Outdoor Speakers - any clear winner Polk vs. Boston vs. Atlantic - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Consider Technomad Vernal's. This company makes 100% weatherproof speakers & they sound great. I have actually heard them. Orignally designed for military & theme park applications etc.
The Vernal is pretty compact box as well. Its the smallest in their lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Whenever you place a speaker on its side you will get an off axis midrange dip, that's the reason I recommend vertical placement when possible unless using coax driver like mentioned. I do understand aesthetics plays a concern and vertical mounting is not always acceptable. I'm a little more particular with this for center speakers which are often a compromise in this regard. However for outside purposes I'd trade a little fidelity for some more bass. They are probably a good choice for more bass if placed under an eave by looking at the design. I haven't used them personally though, so I can't comment on the speakers themselves.
is it really a concern with outdoor speakers? Seriously, does anyone sit down outside and do critical listening, or are they usually up and walking around and using them for background music? I think it's a moot point.

To the OP, I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the speakers if your plan is just a little background music.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #33 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Thanks again gang...so please don't take this the wrong way...but I am just trying to make sure I've researched to the best of my ability my options.   What about these ?   Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speakers   Seems to pehaps give me the missing bass some of the others might have ?

I have the AW6500, and really like them. All of my friends who have heard them have really been impressed as well.
post #34 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 53
It is a moot point to some and not others. The OP obviously cares about it or wouldn't have done any research and bought the cheapest thing he could at Walmart, Costco or Amazon. We definitely have a few clients that it is a big deal to. To most if they are socializing it is just that, background music and could care less. To others they like to listen to good music when they come home and enjoy their outside area to have a drink and relax. They don't want poor sound in their space to relax. Others might want loud levels and lots of bass for parties or dancing. Some I know of use regular speakers set up properly outside for critical listening and bring them inside when not in use. To each his own but don't assume everyone just wants background music outside. It just isn't true.
post #35 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

None of the speakers he's looking at is going to give him poor sound. I just don't think the difference between all of them could easily be heard in an outdoor environment.

As always, this is merely my opinion. It does not mean that I am correct.

post #36 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Just curious why do you think the outside environment would make a difference? This is often a better environment for speaker testing callled quasi-anechoic. Not mounted on a house of course but if you have a quiet open area outside it is the best way to simulate an anechoic chamber for speaker measurements and testing since there are no surfaces to reflect sound. It is a poor man's anechoic chamber.

There is a distinction between one being able to tell a difference between speakers and one caring about the difference. Almost everyone without significant hearing loss can differentiate a better speaker in a comparison test. I think you are correct that if they are decently designed speakers most might not care about the differences as long as they sounded good. I do think the passive radiator design under an eave would have a significant bass advantage among otherwise similarly designed speakers that would easily be heard. It would be like the difference between a 4" and 8" woofer.
post #37 of 53 Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

For bass to be heard outdoors you need to move a lot of air. Room gain and pressurization is non existent. The only things I've heard that have any appreciable bass were the large outdoor speakers. Never heard much to speak of out of the smaller ones such as the ones he's looking at.

post #38 of 53 Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 AM

It depends what you are defining as bass. I wouldn't expect 20hz thundering bass out of any of these. But ~60hz bass at a decent level ays 85db should be possible with a passive radiator mounted under an eave and near a wall would give enough gain to make this possible. I bet the other ones do not have any decent output much under 100hz. That would be a noticeable improvement.
post #39 of 53 Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya, I can see your point.

post #40 of 53 Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

This review made me pull the trigger on the Def Tech's - stay tuned and thank to all for your help!

You will not be sorry, they are incredible for outdoor speakers. And they look pretty good too.

outside speaker.JPG 2392k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside speaker.JPG (2.34 MB, 68 views)

My Gear
post #41 of 53 Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19

So now the funny story begins...

Little did I realize is that when I was comparing all the models, it was not apples to oranges.  The Def Techs were sold as a "single unit" each and all the rest were in pairs.  So when they showed up on Saturday - I only had one speaker.

So now I have to figure out what to do.  It is a fairly expensive move to ultimately get 3 more Def Techs - which is what I will need long term, as I do not want to mix and match speakers.  I need two speakers for the pool area and two for the patio area/dinner area.

