Elemental Designs Customer Service SUCKS!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry but I have to rant. They have the worst customer service. It took forever to receive my HT subwoofer. The woofer breaks down and I send in the AMP and speaker for repairs. Now 5 months later, after continuous emails with no reply. I have yet to know the status of my parts.

I would not deal with this company again.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

"Extreme"...Life's too short not to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Check out all of the other ED threads. Looks like you are out of luck. Everything has been taken off of their site.

post #3 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjoe View Post

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Yup, probably hundreds at this point. Do a little searching and you'll see that you're now a member of a club, but sadly it's not at all exclusive - eD took a lot of people down with them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Damn 5 months. Are turtles working on it?

Sony DA5700ES
PSB Image T5, PSB Image B5, PSB Image B4, PSB Image C4
post #5 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 534
There are two things you can do.

1. Contact your credit card company and see if you can dispute the charge.

2. Send an email to Steve.switzer@iowa.gov. He's the investigator from the Iowa Attorney General's office looking into this matter.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #6 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Such a shame. I was really interested in getting their eD Cinema 12s too. Wonder what's going on with them? mad.gif

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjoe View Post

I would not deal with this company again.

No one will be dealing with them anyway because they no longer exist. You should have read the eD thread here....

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #8 of 32 Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Such a shame. I was really interested in getting their eD Cinema 12s too. Wonder what's going on with them? mad.gif
Poorly managed, bad businessmen, warranty issues, a tanking economy, among other things comes to mind.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #9 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88 View Post

Damn 5 months. Are turtles working on it?

No one at eD was working on anything, they just accepted orders to pay their bills and then just ignored the customers.

I'm still kind of puzzled as to how people would be unaware of what is happening at eD, I mean there is numurous posts and threads over multiple forums, facebook page was deleted, products stripped off the site, eDs forum shut down.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

No one at eD was working on anything, they just accepted orders to pay their bills and then just ignored the customers.
I'm still kind of puzzled as to how people would be unaware of what is happening at eD, I mean there is numurous posts and threads over multiple forums, facebook page was deleted, products stripped off the site, eDs forum shut down.

That's too bad. If it's a high value item I would use the phone to try to get the money back asap. But if the company is in trouble than forget about it and just get something else from a more established brand. Less headaches.

Sony DA5700ES
post #11 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would use the phone to try to get the money back asap.

Thats one of the problems, Alex and the guys at eD don't answer the phone, they don't return voicemails, emails or any other forum of communication. There for a while when the forum was open and up and running they would delete very quickly anyone requesting status updates on undelivered products, Alex would deleted the post and say that the customer needs to call or email not post on the forum. But guess what he would not return the email and there was always and excuse when the customer called.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's too bad. If it's a high value item I would use the phone to try to get the money back asap. But if the company is in trouble than forget about it and just get something else from a more established brand. Less headaches.
You mean forget about trying to get your money back?

post #13 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Thats one of the problems, Alex and the guys at eD don't answer the phone, they don't return voicemails, emails or any other forum of communication. There for a while when the forum was open and up and running they would delete very quickly anyone requesting status updates on undelivered products, Alex would deleted the post and say that the customer needs to call or email not post on the forum. But guess what he would not return the email and there was always and excuse when the customer called.

Companies have gone down before and people never get their money back. If they intend to stay in business and keep trying to make money this way than it may be an issue for the authorities to look into. The FTC might help if the company fails to honor warranties.

@ Chu Gai. It depends on how much I paid.

Sony DA5700ES
post #14 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Well in a few months when I upgrade speakers and ED still doesn't have there act together I'm just gunna get JTR 888's instead of eD Cinema 12's. Or CHT SHO-10's if wanna save a lot of $$$.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #15 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
First, I feel bad for anyone who got ripped off by Elemental Designs and any other ID company that has gone down during this economy. This may be another reason to lament the demise of B&M stores. Even if your dealing with a local audio shop that has gone out of business, warranties could still be honored by other dealers that handle the same retail product built by an old, established manufacturer.

