question about using bipole/dipole surrounds with my unbalanced living room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52

i currently am using bookshelf speakers mounted on stands on either side of the couch (beside the staircase) facing the listening position. i'd like to try a pair of true surround speakers but am wondering if the left speaker might sound unbalanced or "off" because of the wall that is directly behind and beside it. it will be in a corner while the right speaker will not.

thanks for your insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've had pretty good success with bipoles in somewhat unbalanced positions, but not with one open wall positioned as yours is. I think you would be able to get it to "work", but not without some room EQ and ideally, some measurement capabilities to do any final adjusting or confirmation.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 13
My setup has bipole speakers on the back wall, with the left one near a corner and the right still on the back wall but no side walls remotely near it. I used to have Audyssey 2EQ before upgrading to Audyssey XT32, and both versions of Audyssey set the level gain higher on the right surround by 3dB.

However, with Audssey 2EQ, it sounded ok, but a bit unmatched from both sides. With Audssey XT32, it sounds fantastic and evenly matched. So my results agree with what bfreedma is saying above, good room EQ helps quite a bit.

Where are you going to put your right surround by the way? On a stand?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

i currently am using bookshelf speakers mounted on stands on either side of the couch (beside the staircase) facing the listening position. i'd like to try a pair of true surround speakers but am wondering if the left speaker might sound unbalanced or "off" because of the wall that is directly behind and beside it. it will be in a corner while the right speaker will not.
thanks for your insight.

The problem is the way your room is configured. If you place a bi-pole on the wall next to the hallway opening, the sound will run away, down the hall and away from you. The same will happen if you use a di-pole.

A weird solution would be to mount a bi-pole to the left of the sofa on the staircase wall as you face the TV and a bookshelf on the hallway wall that leads into the kitchen.

Another solution would be to mount on each opposing wall, bookshelf speakers on wall mounts with swivels and aim them to your needs but the hallway opening is going suck any sound away from the room reproduced by any speakers pointed in the direction of the hallway.

frown.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bipoles on or in the ceiling is about your only real choice, except for what you are currently doing.

And you could do BOTH. That is Bipoles in/on the ceiling AND small monopoles on each side of the couch firing on axis.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page