference or are those micros just going to get drowned out because of their size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to revise the question. Satellite vs bookshelf for heights.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heights are not going to make a huge difference. I run heights (and DSX wides), and while I definitely like the effect it adds, it is fairly subtle. I'm using RC-70s for L/R, RC-LCR for center, RC-30s for wides, RC-micros for the heights and RC-R for surrounds. I would recommend RC-10s over the RC-micros if the budget and placement is there. I like my micros just fine, but the RC-10 is just a more capable speaker. Don't expect a jarring difference with either speaker though.

IBEW Local 1643
post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Liked: 30
Heights are subtle in most movies so, your micros might have been fine but, it's just not very noticeable a lot of the time. If you can, give Tron: Legacy a try. I found that to be a pretty amazing test of heights and wides in DTS Neo:X. There are a number of parts where things sound like they are coming from directly above you.

One thing about heights is that they can be a real pain to position right. They need to be up high but also angled towards the listening position. Depending on your placement method, the micros might actually be a better choice than a heavier and harder to position speaker.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try the micros, I have an extra set of rc10's but they would be a pain to mount. Do people typically use bookshelf type speakers as heights? If the response was a significant yes and that it makes a significant difference with say DTS NEO X than I might be inclined to spend the time and money on brackets for the RC 10's.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post

Thanks, I will try the micros, I have an extra set of rc10's but they would be a pain to mount. Do people typically use bookshelf type speakers as heights? If the response was a significant yes and that it makes a significant difference with say DTS NEO X than I might be inclined to spend the time and money on brackets for the RC 10's.

I recently upgraded from all Polk speakers to Focal Chorus 700 series speakers but left the Polk OMW3 heights in place because there weren't Focals that would sit where I had the Polks. The only time I've noticed the very inferior quality of the heights is when I've played with the receiver feature that allows you to use the heights to raise the apparent height of the center. That sounded pretty awful but, in general, I don't mind the Polk OMW3 for heights at all. They do the job and give a bit more effect than not having them. Again, it's a subtle effect and I don't think you need great speakers to benefit from it. Though, you do need those speakers to be setup properly.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I have been playin around with audyssey DSX and DTX Neo X and it's a subtle difference at best. I realized that in order to use the bigger RC 10's I would have to mount them sideways which I can get brackets for. Anyone know if there are any disadvantages to doing it this way. The brackets can angle down towards the LP.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinguy100 View Post

Thanks for the info. I have been playin around with audyssey DSX and DTX Neo X and it's a subtle difference at best. I realized that in order to use the bigger RC 10's I would have to mount them sideways which I can get brackets for. Anyone know if there are any disadvantages to doing it this way. The brackets can angle down towards the LP.

You should not have an issue laying them on their sides. This is how I had mine setup with my Polk monitor 30's and did not notice a difference in sound.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is what I have been using for heights for more than 28 years and i am very satisfied,

KeepItSimple1000X750.jpg

Chord CPM-2600 amplifier
Chord One cd player
Acoustat 1+1 speakers
Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page