setup recommendation - add a center channel or tower speakers only? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of WF 34s powered by an Emotiva UPA-2 and a Yamaha RX-V867 in a 13x20 living room, plus a VTF2MK3 sub. There is a sale on my center channel speaker - the WC-24 for $200 and I am wondering if I should pick-up the speaker for my setup. My system does not have satellite speakers and I am wondering if it makes sense to add a center channel. Some people online have said that the center speaker tends to produce most of the vocals and would take-away from the tower speakers?

Let me know if adding a center channel makes sense. The sound from the 2.1 system is great, but it would be nice to have a fuller sound stage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3002
Sure. Adding the matching center is a good plus for your front sound stage for HT usage, although I would still run in 2 channel mode for music.

However, I be worried if your Yamaha will have enough power to keep that center up with the L/R if they are running full force with that Emotiva UPA-2.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sure. Adding the matching center is a good plus for your front sound stage for HT usage, although I would still run in 2 channel mode for music.
However, I be worried if your Yamaha will have enough power to keep that center up with the L/R if they are running full force with that Emotiva UPA-2.

Thanks - I'm just not sure $200 is worthwhile for the center channel given 2 channel mode sounds good with the sub right now. If anyone has been through a similar upgrade, feel free to give me your advice.

The receiver may underpower despite putting out 95W RMS and the center being rated for 90W. The sensitivity of the center channel is about 1dB lower as well.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 AM

Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachMe2 View Post

Thanks - I'm just not sure $200 is worthwhile for the center channel given 2 channel mode sounds good with the sub right now. If anyone has been through a similar upgrade, feel free to give me your advice.
The receiver may underpower despite putting out 95W RMS and the center being rated for 90W. The sensitivity of the center channel is about 1dB lower as well.

Today's sound is mixed with a center channel in mind. Ninety percent of dialogue is ported through the center channel and even if you don't have rear surround speakers, having a front set of three speakers and a sub, will be a "HUGE" improvement in the overall quality of the sound stage in front of you. FWIW, I recently upgraded our center channel for the improvement doing so provides. If you have the money, don't hesitate to pickup this matching center channel as again, today's mixing efforts are done with the expectation of the viewer having a center channel. Today's mixing is done with the understanding that there will be a separate center channel speaker for the center channel information to be reproduced by.

FWIW, your current amplifier is more than up to the task of handling the addition of a center channel. As to the 1dB difference in sensitivity, that can easily be corrected for by turning the internal center channel gain up a dB. Your system is not intended to blow the roof off but instead is intended to give the user a reasonable sonic experience. If you're wanting more then generally accepted loud listening conditions, you'll need to add amplifiers but if your wife is sitting next to you saying "Turn it down!: you're good to go.

-
teachMe2 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like for HT a center channel is a good upgrade to make. I think that $200 is a good deal for these speakers and would open up my setup nicely. For music, the speakers sound good so no need to worry there.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachMe2 View Post

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like for HT a center channel is a good upgrade to make. I think that $200 is a good deal for these speakers and would open up my setup nicely. For music, the speakers sound good so no need to worry there.

I'll look forward to reading your feedback once you have the center channel installed and dialed in.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page