Quick question on AWG requirement for in wall surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This week we will be installing the wiring for our family room surrounds (new construction). We're going to go with a basic family room speaker setup (3 channel front sound bar, 2 rears, compact sub, and receiver) because the room is going to be very very far from ideal for sound quality. The room (kitchen & family) is approximately 22x38 ft with 23 foot vaulted ceilings, hard floors, leather couches, stone work, etc. In fact I'm even questioning why I'm going with anything other than a sound bar (also have seperate small dedicated theater room). The wire run to the rear surrounds will be approximately 80 ft. Will 16 AWG wire be sufficient or will I need to order 14 or 12AWG? The installer is including 16AWG in the price but if larger I would need to order my own in order to save from purchasing from them at double the cost of Monoprice.

BTW, to give you a basic idea of how the acoustics of the room will be, the room will be somewhat similar to this (though little less glass, taller ceilings, and tile floors eek.gif):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

depending on the impedance of your speakers, looks like 16 should be fine
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why not just get 12 AWG so you don't have to worry about it in the future? Using the same calculator mgrotel posted above, if for some reason you decide to change to 4 ohm speakers for your surrounds, then you'll be kicking yourself for installing 16 AWG wire, because you can't exactly easily change it out.

A few months ago, I ran wire in my attic to my surrounds and required 60' of wire each speaker, and I used Monoprice in-wall 12 AWG wire which was very inexpensive (100' costs $32). I might not need 12 AWG, but it is so inexpensive and gives me peace of mind.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
I do everything in oxygen free, 12AWG. That way I don't have to think about it as the price difference between gauges is nominal for a 100' or 250' spool. FYI, any in wall wire needs to be CL2 rated.

Quote:
I might not need 12 AWG, but it is so inexpensive and gives me peace of mind.

Yeah, what beezar posted above as again, with 12AWG, you don't have to think about it.

As to the room's acoustics, to get an idea of how sonically active it's going be, once furnished and appointed, put on some hard leather shoes and toe tap your way around the room, listening for echos as you lightly tap with the leather'd sole of the front of the shoe.

Tap, echo, tap, echo, tap, echo, t.....

Good luck with that one.

-
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Fwiw, the longest in wall CL2 rated wire I'm running in my walls is about 20-25 feet, and I used 14 gauge so I woundnt ever have to worry about it either. So if I were you, I'd do 12ga and be done
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page