I think I will have to take the Def Techs back and just get a pair of the Polks or the Emotiva's, nearly 1/2 the price and sticks to my original budget.  Dang the Def Techs look so great.  OH WELL, lesson learned.

post #42 of 53 Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Bummer:( I hate when budget gets in the way of things I want to do.
post #43 of 53 Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
I have always installed Niles outdoor speakers kind of expensive but look and sound great!
post #44 of 53 Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I have dealt with sonance outdoor speakers some are overkill though they have outdoor tower speakers that are powered by an external secondary amp after hooking these up neighbors were screaming pretty much immediately! Sounded like a concert going on without the crowd.
post #45 of 53 Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

So now the funny story begins...

Little did I realize is that when I was comparing all the models, it was not apples to oranges.  The Def Techs were sold as a "single unit" each and all the rest were in pairs.  So when they showed up on Saturday - I only had one speaker.

So now I have to figure out what to do.  It is a fairly expensive move to ultimately get 3 more Def Techs - which is what I will need long term, as I do not want to mix and match speakers.  I need two speakers for the pool area and two for the patio area/dinner area.

I think I will have to take the Def Techs back and just get a pair of the Polks or the Emotiva's, nearly 1/2 the price and sticks to my original budget.  Dang the Def Techs look so great.  OH WELL, lesson learned.

Yes, they are more, but worth it.

My Gear
post #46 of 53 Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 19

Dang it again...

So I decided to buy the Emo's...then realized they are 4 OMH....my "receiver/AMP" I am using does 4 or 8, but only 4 if using a single set of speakers...i.e. A/B switch.  I will have my patios on A and my workout room on B....so in order to run 4 OMH speakers I would have to buy a new amp for my workout room or patio, etc....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looks like the Polks are going to win by default !!!

post #47 of 53 Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you're going to push them pretty hard it won't hurt your amp at all. If you do, then you'll have to get 8 ohm speakers.

post #48 of 53 Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Wire two of the 4 ohm speakers in series. Then you have two 8 ohm loads and 4 speakers playing and a happy receiver.
post #49 of 53 Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Doh! I forgot about doing that!

post #50 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've heard, the Polk's and the Definitive's both are pretty good, the Def Tech has a little more bass but the Polk's are pretty good as well.
post #51 of 53 Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I had the polks which sounded good but wanted something with a little more bottom end without adding an outdoor sub. The aw6500's sound very good, a lot of my friends have commented on them, all very positive. Keep an eye out, they can be had for less than msrp. I got mine refurbished from an ebay seller that deals with alot of definitive equipment, they looked new.

post #52 of 53 Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I'm going to put some outdoors up in my new screen porch and this thread gives me a great starting point
post #53 of 53 Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 AM

I vote for the Boston Acoustics Voyager series, and Polk Atriums are a decent second place.

They key to deciding is listening with some music that you are familiar with. The Boston and Polks sounded the best in the store for me (Boston had the edge), so I went with them. I also heard Def Tech, several JBLs, and others, about 25 models total. I did not get a chance to hear Emotiva (they did not have them back then, and being internet direct, that makes it tough).

A little about my experience:

I have had 2 pairs of BA Voyager 5's hanging for 6 years in an uncovered detached patio cover (slatted, not solid), so they have taken a weather beating (I'm in Southern California ~7 miles from coast, so no snow but plenty of sun and daily marine layer moisture).

I also have two of the 8" Voyager rock speakers RK8T2 w/ 2 tweeters each, in the back corners of the yard. I actually have a third one for the final corner / area of the back yard, but the others are doing so well to cover the space, I think it would be over-kill.

They all sound great, and the 8" rock speakers deliver very impressive bass. The 5's don't carry nearly as much (particularly since they are not up against a physical wall or corner), so I am supplementing them with a 8" subwoofer. If you use just the Boston 8" rock speakers, you will not require a separate sub, the bass from them is actually cleaner than from the 8" SpeakerCraft rock subwoofer.

Hope this helps for anyone stumbling on this thread.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Boston Acoustics , Atlantic Technology , Emotiva , Polk Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page