I know the popularity of ID products here at AVS, and for the most part, deservedly so. There are ID manufacturers of excellent performing products at great prices that offer high value. But we have to remember these are young companies and even with the ID business model, their markets are still limited. For example, just how many folks are out there looking for a superior performing subwoofer in comparison to the amount of ID companies offering them? We should all be careful moving foward and at least be aware that when making that great ID purchase, we run the risk of getting burned on warranty issues and in some cases, no product at all. Good luck to all.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #16 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 198
eD reputation finally caught up with them! IMO they never hit the ground running...signs were there from the ouset...it was only a matter of time. Just feel bad for those who got screwed but the red flags were in place.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #17 of 32 Old 08-26-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I still can't believe there were some people that was still shelling out thousands of dollars to eD knowing that it would take 6+ months to get the speakers shipped out. eDs stuff was ok but I don't understand why someone would speaker $1200 on a subwoofer and it take half a year to get it when we have great companys like HSU, SVS, Rythmik that send out product sameday or next afternoon. With people that actually answers the phone and responses to emails and have a gazillion times better quality and reliablity. Some said it took days or weeks to get ahold of eD using email, I emailed Power Sound Audio yesterday and got two replys within a few hours and they answered all my questions. I had hope that they could get things together this past winter when they posted the newsletter about downsizing to focus on core products, that didn't work out they went on as usual. Now I think we are better off with them gone.
post #18 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm screwed.

"Extreme"...Life's too short not to be.
post #19 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 75
ED is closing their doors on Friday. Here's the announcement: http://blog.edesignaudio.com/?p=1792
post #20 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
That's sad to see. ED was at one point one of the coolest companies out there for their sheer variety and custom options. It sounds like this Alex guy had no idea how to manage a business, and well, here we are.

Hopefully all of you guys that got screwed can get something back.
post #21 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yeah, it's too bad. From all accounts, it seemed like they had some great speakers.

post #22 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

. ED was at one point one of the coolest companies out there for their sheer variety and custom options.

All that custom work is what put them under. Custom subwoofers, custom Cinema speakers that took a very long time, this slowed down or stopped production of there bread and butter money makers like the basic subwoofers, A series speakers, and basic models of the cinema series. All those ran out of stock cause they couldn't make the custom stuff fast enough, which lead to less money, which leads us to today.

The successful companies like SVS, HSU, Axiom, Aperion kept focus on there core models and didn't do anything that would take focus away from what makes them money. Look at Axiom, they slowly introduced new products but only when they felt it was the right time. You don't see them throwing massive amount of options and models all at one time. SVS doesn't have 20 some subwoofer models and neither does HSU, neither has overlaping models like ED did. Look at what eD had, 3 10" models, 4-5 12" models, 2 15" models, 3 13av.2 models, 3 18" models, plus any custom job to any of them you want.
post #23 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I agree. They were very poorly managed.
post #24 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I respectfully disagree. I would contend simple mismanagement was the cause. You can sell 100 different hamburgers and still make money. They're all made out of the same thing. You will make MORE streamlining but will not go broke doing the 100. Now, if you buy a years worth of sardines for the marine burger-you may get into trouble. Nothing wrong with custom work as long as its done with proper markup and doesn't distract from profitable quick sellers. Ed's problems were more than likely caused by mismanagement and the amp fiasco
post #25 of 32 Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I thought about getting an a2-300 a long time ago, but the many amp issues from customers steered me away from the company. Also, just didn't get a good vibe from them making customers wait so long for products.

I'm sure they could have made some popular items in advance. At the least, make products quickly after ordering. Having customers wait months is terrible.
Billy p likes this.
post #26 of 32 Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

What a trashy company.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #27 of 32 Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159

Hmmmm amp problems, people getting "ripped off" starting to sound like BJ123........

post #28 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
WOW!!! I have not been here in a long time...and to hear this I'm just blown away. That really sucks for anyone who has money out for sure. I'm disgusted honestly. I thought Alex and the guys were different.
post #29 of 32 Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Crappy ending to their story for sure. I did manage to get a full refund just days before they went out of business....fortunate in that respect.
post #30 of 32 Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
I would have loved to buy some of their stuff on the cheap if I had known they were tanking. (minus any amps of course) ah well
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page